Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 384
26 July 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
December 2014 update: I'm joining TAC again in 2015, even though I hadn't planned on it. I've decided to join
a TAC team for Spanish and another for Tagalog.

I've moved away from learning Spanish and am focused on simply using it instead. My current approach
is to exclusively use native materials (novels, podcasts, TV shows, conversation partners). The short version: I
want to improve my conversational skills; read lots; and understand Spanish movies and television. I'm currently
working on the Super Challenge (reading 100 50-page "books" and watching 100 90-minute "movies" in 15
months).

I'm also working (very slowly) on learning Tagalog. I started a separate Tagalog log in May 2014, but I decided to
merge the two logs to keep updates more manageable. While my focus was on anki, a textbook-and-workbook
course (Elementary Tagalog), and conversations on Skype, my motivation completely crashed and burned in Fall
2014. Now I've abdicated all responsibility and am using Rosetta Stone. Yes, I do see the irony in using a program
that I've disparaged for the past decade. I plan on finishing all three levels in the next few months and then
jumping back into my other resources.

my original Tagalog log

Thanks for reading!

Hello!

I'm new to this forum. While I've been teaching languages for years, I never even
thought about looking for online language learning communities. Then when I dove into
learning Spanish, I stumbled upon one blog, which led me to another, which led me to
another, which led me to a forum, which led me to create a blog of my own, which led me
to another forum, which...well, I'm sure you understand.

Anyway, my goal is to be fluent in Spanish by March 2014, when I'll be heading to Spain
for six weeks to walk the Camino de Santiago. Today marks the two-month point since I
started studying, so I figured I may as well start a video log - even if seeing/hearing
myself on video makes me cringe a bit.

I wish I could start over and make videos on day one, and at the end of month one!
I'll have to remember to do that when I start learning my next language.

Anyway, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVAxybAtNk

Until September 11th 2013 (post # 82), I kept a daily log of minutes spent on Spanish, since I was participating
in the six-week challenge. As of post # 83, my posts are more general and don't include a daily break-down of
tasks.

post 83+

Edited by Stelle on 21 December 2014 at 4:17pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 2 of 384
29 July 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Hola! I've decided to ramp up my study time by adding a few 30-minute Skype tutor
sessions. I already do 5 weekly language exchanges (30 mins Spanish, 30 mins
French/English) and 2 hours of tutoring, but I need as much conversation practice as I
can get.

The more I talk on Skype, the less helpful I find other tools. A lot of the "beginner
Spanish" activities that I did at first are less helpful now, since conversation practice
is helping me progress so much faster.

If you're learning a language, I strongly recommend practicing with native speakers!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 3 of 384
02 August 2013 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if I'm doing this learning log thing right, but here goes!

I joined the six-week challenge. My goal is to spend 180 minutes (3 hours) every day on
language learning. I said that I work part-time, because my schedule is flexible. One
day I work lots, the next I don't work at all.

Every day, I try to hit five categories:
talk to someone
listen to something
read something
write something
practice vocabulary

Here's a more detailed explanation of how I view those categories:
http://www.tobefluent.com/2013/07/29/how-i-self-study-spanis h-dont-overcomplicate-
things/

Anyway, here are my numbers from day one:

talk to someone: 90 minutes
- 60 minutes with Skype Spanish tutor
- 30 minutes (half of a one-hour block of time) with Skype language partner

listen to something: 26 minutes
- 20 minutes listening to two podcasts on Notes in Spanish
- 6 minutes listening to my song of the week twice

read something: 20 minutes
- Charlie y la fábrica de chocolate. I'm almost done this book, and I understand the
vast majority of it. Of course, I've read it several times in English already...

write something: 10 minutes
- stem-changing verbs - chapter 8 of Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses

practice vocabulary: 38 minutes
- Anki. This is about 3 times longer than I usually spend on Anki, but I've been
neglecting inputting new vocabulary, so that took me a long time today. Inputting it
was a good review. Tomorrow, I'm going to dig through some of my recent Skype sessions
and add some more vocab to Anki.

TOTAL MINUTES: 184

Good start to the challenge!
3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4629 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 4 of 384
02 August 2013 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
Good luck!

EDIT: By the way, I like your simplified category system. As someone who is constantly, consistently changing his study schedule, I may borrow that for my own studies, if you don't mind. :)

Edited by kujichagulia on 02 August 2013 at 2:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4116 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 5 of 384
02 August 2013 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
After seeing your video, I thought your Spanish is unbelievably good for two months. You already had a base, though, so I guess that more than starting from scratch, a lot must have come back to you at the start.

The small details I noticed in it are that you spell R like you would in French, and stumble a bit as to where to use what preposition (as in "soy de ...., estoy en ...., voy a....").

Todo se arregla con práctica. ;)
Buena suerte!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 6 of 384
02 August 2013 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Good luck!

EDIT: By the way, I like your simplified category system. As someone who is constantly,
consistently changing his study schedule, I may borrow that for my own studies, if you
don't mind. :)

I had to simplify. I found that I was spending as much time at first tweaking my schedule
as actually studying! Ha!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 7 of 384
02 August 2013 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
After seeing your video, I thought your Spanish is unbelievably
good for two months. You already had a base, though, so I guess that more than starting
from scratch, a lot must have come back to you at the start.

The small details I noticed in it are that you spell R like you would in French, and
stumble a bit as to where to use what preposition (as in "soy de ...., estoy
en ...., voy a....").

Todo se arregla con práctica. ;)
Buena suerte!

Thanks for the tips and feedback! Yes, prepositions are a huge stumbling block! So are
verb tenses.

I did have a small Spanish base before starting - although I think that I passed what I
already knew within the first week or two. Still, it really helped when I was first
starting out. My university course wasn't that great. I was able to conjugate verbs,
but couldn't speak, understand, or read much. The verbs, sadly, haven't come back to me
yet. I have to do some old-fashioned grammar study, since right now I'm only really
comfortable with the present tense.

I actually think that my French fluency helps me more than my 15-year-old first year
introduction to Spanish course. I use French as a crutch for vocab and grammar. Of
course, it doesn't always work - as you can see from the way that I butcher
prepositions. Ha! Again, some grammar study is in order.

I have two Practice Makes Perfect workbooks: Spanish Verb Tenses and Pronouns &
Prepositions. I think that I should commit to spending at least 20 minutes on grammar
every day during the challenge. My tutor isn't wild about the Practice Makes Perfect
series - too much English, too many translations - but it's what I have, so it's what
I'll use.

According to my tutor, my fluency level (ease of communication) is somewhere around a
B1 right now, but my knowledge of verb tenses and grammatical structures is lower than
that. So I'm not sure where I'd be if I tested - maybe A2?

Edited by Stelle on 02 August 2013 at 11:14am

JCTranslator
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3917 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, Mandarin, Italian, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 384
02 August 2013 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
I used Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses and I found it great! The explanations were particularly good.

It looks like you're making great progress, you have much more gumption than I when it comes to speaking! I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on over the coming year.

¡Buena suerte!

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version