Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 17 of 128
24 March 2013 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to a HTLAL thread by iguanamon, one may discover a nice website about Chinese Characters Network.

Some people might be very interested about their proposed (if I get it right) Learning Order List.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 18 of 128
26 March 2013 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Total Mandarin CD 4 is over.

It seems that both "The Sounds of Chinese" and the MT course will be finished at about the same time. Well, at least I have both 25% completed ...

Of course, there'll still be lots of work about pronunciation and I've even bought another book, namely "McGraw-Hill's Chinese Pronunciation with CD-ROM".
1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 19 of 128
27 March 2013 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
The paper "Effects of hanyu pinyin on pronunciation in learners of Chinese as a foreign language" makes me even more sure about my decisions of learning Zhuyin and working hard on Mandarin phonetics/phonology.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 20 of 128
28 March 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Although I'm not yet learning the Chinese characters, it was clear that I should see how to input characters. This was very easy for my iPhone, even more with Pleco, which is already configued to show Zhuyin.

For my PC, the solution, possibly not the best one but it works, was to install the tradional Chinese keyboard, configure to zhuyin input and add simplified characters to the set of characters. I've also added the CNS 11643 character set, though I don't really know how this affects everything.

My obvious first use of this new keyboard configuration: 你好吗

There's also this interesting Zhuyin online input site.

Edited by Flarioca on 28 March 2013 at 5:06pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 21 of 128
29 March 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
My Zhuyin keyboard stickers have arrived and now it's clear for me that besides other advantages of Zhuyin, its keyboard layout is quite logical and interesting.

I'm still trying to memorize some of these symbols but I'm already able to use them in my keyboard, because the pattern is so simple to understand.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 22 of 128
31 March 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Total Mandarin Chinese CD 5 has been finished today and my pace is not likely to increase.

Although I still haven't memorized all Zhunyin symbols, it's already very easy to use them in order to enter Chinese characters, which I'm not yet studying, though my "contact" with them increased during these "phonetical experiments".

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 23 of 128
03 April 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
I'm starting to use the pause button, which I didn't do during the first 5 CDs. It makes the lessons much more enjoyable, which also means that I'm increasing my daily amount of MT.

I must also admit that I'm testing my phonetic awareness, trying to look for some words in my so far preferred online dictionary, typing Zhuyin whenever possible (sometimes Pyinin or even English are needed to check it out).

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 24 of 128
05 April 2013 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
TMC 6 finished. The use of the pause button, even when the answer doesn't seem hard to get to, has been a wise decision. I'm forgetting the words less and less.

However, I must also admit that whenever a new word is presented, I try to test if the corresponding sound has been well understood and if I can write it using Zhuyin. Which means that I'm also seeing the word's Pinyin (and its Chinese Character as well, but without trying at all to learn it now).

This discussion contains 128 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version