Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4141 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 65 of 102
10 December 2013 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Russian: Read at least 25 books, ideally 50. Also watch 75 films in Russian. I'll also
aim to write 50 texts/essays in Russian. I'm debating taking a TRKI test, possibly C1
(really lofty goal) in December 2014.

Finnish: Get up to about A2 or early B1. To do that, I plan on doing Assimil, Suomen
Mestari, and FSI Finnish.

Start a new language, although I haven't decided which one yet. Spanish is a strong
possibility, but I am tempted by German as well. I may do Spanish to give my brain a
bit of a rest after tackling Russian, Finnish and some Icelandic.

Other goals:
-Have a conversation with some Finnish friends in Helsinki...in Finnish.
-Stick to my plans.
-Not lose my password. So I can update more often.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3817 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 66 of 102
12 December 2013 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
I'm gonna have a full plate in 2014

German
I'm not altogether sure where my German level is. I'm thinking I'm a strong A2 so my
goal is to be at B1 or higher if I can do it. My main emphasis is on speaking and
listen comprehension. I'm using Memrise for expanding my vocabulary and various
recordings for listening and speaking. Including an anime adaptation of Grimm's
Fairytales.

Finnish
I'm at A0 and my goal is a A1. I'm doing Finnish differently from how I did German. I'm
doing as little reading and writing as possible and focusing solely on listening and
speaking. The main reason why my German speaking and listening are so behind is the
fact that I spent most of my time reading and writing. I'm gonna do the opposite of
that with Finnish.

Spanish
Spanish is not a huge priority. I'm not a big fan of it but I'd like to get
conversationally fluent so I'm guessing going from A1 to B1 and I plan on stopping
there. Next to no reading or writing. I want purely audio input as that's the medium
I'll be using it at work.
2 persons have voted this message useful

StarcrazyAngel
Triglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5809 days ago

47 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 67 of 102
15 December 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Depending on my work circumstances I may be relocating to China for a year in 2014. If
that happens I will without a doubt start learning Mandarin.

With regards to my Spanish I want to take my B2 to a C1 and attempt the DELE C1 exam in
January. I want to try a wider variety of resources and attempt harder activities.

My Italian speaking and writing needs a lot of work. I've even found myself avoiding
conversations in Italian because I feel so embarrassed by my pronunciation, mistakes
and declining vocabulary. I need to find a way to make this language fun again so that
I don't lose it completely.

My goals are to spend at least 30 minutes a day on each language but focusing mainly on
speaking and writing.
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5935 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 68 of 102
15 December 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Finnish: I really have to break down and just do some drills. That's my goal for this year. I think I can take care of other just random reading and movie watching on my own. But the drills are something I've been avoiding, and just have to buckle down and do. Being unsure makes me hesitate and think too much.

Japanese: Well, JLPT2 again this year -- if I failed N2. If I passed N2, I'll try the N1. Just more reading -- get to the meetups on a regular basis.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 69 of 102
15 December 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
As of now it's the easiest for me to state my plans in terms of challenges.

Tadoku: January - Finnish, Spanish. The Super Challenge made me miss them, even if I never stopped learning/improving. Also one more language, possibly Portuguese.

(In general, I aim to read a few books in Spanish. I've read a large amount of Portuguese and Italian so it's time for a bit of Spanish)

Later on I'll also do Swedish and Dutch for Tadoku, much like I did when I started Polish in March 2012. A half-round for each would be the best, along with other languages like Croatian, German, Belarusian...

6WC: February probably Croatian, August seems good for Belarusian or Swedish, otherwise not sure.

I've also listed some specific things I want to read/do here in my log.

In terms of the forum's levels, I'm hoping to list Italian and Polish as basic fluency.
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4638 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 70 of 102
16 December 2013 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
What are your goals for 2014?

To survive until (at least...) 2015.
5 persons have voted this message useful

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4385 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 71 of 102
22 December 2013 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
A2 Spanish + German and B1 French.

I believe that it will take me roughly 150/160 hours to get to A2 in Spanish and maybe a bit longer in German.
However, maybe I will look at Russian because I will be doing a Russian course at school next year (possibly).
However, for French the B1 is a bit ambitious and I will realistically probably get to A2 in the language as apposed to
B1. Then again these are my aims and not my expectations, so I will probably fall a bit short.

French at the moment is my main priority and to be honest I am not too sure of my level now.
Spanish and German are languages I'm interested in (as well as others).. Due to have my exams in the summer I will
have 2.5 months off of school. This is because in England at the age of 16 we finish our first round of important
exams in mid June and are not allowed to return until early September. and So I will have lots of free time for
language learning!

Edited by EnglishEagle on 23 December 2013 at 9:14am

scr1ptor
United States
Joined 3843 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Spanish, Latin, Italian

Message 72 of 102
31 December 2013 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Hello, this is my first post on this forum! Next year, I'm going to focus on Spanish, Latin, and Italian, studying two of them each day.

My goals for 2014:

Spanish
I'd like to move from an intermediate to an advanced level. I mostly need to improve my listening and speaking skills, so I plan on watching movies, completing the Pimsleur language program, and speaking to my friends or native speakers in Spanish. I also want to read at least a dozen novels and start keeping a diary/journal in Spanish.

Latin
I don't know what level I'm at in Latin, but I want to finish my first year and second year textbooks, as well as the Lingua Latina series. After that I just want to read as much as possible. The Gallic War is at the top of my list, but I'd also like to read The Metamorphoses and the first book of the Aeneid.

Italian
I'm going to start Italian as soon as possible. It's the first living language I'll have seriously studied on my own, so I'm kind of nervous. I'd like to reach a B1 level by the end of the year, but I don't have a concrete plan yet. I'm going to try out a couple of language programs and hopefully I'll find one that I really like. (Pimsleur seems really good for pronunciation, but I'd rather not use an audio-only program.)

Hopefully my goals aren't too high. I guess I'll find out sooner or later!

This discussion contains 102 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version