Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 57 of 64
11 August 2013 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
mezzofanti wrote:
Please get a life.

Now you're talking about "homophobia"! You've strayed so far from the topic and
politicized this thread needlessly.

For those of us with lives beyond this forum and the internet there is nothing at all
wrong with talking about chatting up women (or men in their case). That comment was made in relation to the other person making a silly remark about social learners being "crap" at languages which is rubbish.

In the context of language learning, dating is a great way to get out and practise.

Mezzofanti, your comment offended me as well. Bragging about hanging out with people of the opposite sex based on how attractive they are is inappropriate and, yes, sexist. This is an international forum with people from various cultures and genders. The people you normally speak with may not have had any problem with your statements, but in such a mixed environment (and while trying to promote a website), perhaps the more polite course of action would be to learn what other people find offensive in order to be able to communicate more smoothly in the future.

My sincerest apologies to everyone for continuing this derailment. I deemed it worth pointing out that comments like these make me feel uncomfortable, which is something I don't think most people on the forum want.

mezzofanti wrote:
Better hit those books, mate. Lots of vocab and conjugation lists to memorize! While you're doing that, I'll be out meeting gorgeous Korean girls tonight while practising my Korean.

Edited by nonneb on 11 August 2013 at 4:29am

6 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5071 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 58 of 64
11 August 2013 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Even talking about Anki, Assimil or "which language should I learn" would be better than this.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 59 of 64
11 August 2013 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
mezzofanti wrote:
For those of us with lives beyond this forum and the internet there is nothing at all wrong with talking about chatting up women (or men in their case).

In the context of language learning, dating is a great way to get out and practise.
Agreed*. Just don't brag about it.

*Apart from the fact that I don't have a life, obviously. Funny to hear from someone bragging about women on the Internet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 60 of 64
13 August 2013 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Dating is supposed to be enjoyed by both
parties. Else you are doing it wrong.

Nothing wrong with saying you are going to
paint the town red. The girls are there for
the very same reason.

Dating isn't pua and cheesy pickups.

And if a gay friend of mine picked someone up
I would think that was awesome. Not all gays
are naked at strange bars.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3953 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 61 of 64
13 August 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
This has turned into a very strange thread.

Is it ok if I talk about learning and moving again? ;)

I took someone's suggestion of simply standing while working - thanks to the person who
posted that! I currently spend 12 hours per week on Skype (between tutors, conversation
partners and students). I put a box on my desk, and my computer on the box - and now I
stand for every Skype conversation. It's helped me to eliminate 12 hours of sitting from
my week, and I'm feeling much better physically!

I tried the treadmill desk...and HATED it. It gave me motion sickness. Ha! I much prefer
to walk outside while listening to podcasts, anyway.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 62 of 64
13 August 2013 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Has the long standing influenced learning or concentration in any way? I considered this but I am a bit afraid I might find it harder to focus. Is there any reason for such worry?
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5071 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 63 of 64
13 August 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Has the long standing influenced learning or concentration in any way? I considered this but I am a bit afraid I might find it harder to focus. Is there any reason for such worry?

Check out this post by Leo Babauta of zenhabits.com My Standing Desk Experiment

Leo Babauta wrote:
I’m more likely to be working while in front of my laptop as opposed to the occasional stretches of sitting like a zombie I used to fall prey to. It’s harder to nod off or lose focus when standing. ... This is the most exciting and useful benefit so far: I have more energy during the work day. I haven’t experienced the same mid-afternoon lulls that I used to while sitting. I’m also more energized during phone calls, Skype sessions and while recording video and audio. This is a huge benefit and adds to the energy gains I found after quitting my coffee habit last year. ...

Frequent breaks and limiting sitting to 45 minutes at a stretch are what I've been doing. Now, I think I might try the standing option as well.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3953 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 64 of 64
13 August 2013 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Has the long standing influenced learning or concentration in any way? I
considered this but I am a bit afraid I might find it harder to focus. Is there any
reason for such worry?

Yes, it's influenced learning and concentration - by helping me feel more alert! I feel
that I'm getting a lot of benefits from standing during skype conversations, and there
are no drawbacks that I can see.

You mention "long standing", but I'm not standing for a 12-hour stretch at a time. My
skype sessions are scattered throughout the week and throughout the day. I think that if
I had several back-to-back sessions I might alternate sitting and standing.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version