Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
384 messages over 48 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33 ... 47 48 Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5051 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 257 of 384
25 May 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
¡Enhorabuena, Stelle! ¡Bienvenida al mundo de hispanoparlantes! It's always good to see someone move a language over to the "speaks" column. You did it by making it happen consistently and persistently. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 258 of 384
01 June 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Over the next month, I'm planning on a big push in Tagalog. We'll be heading home to visit family for the first
time since last Christmas, and I'd *really* like to be able to hold my own in a very basic conversation with my in-
laws.

That doesn't mean that I won't keep up with Spanish, though! This week, in addition to keeping up with anki, I
did:

One 60-minute Skype chat. Honestly, one isn't enough. I'm finding that my conversation feels awkward
sometimes. I'm not losing the Spanish that I gained when I was putting in three Skype hours per week, but I'm
definitely not improving. Come July, I'm going to increase Spanish Skype chats to twice weekly.

Four episodes of Democracy Now. For some reason, they didn't post a new episode on Monday. It's very
easy to carve out 10 or 15 minutes after work every day to listen and read. While I really like the organization of
this news show - full transcript with a good 10-13 minutes of audio - it's very US-centric. Well, obviously…it is,
after all, an American show. I'd like to find something similar that's a little less US-centric, maybe something
from Spain.

Two episodes of Los Simpsons. Again, it's pretty easy to watch a 20-minute episode, and I find that my
comprehension keeps improving.

67 pages of "La malediction del titan", the third Percy Jackson book. Honestly, these books are a bit
repetitive. But the level is perfect for me: easy. I read in Spanish at the end of the day before bed. The last thing I
need is something that will stretch my brain. I want to relax and wind down before bed. I love the fact that I can
read in Spanish for relaxation now. This time last year, I had to make sure to read in Spanish before supper,
otherwise I didn't have the energy to read more than a few pages at a time.

Super Challenge Update

I'm currently at 7 books and 3 movies. I definitely need to carve out more time for watching!

Edited by Stelle on 01 June 2014 at 8:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5164 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 259 of 384
01 June 2014 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Skype talks are interesting. They are good for confidence and regular chatting, but I found that at a certain point I did not feel like they helped me improve hardly at all. It's like there is a universe of words/phrases/grammar that you get really good at in those types of contexts, but after that it does not help much.

I don't think there are transcripts of Voz de America, but it has a nice daily radio news broadcast. There is a 30 minute version and a 5 minute version.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5051 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 260 of 384
02 June 2014 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Stelle, yeah DN is definitely US centric. That's part of the price to pay for having an exact transcript. The only other options I know about, with transcripts, are NHK World Spanish News, which is obviously Japan focused, and the euronews Spanish which has a transcript that isn't exact, but pretty close. The NHK broadcast has a transcript but it isn't "obvious". You must open the audio in another tab and click on the stories from left to right in order to read the transcript. I find the NHK news to be quite dry. I don't think you'd be happy with the "News in Slow Spanish" site.

I enjoy Diario de América from Radio Nacional de España- América being Latin America, but there is no transcript for you. I also watch the 4 minute TVE 2 bulletin from the RTVE app a few times during the week on my smartphone if I happen to be waiting for something.

While the euronews program is video, the video isn't absolutely paramount to understanding what's being said. It is international and European news. You must click on the individual stories in the "boletin" to read the transcript. As you scroll down, you'll loose the video. The transcript isn't exact, but close enough. If you have the Foxfire flash video downloader browser extension, you can download the video in mp4. The euronews is available in a bunch of languages- English, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Turkish, Arabic and Farsi.

Whatever you listen to, making it a daily habit is important to build listening skills. So many people start listening and then give it up because "it's too hard". The more you do the better you get. The transcript is a stepping stone, which, at some point you won't need any more. Over a few months of daily listening to an interesting newscast, you'll find your vocabulary increasing and your listening skills improving dramatically. Especially if you already have an idea of what the main stories will be about.

My favorite newscast in Portuguese is from RFI France's Brazilian service. The presenters and reporters are all Brazilian. The news is international and the style is conversational. It's definitely not dry.

Edited by iguanamon on 02 June 2014 at 2:55am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 261 of 384
02 June 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Four episodes of Democracy Now. For some reason, they didn't post a
new episode on Monday.{...} it's very US-centric. Well, obviously…it is,
after all, an American show.

Those two points are probably related since last Monday was Memorial Day (a national
holiday honoring veterans) in the US.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 262 of 384
03 June 2014 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
@James29, I'll check that out. Thanks!

@iguanamon, thanks for the suggestions! I'm not sure if I'm using DN more as a listening exercise, or as a reading
exercise. Right now, I'm logging it as reading for the Super Challenge.

@Warp3, that makes sense! Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 263 of 384
05 June 2014 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
I was flipping through my Camino de Santiago journal, and came across the lyrics to a blues song that I made up
while walking. And what luck - my Dad found a guitar at the municipal albergue in Ponferrada!

los blues del camino

Me duele la rodilla
Me duelen los pies
Me duele el tobillo
Mis ampollas son tres
En la cama baja
Hay un roncador
Pero él que madruga
A las cinco es peor

Tengo los blues del camino
Me duele la cabeza
He bebido demasiado vino y cerveza

Mis calcetines
Huelen fatal
Pero soy peregrino
Eso es normal
Perdí mi toalla
Hace cuatro días
Encontré en mi ropa
Bragas que no son mías

Tengo los blues del camino
Me duele la cabeza
He bebido demasiado vino y cerveza
5 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4411 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 264 of 384
06 June 2014 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
¡Genial! :)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version