102 messages over 13 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 12 13 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 57 of 102
05 December 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
I don't know :( I have no clue what I'll be doing in the second half of the year, although there's a (hopefully small) possibility that I'll have to continue being a university student >_<

I want to study Swedish properly, but IDK... this reminds me a lot on the year I graduated. I was learning Finnish and Esperanto (+English and Latin in my first year at uni), and I added Belarusian. I now see that this was the last straw. I could have continued learning only Finnish and some Esperanto, but with three languages I was bound to hate my new uni for not allowing me enough free time.

I obviously hope to find a job after uni, and I think this would not be the right time for starting a new language.

Although football will ensure I'll stay in touch with all my languages, so who knows...

Wow what a depressing post. I guess I'm just hungry :P I will write separately about the goals I do have :)
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4331 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 58 of 102
05 December 2013 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
The way is the goal, thus:
- visit Copenhagen
- increase time spent on Swedish

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4061 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 59 of 102
08 December 2013 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
I guess that it's that time of the year for goal-setting:

Spanish

For Spanish, I hope to get to the point where I can use the language quite easily. To get there, I plan on finishing Notes In Spanish Intermediate and advanced, finishing the 5000 Spanihs words deck in Anki, continuing reading my National Geographics En EspaƱol, and practice it with people that know Spanish.

Russian

I plan on continuing with Russian through Rosetta Stone Russian 3, and then I plan on using it (with the help of Google Translate) to translate Russian news stories and other items. If I find other Russian resources, I plan on using them. I would like to improve this language, to what degree I'll be at the end of the year, I don't know.

German

German is the next language that I hope to work on. I plan to go through Rosetta Stone German levels 1-5, but I may do a LOT of skipping on this one, especially in the early lessons. I took 6 years of this language between 5th and 10th grades, and much of it is burned into my memory. This language is just not at a workable level to me right now. I want to get there. This is my mid-year project.

French

I don't plan on going very far with French in 2014, but towards the end of the year, if all goes well, I want to start working on this language. All of the other languages that I've taken in my life have been chosen because it was available to learn, or it was practical to learn for one reason or another. I've always wanted to learn French just because I like the sound of it. So in late 2014, I'd like to get started. This language might get pushed back to 2015, but if all goes well, I may start learning it next year.

Edited by Lorren on 08 December 2013 at 9:57am

cwcowellshah
United States
Joined 4189 days ago

34 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: Swedish

Message 60 of 102
09 December 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
So many ambitious people on this board! I find languages hard, progress slow, and life busy, so I'm going with small goals.

It's hard to know where I am on the CEFR scale, so I prefer to use real-world activities as goals (though I'd guess these goals would take me past A2 and somewhere in the middle of B1).

Swedish
* Finish my self-study courses (Hugo, Beginner's, Hird's Grammar-Reader, Colloquial, Babbel.com)
* Finish the 3000 word memrise vocab list
* Finish the Babbel.com vocab list
* 90% comprehension (without a dictionary) of the articles on 8sidor.se (a news site in easy Swedish)
* 75% comprehension of Klartext (a radio news program in easy Swedish)
* Get through one adult Swedish book (probably crime)

Edited by cwcowellshah on 09 December 2013 at 8:45pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5459 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 61 of 102
10 December 2013 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
My goals are simply to continue. I'll be transitioning (hopefully) from a university with
ample amounts of free time to working a full-time job, so my first goal is to simply keep
language learning as part of my routine.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5871 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 62 of 102
10 December 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
After having learned several languages in a classroom environment, I've come to a few conclusions about level reaching. Since over the years I've had conversations with fellow classmates, I realised most felt the same way, and the ones who didn't felt lost.

You see, what generally happens is that A and C levels are easy. Yes, you read it right. It's the B's that are tricky.
The As are easy because you're starting, you're motivated, you only have to learn basic stuff (sometimes the script, sometimes not even that), and you can grasp the whole without too much effort.
When you reach the Bs, you really have to progress, since you're supposed to have mastered the basics during the As. But the requirements are usually quite vast and, if you're under the illusion that you grasp the basics, you'll never force yourself to cover all the ground the Bs require.
Once you get to the Cs: ay, there's the rub. Did you really do your job at mastering the Bs? If you did, you'll be ok. Then, the Cs are about fine-tuning and getting to know the really tricky but fun parts. But if you were lazy, prepare for a never-ending nightmare. Trying to find subtle differences when you don't know whether you're supposed to use accusative or dative (or some other intermediate stuff) can hinder your learning pleasure. A lot.

After this tedious but necessary introduction, here are my goals for 2014:

Italian
Finish C1 level. Possibly start C2. Reassemble intermediate materials. Check for loopholes.

German
Review all the grammar. Maybe over time, maybe in short but powerful bursts, I still don't know. Read stuff. In short, become the C2 student I'm supposed to be.

Arabic
Same thing, but at a lower level. It's tough to keep what I've learned, let alone venture into the unknown. I seem to have good materials for the task.

Sanskrit
Limit the wandering and follow my teacher's lead. He says in 8-10 months we can cover what he calls "a basic course". I'll call it an A2 level.
7 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4168 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 63 of 102
10 December 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Very good description Luso. I've been there. I am there...
3 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5871 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 64 of 102
10 December 2013 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Very good description Luso. I've been there. I am there...

Thanks. Every once in a while, I get to say something useful. :P

By the way, I liked your post about reading Attic Greek (from your goals for 2013). Can't beat a native's opinion.

Edited by Luso on 11 December 2013 at 3:04am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 102 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version