Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3944 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 81 of 384
12 September 2013 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Today is officially the last day of the six-week challenge. Total for the challenge: 107.97 hours!

183 minutes

talk to someone: 90 minutes
- Skype exchange
- Skype tutoring session

listen to something: 20 minutes
- Destinos episode 42

read something: 20 minutes
- Charlie y el ascensor de cristal

write something: 31 minutes
- future tense

practice vocabulary: 22 minutes
- anki
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3944 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 82 of 384
12 September 2013 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
My latest blog post:

What I learned from the six-
week challenge

2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3944 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 83 of 384
22 September 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Hola!

Since the end of the six-week challenge, I've had to shorten the amount of time every day that I spend on
Spanish. I'm still studying, practicing, learning, reading, listening - but I can't do it for 3 hours every day
anymore! I've started back at my full-time job (intensive French class for adults - seven hours per day for 10
months), and I also have five private students spread throughout the week, and a few writing contracts to keep
up with. So my time is definitely more limited than it was over the summer, when I was only working part-time! I
don't know how often I'll be updating my blog, either.

I'm trying to build a schedule that works for me. Anki in the morning, grammar books at some point in the day,
reading before bed - these are all no-brainers by now. They're well-established routines. Whereas I used to be
able to talk to someone on Skype nearly every day, I've had to cut that down. So now I do a language exchange
(30 mins Spanish, 30 mins French or English) 3 times a week, and an hour-long tutoring session twice a week.
I'm still speaking Spanish 5 times a week, but it's really not the same as talking every single day for 60-90
minutes.

I know that i need to keep focusing on listening. I'm still watching Missing (love that show!), but at the rate of
about an episode a week. It takes me 30 minutes to get through 15 minutes of the episode (I watch each scene
twice, once with subtitles and once without). I've burned a bunch of Notes in Spanish advanced podcasts to CD so
that I can listen to them in the car on the way in and out of work. I figure that I've got about a month's worth of
podcasts before I'm finished with all of them. At that point, I'd like to find some good shows on Spanish national
radio and burn them to CD for the commute.

Yesterday, I started experimenting with FSI. I don't know if this is a step backwards. I'd planned on switching to
all-native materials soon. But I go on very long walks every day, and I'm curious to see if the FSI audio will help
improve my grammar and automaticity. Because I already know a good amount of Spanish, I don't find that I need
the book - well, with the exception of a few words that I've never learned (ashtray, for instance). It took me 45
minutes to get through unit 3, just listening, repeating and responding. I think I'll keep doing it for now, since I
like how quickly my walks go when I'm focusing on pattern drills. Podcasts and audiobooks tend to make me
walk more slowly rather than more quickly. But if/when FSI starts feeling tedious, I'll reevaluate whether or not I
want to continue.

I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a fourth language. While I want to keep focusing on Spanish, I
really want to start learning Tagalog too. Right now, the timing's not great, but since my husband is filipino, I'd
have a built-in practice partner. So I wouldn't need to find time for Skype language exchanges. I also wouldn't
have the timeline that I have in Spanish. My goal with Tagalog is conversational fluency, but it's ok if it takes me a
reeeeeaaaally long time to get there. Even a five-minute conversation would impress my inlaws. Haha! So I'm
thinking that I might start a half-hour of Tagalog every day at the beginning of November, which will be about
the six-month point of learning Spanish.

I enjoy my job. I'm one of those fortunate few who actually like what they're doing. But I really wish I had more
time to work on languages!

Edited by Stelle on 22 September 2013 at 1:51pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3944 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 84 of 384
23 September 2013 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Day three of FSI. So far, the drills are really easy. I'd be surprised if they weren't, seeing as how I've been pretty
immersed in Spanish for the past several months (well, as immersed as one can be part-time from home,
anyway). It actually fits in nicely with my current schedule, since I'm not replacing anything with FSI - I'm just
adding FSI to my daily walk. I walk around the park talking out loud to myself. I'm going to become a
neighbourhood "character" if I'm not careful. Ha!

I don't think that I would replace authentic native materials with FSI, but it's nice to be able use it during
otherwise "dead" time.

Now that I'm working full-time, I'm aiming for 2 hours of Spanish every day. I'm finding it surprisingly easy so far
to surpass that:

- 45 minutes FSI while walking after work
- 30 minutes podcasts while in the car (15 minutes each way)
- 30-60 minutes language exchange/tutoring OR part of an episode of Missing after supper
- 15-20 minutes anki in the morning while drinking my coffee
- 15-20 minutes reading before bed

...ends up being 135-175 minutes every day.

The only thing that I'm having a hard time fitting in is working through my grammar study guides. I know that
they're important. I wish that I had a bit of downtime during the workday where I could fit in 20 minutes or so,
but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I'll have to figure out when to fit in this more serious "study time".

Edited by Stelle on 23 September 2013 at 11:07pm

BonneVivante
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4658 days ago

33 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 85 of 384
24 September 2013 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
This is my first time checking your log and I just wanted to say that I've learned a lot from reading about your approach. I especially like the idea of a Skype language exchange; once I'm ready I'll definitely incorporate that into my learning.

Good luck with your continued progress in Spanish!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3944 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 86 of 384
25 September 2013 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
BonneVivante wrote:
This is my first time checking your log and I just wanted to say that I've learned a lot from
reading about your approach. I especially like the idea of a Skype language exchange; once I'm ready I'll definitely
incorporate that into my learning.

Good luck with your continued progress in Spanish!

Thanks for the kind words! Good luck to you in French!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3944 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 87 of 384
27 September 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
about books

I finished Charlie y el gran ascensor de cristal. While I enjoyed reading it because I enjoyed the fact that I
understood it, I didn't love the story. It was rambling and unfocused.

I started a new book: Las Brujas by Roald Dahl. It's such a great story! While reading in Spanish used to be a fun
challenge, now it's just fun. I'm really happy about this - reading has always been a pleasure for me, and while I
love being challenged, I also enjoy just relaxing with a good book before bed. I take joy in the fact that I can
"relax" with a book written in Spanish.

After Las Brujas, I'm going back to Harry Potter. It's quite a bit more difficult that the Dahl books, so I was
reading it in tandem with an English copy. While I enjoy tandem reading, my schedule has gotten quite a bit
tighter in the last week, so instead of multiple reading sessions every day, i find myself with only one. And I'd
really rather read extensively instead of intensively. I decided to put down Harry Potter for now and wait until my
skills are developed enough to read it on its own.

about drills

I finished unit 8 of FSI Spanish yesterday. I've fallen into a routine that works well for me: go for a 45 minute walk
after work, while listening and responding to a unit of FSI. So far I haven't had to repeat any units, since there
isn't much new information yet. At first I was worried that starting FSI would be a step backwards in my learning,
but I'm absolutely loving it. I find it almost meditative to do the drills while walking. I know that eventually I'll hit
a wall in FSI, where I'll have to start referring back to the text and repeating units, but for now I'll just keep doing
what I'm doing.

As weird as it sounds, I LOVE substitution drills.

about listening comprehension

I've been listening to an advanced podcast from Notes in Spanish every day during the drive to and from work.
My commute is only about 15 minutes one way, so I have time to listen to it once on the way in and again on the
way back. I understand very well the first time - but it's amazing how much more I get from the second listen!
Between FSI and podcasts, I get more than an hour of Spanish every day - even if life gets in the way and I do
nothing else in the evening.

I'm at episode 6 of Desaparecida. I still love the show, although I have yet to move away completely from using
the English subtitles. I can understand every word from some of the characters, but others speak too quickly or
drop consonants at the end of their words - they give me a hard time. I'm now watching a scene first without
subtitles, and only repeating it with subtitles if I think I might have missed something important.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3944 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 88 of 384
28 September 2013 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
I think I jinxed myself with my last post here, since I had to repeat a unit of FSI. I'm not 100% comfortable with
the present perfect, so unit 9 was tough for me. I ran through the whole thing yesterday with difficulty, read over
the text this morning, and then repeated the unit. It was much, much better the second time.

I do find that I struggle sometimes with the sound quality of the first dialogue. It's hard to repeat when I can't
quite make out what they're saying. The drills are ok, since they build on each other, but I'm sometimes a bit
frustrated with the dialogue. From now on, I think I'm going to use a different approach with FSI:

1. At home, listen to the first dialogue once, and then listen to it again while reading the text. This won't take
more than a few minutes, since I'm not going to do any repetitions at home - just listen to the original dialogue.
(2 minutes)

2. Walk while doing the whole unit - listening, repeating, responding to drills. (45ish minutes, depending on the
unit)

3. Take a glance at the text, read the grammar explanations, make sure that I've understood everything. Listen to
the last three or four dialogues again, this time reading along with the text. (15-20 minutes)

4. IF NECESSARY: repeat the unit the next day. If I didn't struggle with it the first time, I won't bother with this
step.

Edited by Stelle on 28 September 2013 at 4:12pm

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version