Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 9 of 128
15 March 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
The MT course CD 1 is over, CD 2 is almost over too. By the way, the tonal change for "bù" has been explained on CD 2 lesson 7. My pace is slowly increasing, but this will probably change next week.

It seems time to study more about phonetics. I've started to use Tone Trainer on my iPhone and this may be a helpful activity. I'll start "The Sounds of Chinese" at most tomorrow.

1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 10 of 128
16 March 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Some simple but very important stuff already on Chapter 1 of "The Sounds of Chinese":

1) The differences between phonetics (how sounds are produced, its properties and perception) and phonology (which and how sounds are used in a given language) and how this is important to learn Mandarin.

2) The following scheme:

Edited by Flarioca on 13 April 2013 at 6:56am

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 11 of 128
18 March 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I'll also start to learn zhuyin fuhao very soon and any help in this direction will be welcome.

And just a test to see how it looks like here: ㄨㄛˇ ㄏㄣˇ ㄏㄠˇ

Edited by Flarioca on 18 March 2013 at 9:55pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 12 of 128
19 March 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Although Harold Goodman already on lesson 1 explicitly says that we shouldn't reinforce or repeat anything, I decided to listen again to some previous lessons.

However, after three sections of repetitions, it's now clear for me that this is not very useful and can even be slightly annoying.

As we all know, MT has a lot of English content (yes, I need to improve my English, but this wouldn't be the best way) and the students speak at a very slow pace.

Besides, in a lesson where more complex phrases were been worked out, they've also remembered "ni hao ma", which means that they know how much repetition you still need.

From now on, I'll just trust MT (or HG, if you prefer) and let's see how far the sheer attentive listening plus answering to MT will lead me.

Edited by Flarioca on 19 March 2013 at 3:05pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 13 of 128
20 March 2013 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I've already a new Anki deck for Consonants, Rhymes and Medials with the Zhuyin symbols as questions and its corresponding sounds, IPA and Pinyin symbols as answers. I hope to start studying this deck next week, if I manage to finish the chapter 3 from "The Sounds of Chinese".

There is this interesting Youtube video with a girl who shows her facial movements while producing all these Chinese sounds. The introduction of "Basic Spoken Chinese" is also very useful for this initial phonetical studies.

The downloadable ChinesePod Pinyin Chart (with sounds) is also worth mentioning.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 14 of 128
21 March 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Total CD 3 is over. I'm not making any effort to memorize things ... and I'm forgetting some easy words, but maybe not much more than I would anyway.

On the other hand, the increase in the phonetical awareness seems to help me in all areas, even in the retention of new words. No surprise, of course, language is up and foremost sound.

After reading some nice reviews about Méthode 90, I've decided to buy it and the corresponding CDs. Tell me about "language learning may help you to become rich" ...

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 15 of 128
22 March 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm aware that the exact IPA symbols for some of the Zhuyin syllables are disputed, but I'm sure that this will be good enough to help me to understand and speak Mandarin.

The IPA-Zhuyin association comes from Wikipedia and the book "The Sounds of Chinese". The picture is a modified version (IPA instead of Pinyin) of a French Wikipedia image.

Edited by Flarioca on 13 April 2013 at 6:55am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 16 of 128
23 March 2013 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
Although a good foundation on Mandarin phonetics and phonology will certainly be essential for me in order to feel confident about the next steps of this endeavour, and I won't hurry it, I'm already eager to start learning learning the Chinese characters.

Anyway, these three links seem worth mentioning. The first one will even help me to use German!!

Täglich Chinesisch
Chinese-characters.org
Chinese Etymology

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 128 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version