Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 105 of 128
18 October 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Are you L-R-ing those books or just reading them? Besides, how did you get them?

To tell you the truth, I don't believe that LR alone (as advertized by the original LR person) could help you learn a language far removed from your own. Of course, some kind of listening and reading are always there and, well, that's how we learn languages, no other way. Anyway, I wouldn't talk much about this, unless you really want to, and we could do that here in Portuguese.

"Susan you mafan" and "Anna mei banfa" don't have CDs with the corresponding audio. "The Lady in the Painting" and the Chinese Breeze series do have the CD audio with the whole text. They also have some comprehension exercises which, I hope, are going to be interesting.

I bought all of them from Amazon.

Edited by Flarioca on 18 October 2013 at 12:24am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 106 of 128
18 October 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
I like the book Étape par Étape so much that I postponed a lot its start! It
works like a neat reader, it has nice formatting and it is in French! I got it from a
friend and I'd like to recommend it. Just started it today, and lesson 1 was very easy,
which means I learned a lot since last time I had a look at it, and now i hope it will
bring me even further (maybe not till B2 as it claims but at least it will consolidate me
at B1).

Edited by Expugnator on 18 October 2013 at 6:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 107 of 128
19 October 2013 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I like the book Étape par Étape so much that I postponed a lot its start!

Thanks for the suggestion. Since Leilei Li is the author of both this and M90, it'd be a good idea to use it. However, this seems to be a hard to find book+CD.

Anyway, I still have plenty of time to decide about which course to use after Méthode 90.

Hoje comprei na Livraria Cultura uma "Antologia da Poesia Clássica Chinesa", editada pela Unesp, de 2012. Eles usam caracteres simplificados e embora eu, obviamente, ainda não consiga ler nada, só o fato de identificar alguns caracteres e mesmo entender algumas pouquíssimas frases já me deixa feliz.

Edited by Flarioca on 19 October 2013 at 1:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 108 of 128
21 October 2013 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Parece muito boa esta edição bilíngue, mas é chinês clássico? Não deve ser né, porque usa
caracteres simplificados, mas aí eu fico imaginando como eles fizeram essas adaptações.

In case you want to have a look at Étape par Étape, don't hesitate to PM me.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 109 of 128
22 October 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Parece muito boa esta edição bilíngue, mas é chinês clássico? Não deve ser né, porque usa
caracteres simplificados, mas aí eu fico imaginando como eles fizeram essas adaptações.

Li pouco sobre chinês clássico, mas esse livro trata de um período que me parece intermediário, já não é propriamente o do chinês clássico, embora ainda usassem essa forma muitos séculos depois, segundo entendi.

Em todo caso, apesar do emprego dos caracteres simplificados, os autores nem justificam muito ou tentam explicar mudanças, exceto o da ordem de leitura, da esquerda para a direita.

De certa forma, fico feliz com isso, pois não pretendo aprender nem os caracteres tradicionais, nem o chinês clássico, espero que tudo de mais importante tenha sido já transcrito nos caracteres simplificados.

Expugnator wrote:
In case you want to have a look at Étape par Étape, don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks, I'll do that when the time to decide among the many possibilities arrives.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 110 of 128
23 October 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Finished "Susan you mafan". A slightly surrealistic story, with some very low frequency words (dogsled, moose, guinea pig, etc.) but even this may be interesting, because we must anyway be prepared to the fact that for a long time there'll be the need of searching dictionaries/glossaries a lot.

I'd certainly recomend this book for anyone starting to study Mandarin. Once you know about 300 characters, it's ok to start.

My only complaints are: Some few characters are traditional, not simplified, throughout the book. The glossary is incomplete. Both Chinese characters and English fonts could be improved, as well as book format, as a whole.

An audio CD would improve the usefulness of this book, and some exercises to verify comprehension would be nice.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 111 of 128
31 October 2013 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Another graded reader: "The Secret Garden", for the Kindle on iPhone.

I cannot read on the iPhone for a long time, but I cannot as well read Mandarin for a long time. So, it seems a good idea to read in small dosis, whenever possible, wherever I happen to be with some extra time.

The Kindle on iPhone doesn't allow you to easily use Pleco, but there's this free downloadable Mandarin-English dictionary, which must be more than enough at my present level.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 112 of 128
06 November 2013 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
The long-waited Pleco 3.0 update has been released. I haven't yet explored most of the new features, but from the changes I've seen so far it's possible to say that what was already very good becomes even better. Great job from Pleco's people!!

Since Pleco is possibly going to be more and more among my most important Mandarin study tools, this brings a feeling like seating on a good and trustworthy car for a long trip.

Edited by Flarioca on 06 November 2013 at 2:12pm

This discussion contains 128 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version