Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 49 of 128
16 May 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Total Mandarin Vocabulary CD1 finished. We're learning more words each lesson and I'm still able to memorize, even without listening again to any lesson, about the same amount of words, at least 4 out of each 5 words.

My first reading of the book "The Sounds of Chinese" is almost over. I'll write more about it later on.

I'll start the "Basic Spoken Chinese" tomorrow or after tomorrow, for some reasons, namely: this is not going to be my main course, I want some drills and repetitions (which won't come from MT), it feels that I've got enough phonetical/phonological studies, although, of course, much more is still needed, I want some easier activities for the night period.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Zomxilla
New Zealand
Joined 4007 days ago

24 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 50 of 128
16 May 2013 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Fantastic!

I'm also learning Mandarin, but as a second language. I honestly had no idea you weren't
a native English speaker until I looked at your language summary. :O!!

Once you get into learning characters, it might be worth looking at Memrise, and
searching for HSK Level 1. It gives a great kick start to recognising characters. I love
learning about the etymology behind each character, and the history of Mandarin itself is
incredibly intriguing. You're going to have a fantastic time!
1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 51 of 128
17 May 2013 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Zomxilla wrote:
I honestly had no idea you weren't a native English speaker until I looked at your language summary. :O!!

This is quite a compliment, thank you very much. However, I'm well aware that I still need to improve my English a lot.

Zomxilla wrote:
Once you get into learning characters, it might be worth looking at Memrise, and searching for HSK Level 1. It gives a great kick start to recognising characters. I love learning about the etymology behind each character, and the history of Mandarin itself is incredibly intriguing. You're going to have a fantastic time!

I've enjoyed Memrise during my dabbling with Turkish. It may be included on my list, but my first attempt will be to use "Learning Chinese Characters" by Matthews, SRSing it with Pleco. Let's see how it works.

Thanks for the links in your log, which I've alrady included on my log's list of links.

Unit 1, part 1 of "Basic Spoken Chinese" (including "Practice Essentials") done today. It seems that I'll enjoy having this as an extra and light Mandarin exercise.

Edited by Flarioca on 17 May 2013 at 4:44pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 52 of 128
23 May 2013 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Unit 1 of "Basic Spoken Chinese" just finished. I think that this will give me the right amount of drills, neither too much (aka FSI) nor zero. This is not going to be my main course, but mostly for night drills.

Part 3 of unit 1 scared me a bit, because of the almost impossible to listen main dialog, but everything else went ok.

How am I doing it:

Day 1:

1) Listen to main dialog without reading the pinyin transcript and the English translation.

2) Listen to the "Build Up" section, book closed.

3) Listen to the main dialog once more, book closed.

4) Listen and read pinyin + English.

5) Listen to "Supplementary Vocabulary" reading the English translation.

6) Read "Grammatical and Cultural Notes". Just reading, not trying to memorize or going deep into that. However, sometimes I'm going back to some of those explanations.

7) Listen to the "Listening Comprehension" exercises. Listen again and answer to the questions.

Day 2:

1) Listen once more to the main dialog and the two listening comprehension dialogs.

2) Substitution Drills

3) Transformation and Response Drills

Besides that, I'm listening again all main dialogs and listening comprehension dialogs while commuting.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 53 of 128
25 May 2013 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Total Mandarin Vocabulary finished today. I'll try to finish the Perfect Vocabulary at most by the beginning of June. It must be said (or repeated?) that to be able to read Mandarin is my first and foremost priority.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 54 of 128
30 May 2013 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
Perfect Mandarin Vocabulary CD1 finished. I'll finish the MT Perfect Mandarin Vocabulary CDs 1 and 2 very quickly and next week start to study Chinese characters.

Both "Michel Thomas Mandarin" and the book "The Sounds of Chinese" have been great not only to help me learn more about Mandarin, but also to improve my enthusiasm and curiosity about this language. As soon as I find some more free time, I'll write my opinion about them.

Edit: Total Vocabulary was already finished. I was really tired yesterday :-))

Edited by Flarioca on 30 May 2013 at 5:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 55 of 128
04 June 2013 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
MT Vocabulary course finished, it means MT Mandarin finished. I'm glad I did it and will write a review about it here asap.

Tomorrow I'll start to study Chinese Characters through "Learning Chinese Characters" by Matthews as well as start using Pleco as my SRS system. It must be said that I've been waiting for this moment long before the beginning of this log.

Zomxilla
New Zealand
Joined 4007 days ago

24 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 56 of 128
04 June 2013 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Flarioca wrote:
MT Vocabulary course finished, it means MT Mandarin finished. I'm glad
I did it and will write a review about it here asap.

Tomorrow I'll start to study Chinese Characters through "Learning Chinese Characters" by
Matthews as well as start using Pleco as my SRS system. It must be said that I've been
waiting for this moment long before the beginning of this log.

Pleco is awesome! If you are on Android, there might still be the special deal where you
get the free add-on for handwriting. I'd also recommend purchasing the stroke order add-
on - it is invaluable for quick reference and learning writing.

This discussion contains 128 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version