Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 33 of 128
14 April 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
I've just finished Total Mandarin Chinese!

At this point, I can say things like "my girlfriend says I cannot go", "your Chinese teacher is very busy", "he lives in Beijing but today he is in London", "she would like to buy a lot of things but her mother says that she cannot do that now", "my book is under the table".

Moreover, I've learned the basic things about tones, but not tone sandhi, as complained by people here and now also by me. I've also learned some general features of Mandarin and practiced the sounds of Chinese in real context.

Of course, I cannot yet claim even A1 level, if nothing else because I still cannot read anything in Chinese Characters. Also because I still don't know how to say "right" and "left", which means that I cannot ask for directions :-))
1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 34 of 128
15 April 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Warning

The "Total Mandarin Chinese Vocabulary" course requires the "Perfect Mandarin Chinese".

I had already both, but, with all due respect, I don't think that this is fair.

Edited by Flarioca on 15 April 2013 at 4:49pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 35 of 128
17 April 2013 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
Another interesting iPhone app: Learn Chinese in 3D, see also this video.

The video doesn't explain much and there isn't a site where we could find more information about this app.

The 3D and genealogy lead to a really nice way to see groups of characters and words.

However, this program lacks lots of important features, like the possibility to easily choose which characters/words to study. It's also unclear how its SRS works. Anyway, the first level is free and seems worth a try.

Edited by Flarioca on 20 April 2013 at 5:34am

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 36 of 128
20 April 2013 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I prefer things explained to me, whenever possible, very often with the necessary warning "for the best of our knowledge".

That said, it seems that the book "The Sounds of Chinese" fits very well the way I like to learn things. Now I start to understand why some combinations of initials and finals doesn't exist. Indeed, we learn that the reason for that is very simple: allophony.

It's also very encouraging to read the phrase "Standard Chinese has only five vowel phonemes".

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 37 of 128
20 April 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Finished Perfect Mandarin Chinese CD1 today. There's no difference at all between Total and Perfect, just more and more words and patterns.

I've listened a little bit of the first lesson of the Vocabulary course, and in this case the native speaker speaks each phrase twice, the second time being closer to normal speed.

Edited by Flarioca on 20 April 2013 at 5:27pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 38 of 128
23 April 2013 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
There was already on my list a link to the site Arch Chines that seem to have great stuff about Chinese Characters.

However, the section Character Stroke Order Basic Rules seems to be especially good.

Even if I'm not going to worry much about writing in the beginning, I'll try to learn these rules as soon as I start to study the Chinese Characters mnemonics book.

Edited by Flarioca on 23 April 2013 at 3:36am

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 39 of 128
25 April 2013 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
Chapter 4 of "The Sounds of Chinese" discusses something about tone sandhi. However, as I already suspected after listening to Chinese radio sendings, real tone usage is much more complex than a simple explanation could allow one to understand.

For sure, one must learn the basic patterns, but be warned that you'll need to learn it much more deeply in order to understand normal speech.

This subject of tone sandhi will be presented once more and more deeply in chapter 9.

This book is much deeper than a first approach to these subjects could possibly allow most people to learn. Indeed, I'm not trying hard to understand everything completely. However, after reading this book, I'm sure that I'll be able to use it in the future, whenever a doubt in Chinese phonetics appears.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5003 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 40 of 128
25 April 2013 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Flarioca, I've just discovered this thread, and will be saving many of your links and resources for my own
later use; and for sharing with other Mandarin learners. - Thanks!

This discussion contains 128 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version