Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3937 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 345 of 384
07 September 2014 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the discussion, and for the well wishes for my dog!

Percy Jackson *definitely* became a chore for me. I never got really hooked on the series, although I did enjoy
the first book quite a lot. The truth is that I only finished the whole series because I spent money that I didn't
really have on buying the books. I did feel a sense of accomplishment finishing the series, but it was tinged with a
strong sense of relief. Had I had access to the books from the library (rather than buying them myself), I probably
would have stopped after book 3.

When I get addicted to a really good TV show (or a really good series of books), finishing it is a bit bittersweet:
bitter because I want more, sweet because I'm a bit maladaptive with addictive media and I'll *finally* have time
to do other things. Ha!

In the beginning, Spanish was addictive in and of itself. Now, I'm at the stage where I can get addicted to the
media, and the fact that it's in Spanish is kind of peripheral. It's a gratifying feeling! I've gotten seriously addicted
to a few DramaFever shows, and am now semi-addicted (as in - I really enjoy it, but I don't usually want to sit and
watch episode after episode) to Aqui No Hay Quien Viva. Hunger Games is definitely addictive, although I won't
be buying the other two books in the series for a good while.

@Lorren, I've signed up for the Egyptology course in Spanish. But I've also signed up for a French course on
African cities at the same time. I'll probably have to pick one or the other. I love coursera! It's not the same as
physically going to school, because the face-to-face interaction with other students is a bit part of the magic of
higher education, but it's nice to do something that feels academic again.

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3937 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 346 of 384
14 September 2014 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
I finished The Hunger Games. It was quite addictive - definitely a better book for me than the Percy Jackson
books were!

From now on, I will read books that are easy AND interesting.

Two questions to ask myself:

a) Is it boring because it's hard? Put it away for now.
b) Is it boring because it's boring? Put it away forever.

(for more ramblings on my Captain Obvious revelations on reading, see here)

I had a good conversation with my italki tutor today. It will be my last for the next few weeks, since my mom is
coming for a visit. I'm looking forward to having her here! She's been working on Spanish over the past few
months, mainly using Duolingo. She's not interested in "serious study", but she's visiting friends in Mexico next
year and would like to be able to speak a bit of Spanish.

I've been keeping up with watching at least two TV shows per week. I've been alternating between Aquí No Hay
Quien Viva (on YouTube) and El Tiempo Entre Costuras (on Drama Fever). I'm really loving both shows!

I've also been listening to podcasts or audio lectures every day, although I'm not walking anywhere near as much
as I was when the dog was well. (He's still unwell, by the way. We got a brace for him, so he looks like a bionic
dog, and it helps, but he's still in a lot of pain. His kidney problems make surgery and post-surgery care very
difficult. Poor guy.)

Aside from Buenos Días América, here are a few things that I've listened to this week:

Camino de Occitania (on Nómadas)
I particularly liked this one because the songs and interviews (at least the bits before the Spanish voiceover) were
all in French. And they talked about the Camino de Santiago. Well, le chemin de St-Jacques, since it's the part in
France rather than in Spain.

Un Mundo Ideal (on Radio Ambulante)
The story of a man deported to Mexico, and fighting to regain custody of his three American-born sons. It's a
heartbreaking story, no matter what angle you look from. Very interesting.

Inovación educativa con recursos abiertos
This coursera course is ok. I've been listening to all of the lectures as audio. I haven't been doing any of the
exercises or assignments. While I like the *idea* of coursera courses, I have yet to be truly sucked in to any of
them. I find that I get more out of the high-quality weekly podcasts on RTVE.
3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5168 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 347 of 384
14 September 2014 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
A young adult series that fits your "easy and interesting" test for me is John Grisham's Theodore Boone series. I found it noticeably easier and more interesting than any of the other young adult books I read. You might want to give it a try. If you like Grisham-type books (suspense/thriller) you will like it. It is basically a Grisham series where the "lawyer" is a thirteen year old boy who has two lawyer-parents. The themes are "adult" and interesting, but simply written for a young adult audience. There are four books in the series and all of them have been translated into Spanish (I've only read the first two so far). I think I will read the third one soon... after I try out Hunger Games.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 348 of 384
14 September 2014 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Awww great captain obvious post!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3937 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 349 of 384
21 September 2014 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
It's been a difficult week. My dog has been shaking lately. We assumed it was due to the leg pain, but the shaking
became extreme and he stopped eating on Friday, so we brought him in to the vet (for the fourth time in two
weeks). After hours of x-rays and ultrasound, we were shocked to learn that he has a football-sized tumour
hanging off one of his kidneys. We almost lost him that night, and were ready to say good-bye the next day at
the vet's. But in the morning, he started eating and interacting with us again, so we're not really sure where we
stand right now. He's tired, but he isn't shaking and he doesn't seem to be in pain.

All that to say that I haven't really focused much on language learning this week.

Still, I have listened to a few podcasts, mostly Radio Ambulante, Futuro Abierto and Nómadas. While I still like
Buenos Días América, I was finding it a bit repetitive, so I took a break. I'll probably pick it up again soon, since
it's the only news that I'm getting these days. How will I know what's going on with ebola, illegal immigration and
ISIS if I don't listen to BDA? ;)

I've also been reading. I finished The Hunger Games (my reading goal for the month of September), and
immediately started on En Llamas (the second book in the trilogy - thanks Kerrie!!!). I'm not very far into the
second book - maybe about 60 pages - but I'm definitely hooked. This series was *exactly* what I needed to read
in Spanish. I'm going to finish all three books, and then I'm going to read Como Agua Para Chocolate. (Yes, I
know, I've been claiming that as my "next book" for a very long time. This time I mean it! Maybe.)

My Mom is 5 days into an 11 day visit, so all Skype tutoring is on hold for now. She's also learning Spanish, which
is neat! She isn't interested in diving in the way that a lot of HTLAL-ers do, but she's spending about 20-30
minutes working on it every single day. She has an anki deck that she runs through daily, and she also does a few
lessons on Duolingo. Her goal is to have some very basic communication skills in Spanish when she visits some
friends in Mexico next February.

I don't see her ever doing something like a Skype language exchange, but I'm encouraging her to speak Spanish
with me when she feels a bit more confident. She's also agreed to try out Language Transfer while she's here, at
the pace of one lesson per day (and then continue it at home if she likes it). I was very intrigued by the course,
but it came out much too late for me, so I like doing it vicariously through her. She's only done up to track 3, but
we're both very impressed with the course so far!

Language Transfer Complete Spanish

I listened to all of the video lectures for the first two weeks of my coursera course, but then realized that the
RTVE podcasts were both more interesting and more challenging. At first, I planned on continuing with coursera,
since it was my goal for the month of September. But in the end, I decided that I'd grow more by listening to
something more engaging. This is the second coursera course that I've started and abandoned, although I did
make it halfway through this one. I'll probably try one more before deciding that they simply aren't for me.

No TV shows at all this week! I watched five episodes early in the month (three episodes of Aqui No Hay Quien
Viva and two episodes of El Tiempo Entre Costuras). Since my September goal was at least 8 TV shows, I still have
plenty of time.

edited to add accents

Edited by Stelle on 21 September 2014 at 2:47pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 350 of 384
21 September 2014 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Oh, sorry to hear about your dog!

As for online learning, try MiriadaX, maybe? Most of their content is in Spanish (and some in Portuguese), so you'll have much more options.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5168 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 351 of 384
21 September 2014 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
My thoughts are with you about your dog. That's a tough thing to go through.

You might like some of the other 30 minute VOA news podcasts. I originally listened to "Desde Washington" but found I preferred "Buenos Dias America" as it was more USA based news and I simply liked the hosts better. There are a couple other 30 minute daily news podcasts too.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5168 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 352 of 384
21 September 2014 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I have a dumb question. I just checked out that link that Serpent posted. I have also checked out the coursera site. How do these "courses" work? I mean... what do you do? Do you just listen to a lecture once a week? Is there interaction with other students and the teacher? Is there "homework"? I cannot find actual descriptions of what someone actually does for these courses.

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version