Bilingual Hexaglot
Belgium
Joined 4548 days ago

30 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Catalan, Italian, French, German
Studies: Dutch

Message 9 of 102
26 November 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
My main goal in 2014 is to bring my French to a solid B2 level, start reading French
novels and enjoying shows and radio.
I hope as well to bring my Dutch to a level in which I'm comfortable speaking about
everyday subjects as well as read and listen to the radio.
Improve my vocabulary in German, reading more novels and speaking it more.
Keep up the good work with Italian, using it this Summer all I can and expanding
vocabulary.
Finally, try out my new British accent.

1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5576 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 10 of 102
26 November 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Whatever it takes me to get all of my current intermediate languages to a level at which I won't have to force myself to use them because I simply feel too tired and inadequate to do it naturally.

Edited by Bao on 26 November 2013 at 11:56pm

betelgeuzah
Diglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4211 days ago

51 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Japanese, Italian

Message 11 of 102
27 November 2013 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Japanese

Bring my Japanese to a level where I can play Final Fantasy XIV in Japanese (= comprehend the text/story, socialize with a Japanese group of players and talk about all kinds of things). The in-game vocabulary contains a huge amount of less used words also in English so being able to keep this up will boost my written and reading skills to a whole new level. I am expecting this process to be completed within three years, if the game is still online at that point (C1-C2 level reading comprehension and writing ability). The game will always provide me with more and more material so that makes me quite enthusiastic about this project. Listening and speaking remain a question mark for now.

Italian

Pick up from where I left off in vocab studies (1100~ words learned), make Italian friends and talk with them in Italian (language cafés in my town are a good start), finish studying a grammar book. Maybe find some Italian forums/websites to read consistently. Try to make the learning process organic instead of systematic for the time being. Goal is B1+ by the end of the year.

Swedish

Pass a B1+ written exam in Swedish (because the government demands me to), study some vocab to give me a good start to hopefully be able to start studying the language organically. The language is fun to play with not to mention easy to pick up but I am having hard time finding motivation for immersing myself in native material right now. I doubt I can get to a level I'd be satisfied with just by systematic studying alone sadly.

German

Studied it for 8 years but have no skills to show for it. I could pick it up easily if I had the time, so I'll make it a goal to start studying German in 2014.

English

How I wish I could put in the effort to learn to speak better. My speaking does not flow and is hard to follow. I jumble with my words and my pronunciation is probably quite off. I don't know how to tackle this problem. I am completely satisfied with everything else. Of course I should study more vocabulary as it comes up in FFXIV and scientific journals, and fortunately I have my electronic dictionary to assist my studies. The question is, though, is it enough to be exposed to a new word and look up the definition from the dictionary if the word in question is so seldom used that I may forget about it before the next time it comes up? I have no desire to make a flashcard deck so it is what it is.

Edited by betelgeuzah on 27 November 2013 at 12:05am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 102
27 November 2013 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Since I don't know my future yet, this is anyone's guess... but given that the Romania
plans are going ahead, then I will certainly spend some time immersed in that language
(and subsequently improve it). But my goals are wide and varied (and depend on the
language):

French:

Develop full professional competency in this language

German, Swedish, Russian

Maintain these at their current level. Perhaps sit a B2 exam for Swedish so that Sweden
can be an option in the future. For German I don't intend to do anything in particular
(maybe read one or two books???). For Swedish I will maintain it, and maybe find some
Skype partner to chat with.

Russian I don't need to worry about, that one seems to be easy to practice. Only today
I spoke to three new Russian people online.

Romanian

Improve my Romanian to B2 level overall so that I can fully function socially in this
language.

Hebrew

Here my goals are to solidify my previous knowledge. In 2014 I will stop the back-and-
forth and make this a priority again in my free time. By the end of 2014 I hope to be a
B2 (now somewhere between A2 and B1 - better at speaking than writing). I want to be
able to add it to speaks status. This should be by July 1st of 2014, because the first
half I will dedicate to Hebrew study next to Korean (finishing Assimil mostly).

Korean

Able to add it to speaks status. I am starting to dig into the grammar quite well. I
need some vocabulary, especially for reading. Constructing sentences orally simply is
not a problem, but still struggle with longer constructions, some pronunciation
details, and typing speed. I'm also thinking about learning to recognise some Hanja - I
already know like 5 but I would enjoy some more, especially because of other languages
further down.

Icelandic

Second half of 2014 I will turn back to Icelandic and get to the bottom of the grammar
and the structure of this language. A2-B1 will suffice.

Breton

Maintain at A2-B1 level.

Other languages and challenges

I have my hands full with my current set of languages, but I still feel drawn to add
one or two to the mix. Spanish, Mandarin Chinese are the most obvious candidates right
now, but I still don't want to tackle Chinese. Spanish may get a look in in 2014
though. Portuguese is also an option (EUROPEAN PORTUGUESE). Of course, having said
this, I have cursed myself, and I will end up speaking Farsi, Czech, or Lingala
instead.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 102
27 November 2013 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
I'm not as ambitious as some of you!

I'd like to work on...

Spanish: I'm at a solid intermediate stage now. I'd like to bring my skills up
to an upper intermediate/advanced level. I plan on finishing FSI Basic during the first
quarter of 2014. I want to read the whole Harry Potter series in 2014, as well as The
Hunger Games trilogy. I'd also like to listen to Spanish talk radio and watch Spanish
movies without subtitles. I want to keep up my conversational Spanish through Skype
exchanges at least four times a week before my trip to Spain (at least twice a week
after coming home). And after spending six weeks in Spain in March/April, I definitely
want to add Spanish to the languages that I speak.

Tagalog: When I get back from Spain in early May, I plan on jumping right into
Tagalog with the six-week challenge! I already have one husband-approved learning
resource - Tara, maga-tagalog tayo (my Tagalog-speaking husband is very critical of
resources like Pimsleur, which he feels teach a very stilted and unnatural Tagalog).
I'm also thinking about picking up a second resource, either Teach Yourself or a
subscription to filipinopod101. With those resources, tutors on italki, and
conversation practice with my husband and his family, I'm hoping to be able to add
Tagalog to the languages that I speak by the end of 2014. I'm not interested in reading
or writing in Tagalog - my goal is purely conversational

read more in general: at least 15 English novels and 5 French novels, as well as
some non-fiction books and magazines.

Edited by Stelle on 27 November 2013 at 1:14am

MarlonX19
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 3975 days ago

40 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: French

Message 14 of 102
27 November 2013 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
My goals for 2014 are: to make an effort to learn French and be able to speak it well till the end of the next year, learn Esperanto deeply, improve/practice English and read much more than I have so far. And maybe learn some Hebrew which I'm in love currently.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4657 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 15 of 102
27 November 2013 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
My goals?

Become solidly B2 in Japanese, and if possible solidly A2 in Portuguese.

Organize my time better.

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4999 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 16 of 102
27 November 2013 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Reactivate speaking skills and brush up my levels, with at least 4 weeks' mass-media-onslaught in each of French, Spanish and Italian.

Have a major 3-month crack at a weak language, possibly Russian or Swedish.

Maybe dabble in Dutch later (after C1 is reached in German).

Use Shekhtman's Islands technique across all my languages.

Probability I will find time for all of that? Slim.

This discussion contains 102 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version