tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 129 of 384
17 December 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I was thinking that to supplement your podcasts, listening/watching Spanish television
not constructed for learning, such as news at real speaking speed, would help to ease
thre transition from trying to listen to decipher native speech, to listen without
effort
authentic Spanish programmes (as if one were your native language). Like this:

RTVE Informativo de
Madrid

I switched from audio learning materials in 2010 into only watching RTVE programmes and
news, and the gap between worrying about what some aspects of the speech mean and
listening to a programme as if it were English or French should be filled. But I
suppose it depends on how advanced you are, and if learning expressions and syntax by
context is appealing. But I think that you would be ready.

For example, there is a circa six-minute clip for each day here. I am watching the
episode for 16/12/13 Monday (Informativo 2), for example, here is what I hear for the
first minute
(around 00:17 to 1:01):

El comercio madrileño ya tiene su propia guía de Navidad. Informato digital y
bilingüe, ofrece información sobre los establecimientos, mercadillos, ferias, y
campañas. Esta época es fundamental para su negocio. Concentran hasta el 400% de las
ventas anuales. En la comunidad hay cerca de 70.000 comercios minoristas que aportan
casi el 7,5% del PIB regional. En Navidades, prevén contratar a 20.000 personas.

Buenas tardes, el Senado apobará la ley de Reforma de la Administración Local. El
Gobierno Central afirma que esta norma pretende lograr la sostenibilidad y
modernización de los ayuntamientos. También busca una mayor transparencia y eliminar
las competencias duplicadas.

If you can pick this up clearly, I think that Spanish television could help
tremendously.

Thanks for the suggestion! I checked out your link, and while there were a few words that I struggled to catch, I
understood most of it quite clearly. I like the idea of adding some Spanish news to my day! I do watch Spanish
television, but mainly series. I watch some dubbed TV (Buffy, a few episodes of the Simpsons) as well as some
original shows on Drama Fever. RIght now I'm watching Isabel (a Spanish historical drama), which is a great show.

Podcasts are mainly for the commute.
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 130 of 384
17 December 2013 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Stelle wrote:
Nope, I have all of the seasons on DVD. My DVDs include Spanish dubbing
from season 3 on up.

I have some of that series on DVD as well (I started watching Buffy while it was still airing
(around season 2 I believe) and watched both it and Angel (the spin-off) religiously until they
ended, but never got around to buying all the DVD sets for them). So the Spanish dubbing
only starts on season 3? That's a bit disappointing.

I purchased my DVDs in Canada. The first two seasons have French and English, and the rest have Spanish. If you
bought the DVDs in the States, then maybe Spanish dubbing will start at season one?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 131 of 384
17 December 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I purchased my DVDs in Canada. The first two seasons have French
and English, and the rest have Spanish. If you
bought the DVDs in the States, then maybe Spanish dubbing will start at season one?

That's true. DVDs here seem to vary between English+French, English+Spanish, and
English+French+Spanish depending on where they plan to sell the disc. If I remember,
I'll check when I get home and see what languages are available on my copies of Buffy and
Angel (for the seasons I have anyway).

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4079 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 132 of 384
18 December 2013 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Good to watch series as well--RTVE has quite a number. Have you heard of "Españoles por
El Mundo"? There are episodes all over YouTube, as well as on RTVE's website. Sample:

http://youtu.be/4AIRkGwQtMY

They speak much faster than in the news, so it helps to accustom oneself to fast speech.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 133 of 384
21 December 2013 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
Good to watch series as well--RTVE has quite a number. Have you heard of "Españoles por
El Mundo"? There are episodes all over YouTube, as well as on RTVE's website. Sample:

http://youtu.be/4AIRkGwQtMY

They speak much faster than in the news, so it helps to accustom oneself to fast speech.

Muchas gracias! Thanks for adding to my toolbox!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 134 of 384
21 December 2013 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
I've just signed up for a free Spanish-language course on coursera.org. From the description, it seems pretty
general and accessible:

https://www.coursera.org/course/ciencia

It starts in the beginning of February. I think that it will be a challenge, and a great way to push myself beyond
my basic "all about me and my life" conversation skills. Because the course is video-based, I can listen to each
lecture more than once if I have a hard time understanding. And I figure that - depending on the length of the
lectures - the videos will count towards my goal of 100 TV shows and the forum posts required by the course will
count towards my goal of 100 written texts.

It will also help focus my nervous energy in February and March - since I'm leaving for the Camino de Santiago on
March 15th and I can barely wait!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 135 of 384
24 December 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
I finished lesson 30 of FSI yesterday while walking the dog. With the weather being so awful, I've been
working my way through the FSI lessons much more slowly. As I mentioned in another post, I don't think that
I would even consider doing FSI if it weren't something that I could do while walking. I enjoy it, and I definitely
see the value in building automaticity, but I can't really see myself sitting at my desk and responding to FSI
drills.

I do have to qualify my statement of "I enjoy it", though. I strongly disliked lesson 30. It was full of low-level
recall questions that made me grit my teeth. I would listen to a short dialogue, understand every word, and
then get stumped on questions because I couldn't remember tiny details. And then the big review questions
started:

FSI: How much did Smith give to the taxi driver as a tip in lesson one?
Me: Who cares?!?

I'm hoping that lesson 30 was a bit of an anomaly, and that future lessons won't focus on low-level recall. I
like FSI's drills and find them very useful for internalizing grammar, so I'm hoping that lesson 31 will go back
to that format.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5164 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 136 of 384
24 December 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 30 was a review. They do it again in lesson 55 (and maybe in 45). It is kind of silly in my opinion because by lesson 55 I forgot that the bellboy brought up a mineral water to the guy in the first lesson... stuff like that.

One comment... I don't know if you have Platiquemos also, but the FSI drills from 31-45 are missing some audio on some of the drills like the translation drills. They just say the Spanish to be repeated. It is not a problem, but you may want to do Platiquemos.    

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version