Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 225 of 384
03 March 2014 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I didn't read any novel chapters or write anything at all in Spanish this week. I've just been so busy with so many
other things - a sick dog (kidney issues. Bah. We've been struggling with this for almost a year, and it's a
constant balancing act with ups and downs), all of the paperwork involved in applying for funds from my school's
bankruptcy, working extra hours to try to make up for the lost money, getting my stuff organized for my trip…
oh, and have I mentioned that we're putting our house on the market this week?

I miss my nightly reading, but I know that I can't finish a book in 2 weeks, and I hate the thought of putting it
down for 7 weeks and then picking it up again. I'm thinking of rereading Despereaux, the second Spanish book
that I ever read. I'll probably be able to finish it in 2 weeks. It's easy, but I love it so much in any language - I read
it yearly in French, just because I think that it's beautiful. Why not do the same thing in Spanish? Besides, I think
that I'll get so much more out of it than I did the first time.

There, I've just convinced myself. I'm going to log off now, make a cup of tea, and read a few chapters.

2014 Spanish challenge, week nine:

100 45-minute TV shows: 2 (33/100)
100ish minutes of Notes in Spanish - counts as 1 for tracking purposes
1 episode of Buffy la Cazavampiros (3.19)

100 Skype conversations: 4 (24/100)
total of 3 hours and 45 minutes with 3 different italki tutors

100 short texts: 0 (10/100)
I think that I'm going to try to write a short reflection in Spanish every day while I'm in Spain. Maybe. We'll see
how I feel. I may also just end up doing a mad rush with daily short texts in the summer, after my current
contract ends.

14 novels: 0 (2/14)
I'll be starting Despereaux in about as long as it takes for my water to boil. I don't know yet if I'm going to count
it towards the 14 book challenge. I think that I'll decide a bit later, when I see how much I get out of rereading it
(after having already read it once extensively, and about half of it extensively).

Edited by Stelle on 03 March 2014 at 1:53am

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 226 of 384
03 March 2014 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
@dbag, I'm currently using the sheer brute force approach. Ha! I'm halfway through my second run-through of unit
47, and it's easier the second time around. I may or may not go through it a third time. I'm going to keep going
through the units casually over the next two weeks, and then - if I feel the need - start over at 46 when I get back. I
don't expect that I'll get much farther than 50 before leaving.

@BAnna and @Crush - Catalan is such an interesting language! One of my language partners is Catalan, and she's
taught me a few phrases. I love how some words sound almost French, while others sound almost Spanish.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4811 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 227 of 384
03 March 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Stelle, found this book which I though you might like- the search for a serial killer on the camino de santiago!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 228 of 384
04 March 2014 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
Stelle, found this ebook/dp/B006TNBHAY/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_3">book which I though you might like- the search for a serial killer
on the camino de santiago!

Oooooh…muy interesante! Muchas gracias!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 229 of 384
09 March 2014 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Oops. I accidentally edited this post out.

Edited by Stelle on 14 March 2014 at 6:58pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5051 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 230 of 384
09 March 2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Stelle, I first saw "Como agua para chocolate" as a very young man in Madrid 22 years ago. I read the book after having seen the film and loved it as well. It will be a good book to take along with you. You may want to consider getting a dedicated e-reader some day. My e-ink kindle's weight is the equivalent of a small hard cover book but I have a few hundred books in Spanish, Portuguese, Ladino and Haitian Creole on it- I am never without anything to read.

¡Buen viaje, Stelle! Sé que va a ser una experiencia única para ti. Estoy en ascuas para saber cómo será.

Edited by iguanamon on 09 March 2014 at 6:47pm

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4217 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 231 of 384
10 March 2014 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
What a coincidence! I just ordered Como Agua Para Chocolate from my library a week ago. Hopefully it will arrive
soon. Have a great trip! I'm sure you'll have some incredible stories when you come back.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 232 of 384
10 March 2014 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
@iguanamon - muchas gracias! Thanks for the book plug - it really does look like an interesting story. I haven't
seen the movie yet. I keep putting the book into my backpack and then taking it out again. Ha! I actually do have an
ereader, which I bring on regular trips. I just don't want to carry too many electronics (and their chargers) with me
on this trip. So I'll either bring Como agua para chocolate in paper form, or else I'll bring nothing at all. Either way,
I'll probably regret my decision. ;)

@emily96 - we'll have to share our impressions of the book after we've both read it!

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version