Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 297 of 384
14 July 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Thanks for that incredible summary, Stelle.

Kujichagulia, maybe you should consider using islands in your language teaching. I'm a teacher in England, but not languages. In "year 11" (the same as "10th grade"), students in the UK have to take external exams in most of their subjects, called GCSEs. A few years ago students came into my computer room to print paragraphs they had written in Spanish about themselves, which they were going to memorize to use in the spoken part of the GCSE exam. They memorized paragraphs about their family, activities they like, where they went on holiday, and so on. It seemed to me like they were sort of cheating, but they said that it was only to give them bits of speech to fall back on. Later I read about Shekhtman's islands, and I realized that was exactly what they were doing. Possibly their teacher (or their teacher's teacher) was familiar with Shekhtman.
4 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 298 of 384
15 July 2014 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Kujichagulia, maybe you should consider using islands in your language teaching. [...] A few years ago students came into my computer room to print paragraphs they had written in Spanish about themselves[...]

The school where I teach is, academically-speaking (or rather, entrance examination-speaking), a low-level school, and the English department here discourages original English composition in class. It's not banned, but it is seen as "problematic" here. Our kids, believe it or not, have a hard time using dictionaries and writing compositions in their own, native language, so the teachers don't think they can use an English dictionary to write something like an island on their own.

That said, I have one or two students every year who develop a healthy interest in English. They come to the office during lunch and after school, and I'm glad to encourage them to develop English islands. But I don't think I can incorporate that into my class lessons.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 299 of 384
16 July 2014 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:

The school where I teach is, academically-speaking (or rather, entrance examination-speaking), a low-level
school, and the English department here discourages original English composition in class. It's not banned, but it
is seen as "problematic" here. Our kids, believe it or not, have a hard time using dictionaries and writing
compositions in their own, native language, so the teachers don't think they can use an English dictionary to
write something like an island on their own.

That said, I have one or two students every year who develop a healthy interest in English. They come to the
office during lunch and after school, and I'm glad to encourage them to develop English islands. But I don't think
I can incorporate that into my class lessons.

It bothers the teacher in me when "low-level schools" have lower expectations for their students. It turns into a
vicious cycle that keeps kids performing at a lower level into adulthood. How can they compete with their peers
in higher performing schools if the expectations for them are so much lower?

But you're a part of a team, and it's really hard to buck conventions.

I do think that - if you want to try islands - you could find ways to do it without exactly going against your
school's approach/philosophy. At least to start, you could work on islands together as a class. The first basic
islands are almost fill-in-the blank sentences that could be the same for everyone:

My name is _______. I go to school at _________. I live with __________ in _____________. (Or whatever you think
would be useful to your students.) Short bursts of fluency might increase your students' confidence and, by
extension, their motivation to learn more English. If you like it (and your students find it useful), then you'd have
something positive to show to anyone who might question your methods.

It's not easy changing things in a school! You're in an interesting situation!

Edited by Stelle on 16 July 2014 at 5:48pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 300 of 384
16 July 2014 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Not about Spanish, but… I've started learning islands in Tagalog. Since it has to do with some of the discussion on
this log over the past few pages, I thought I'd link to it here:

islands in Tagalog (scroll to message 63)

And now for something in Spanish:

I really enjoyed this Fallo de Sistema podcast, about the Turing test and artificial intelligence. Lots of interesting
interviews/discussions with scientists and philosophers:

Desmontando a Kurzweil

Edited by Stelle on 16 July 2014 at 5:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 301 of 384
16 July 2014 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking the same thing about using islands to help less confident students. You could have a list of words to go with each blank, and the student creates their own paragraph by making selections. Then they have to learn to speak it to each other and to the class. At first they could use a written version of the paragraph, but maybe they could gain something (an award, a higher grade) by reciting their paragraph from memory.

I'm no stranger to low-performing students. The school I saw islands being used in was in the 7th most deprived area of England (according to government measures).

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 302 of 384
17 July 2014 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
I've put up a new post on my blog linking to my favourite Spanish podcasts (many of which I've mentioned in this
log):

Spanish podcasts
7 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 303 of 384
30 July 2014 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
It's kind of funny...now that I'm using exclusively native materials, I just don't have as much to say on my log!
Yesterday, I was actually a bit disappointed at the end of the day because I "hadn't done any Spanish". Except that
I'd listened to Buenos Dias America (30 minutes), run through my anki cards (4 minutes), read a novel for 20
minutes and clicked on several links on my Spanish twitter feed.

That's more than an hour of Spanish. And it felt like nothing.

I think it's a huge step for my learning...but I'm not sure what it means for this log! It seems a bit strange to post
weekly updates that all pretty much say the same thing: I read, I watched an episode of a TV show (I've
reeeeaaaallly slowed down with TV - need to add a bit more), I listened to podcasts, I talked to someone on
Skype. Riveting stuff! Haha!

I started watching El Tiempo Entre Costuras on Drama Fever last week (a show that Kerrie also mentioned on her
log). It's very good if you like period dramas! It's set during the Spanish Civil War, and the costumes are
beautiful.

I've gotten several emails from blog readers over the past few months asking how I learned Spanish. I guess they
found the resources that I posted useful, but they were feeling a bit overwhelmed. So I wrote a ridiculously
detailed post explaining what I used and how I used it:

Spanish from scratch using free resources

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3794 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 304 of 384
30 July 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I know exactly how you feel, I feel guilty when my brain is too tired to do any more
Chinese, and I just slack off and read something in Spanish or listen to another podcast.
I remember when podcasts were a reward for all my hard FSI work, now it's all reward, all
the time. Congratulations, you've earned it.

I might have to check out El Tiempo Entre Consturas now.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version