Joined 4179 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 41 of 102
30 November 2013 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:

Tagalog: When I get back from Spain in early May, I plan on jumping right into
Tagalog with the six-week challenge! I already have one husband-approved learning
resource - Tara, maga-tagalog tayo (my Tagalog-speaking husband is very critical of
resources like Pimsleur, which he feels teach a very stilted and unnatural Tagalog).
I'm also thinking about picking up a second resource, either Teach Yourself or a
subscription to filipinopod101. With those resources, tutors on italki, and
conversation practice with my husband and his family, I'm hoping to be able to add
Tagalog to the languages that I speak by the end of 2014. I'm not interested in reading
or writing in Tagalog - my goal is purely conversational

Oh no, now that I saw there's a resource named "Tara" (which is my real name), I might get pulled into learning Tagalog!

All joking aside, my goals are pretty modest. I hope to really improve my active skills in German, and to read three novels in Polish. I'm also hoping to get to an A2-ish level in both Ukrainian and Afrikaans. It will certainly be a Slavic/Germanic year!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4044 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 42 of 102
30 November 2013 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
English: pass university exams without any problems and do not drop any kind of studying it too soon. Plus, I want to develop my English skills in a way of my future specialty. Eventually I should do something with audio comprehension, it's one of worst problems of my English.

German: achieve somewhat decent level of understanding the language, i.e. 1) read something by Stefan Zweig; 2) make some translations of Angizia if people still wouldn't care to do it; 3) watch some familiar movie in German (e.g. Das Leben der Anderen) without subs in any language and to understand everything without much help of a memory.
Be able to handle simple conversations using Google Translate only as a dictionary.

Swedish: not to drop it, I guess...

I also have some pretty vague plans about Italian, but they're so vague that I shouldn't even try to convert it into goal.

wanderingbird
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3945 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Japanese, Portuguese, German

Message 43 of 102
30 November 2013 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
Spanish
I'm planning on spending five weeks in Argentina this summer on an exchange trip and in January I'll be taking Spanish classes again at my university. I already feel comfortable with Spanish but I'd like to increase my ability to the point where I can understand 99.9% of what I hear watching TV or movies in Spanish. I'd also like to be able to read novels without having to look up a word on every page.

French
French is going to be pretty slow over the next year because I don't think I'll be many places where I can use it a lot and I'm not going to be taking any classes in it. However, I'd like to spend some time reading novels to increase my vocabulary and maybe get to the point where I can watch French movies/TV shows without subtitles and catch the majority of what's going on.

Mandarin
I won't have any official classes in Mandarin until next September when I'm a sophomore in college, but I'm friends with about ten Chinese exchange students and I'm planning on sharing an apartment with one. When I'm around my group of Chinese friends they speak almost entirely Mandarin, so I'd like to pick up enough Mandarin in the next year to be able to be part of their conversations.

I don't plan on picking up any more languages this year since I want to solidify the three I've already started, but with me it's never a sure thing *sigh*
1 person has voted this message useful

jayjayvp
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3886 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Afrikaans
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 44 of 102
30 November 2013 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
French This is my priority language. Keep cranking up the Anki engine to learn as much vocabulary as possible, both ways too. Read newspaper articles in French regularly, read at least ten books in French. Watch the French news at least once a week. Hopefully by Easter I should be able to hazard a guess whether or not it is feasible to sit the DEFL B2 coming July.

Koine Greek Learn (all of the ) Koine vocabulary through Anki (5,500 words) , translate the Gospel pericope for the Sunday every week. After two years of hell taking (and passing) the requisite Greek for my theology degree I can`t bear the thought of forgetting all of it. Though I hated it with a passion I do suppose it has its own quirky charm. And actually knocking out occasional translations of NT texts and making snooty remarks about the shortcomings of "official" translations is good fun actually. I hope to graduate to the Greek of the Septuagint sometime in 2015.    

Latin Latin is on the backburner, but I will continue learning vocabulary through Anki, aiming at adding some twenty items of vocabulary every week (1,000 / year)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 45 of 102
30 November 2013 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:

Oh no, now that I saw there's a resource named "Tara" (which is my real name), I might get pulled into learning
Tagalog!

That's as good a reason as any to learn a language!

Polydoc
Ireland
Joined 4004 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 46 of 102
30 November 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Spanish Sit and I guess hopefully pass a B1 exam in May. Shouldn't be a problem.
My tutor reckons B2 in this time frame would be very reasonable. Personally I'm leaning
towards B1 so I can sit it for sure in May, rather than getting set on B2 then deciding
to push it back until the November exam.

French The opportunity for me to spend a year (starting September 2015) in
Nantes on Erasmus has arisen and I want to take it. The problem is, I don't yet speak a
word of French. It might seem outrageously ambitious but my plan is start studying in
about two weeks (once exams are over) put in several hours a day over the Christmas
period, keep it up and hopefully reach a B1 level before the end of the Summer. Because
I don't have a high school grade in French, I'll probably need to show a B2 cert before
they let me go as I'll have to take patient histories in the hospital and sit my exams
in French. It certainly gives a strong source of motivation. Maybe it will work out,
maybe it won't.

Mandarin I've enrolled to begin level 1 Chinese at the confucius institute in
Dublin, my plans aren't particularly ambitious, I just want to 'begin' this language
for now. Attend class every week and do my homework. If I learn any Chinese along the
way, all the better.

Japanese My passion for Japanese was recently revived. I want to regain the
spoken ability I had in this language and improve upon it, I won't focus on reading
like I used to, whatever kanji I remember and pick up along the way all the better. I'd
like to be able to watch Anime and converse lightly with the Japanese woman at the
factory I work in the Summer.

Spanish and French will be my main focuses.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5895 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 47 of 102
01 December 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
I love looking at new goals!

German: Get my SGD certificate in April and continue practicing my shorthand.

French: Take either the B1 or the B2 in April, depending how much I study between now and then

Mandarin: Learn 800 characters, finish Assmil books 1 and 2

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4298 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 48 of 102
01 December 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Mandarin
I want to reach a B2 level in Mandarin.
I think I'll be able to reach it or even exceed it by the end of 2014. I'm reaching the point where I can learn
more from interaction and native resources, such as from watching TV or talking to people on the street or my
colleagues. I've been in China for a year and a half, sometimes I have good day's worth ofstudying,
sometimes just a little bit, but I've been keeping at it everyday. I've built a good background, and the ball is
rolling. I'll keep digging away, learning more and more, being more confident and pushing myself out of my
comfort zone.

Spanish
I'll aim for a A2 level in Spanish by the end of the year, maybe higher if I can. I'll speak Spanish whenever I
hang out with native Spanish speaking friends.

Other languages
Russian, Bisaya, French, Fookien and other languages I'm interested in should all be touched upon in 2014.

This discussion contains 102 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version