leroc
United States
Joined 4121 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 17 of 102
27 November 2013 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
I want to continue reaching higher goals in Norwegian and attain a B1 level.

Since Latvia is in my travel plans for next year I also want to reach an A1-A2 in both Latvian and Russian
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4168 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 18 of 102
27 November 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
I am currently studying Italian for a Christmas trip to Italy. After I finish with Italian, at the end of 2013, it's time to move on to another language.

I decided to really use my MT and Pimsleur collection, and achieve a low level on several languages. After that, whenever it's done, I will focus on one of them and really go deeper. I am not sure which one yet.

French (and subsaharan FSI French)
German
Russian
Hebrew
Turkish
Danish (because of a dear danish friend)

I will use MT and Pimsleur, of course, and then assimil and FSI, which is very appealing to me.

I have understood what it takes for me to learn fast, and I intend to use that realization. This forum has made a great difference in that, and it has helped a lot. Anything, from people's advice to reading about their own struggles, has made me understand how to learn by myself.

I decided that humility and non perfectionism will take me a longer way than obsessing over getting absolutely everyting right. Not that I will not try that anyway, but I will not lose sleep over it or feel stressed. Languages are a hobby for me, and what I really want is to communicate with people and take part in their culture.

So:

GOAL
To achieve conversational level in more than one languages, but really get into one. Time will tell which one.

EDIT: I am thinking of making a new log for 2014, just one for all my efforts, and start with a clean slate.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 27 November 2013 at 8:27am

3 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3909 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 19 of 102
27 November 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
French
To improve to the point where it's solidly somewhere between C1-C2. I have been sitting at a, sometimes shaky sometimes more solid, B2 level for a long time and I finally realised, some months ago, that what I was doing was maintaining my level, but not really improving much (except for my vocabulary).

Breton
My goal for Breton has been, ever since I started learning the language in September, to be able to go out to a Fest Noz (a party with traditional food, music and dancing... there's always one within close driving distance of my house every weekend) in the spring of 2014, phobias be damned, and be able to converse with people, however shakily, entirely in Breton. Once I've done that I'll set a new goal to reach. I couldn't tell you what level I'm at right now, though, as I'm all over the place. I can listen to a children's audio book for 6 year olds (as I did yesterday) and understand nearly every word, for example, but I'd be really hard pressed to retell the story. I'm probably more at the level of talking about the weather and where I'm going (or who I am, where I come from etc.), when it comes to speaking.

Edited by eyðimörk on 27 November 2013 at 8:43am

catullus_roar
Quadrilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4378 days ago

89 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Malay, Hokkien*, English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese*, French, German, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Latin, Armenian, Afrikaans, Russian

Message 20 of 102
27 November 2013 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Dari

Using Routledge Farsi and Pimsleur Dari. I hope to finish Pimsleur, and learn to write Farsi well by mid-2014 using Routledge. If anyone has recs on Arabic writing materials, please please help.

German

I hope to improve my German by reading novels which are not just translations of English, or plays by Goethe and hence I will improve my vocab. I am also going to be taking group classes to help with advanced conversation and pronunciation.

Russian

Ongoing project, hope to master Russian well enough to speak more comfortably in a social situation as well as read a Russian novel by the end of the year and write letters in both cursive and print Russian.

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4084 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 21 of 102
27 November 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Mandarin

Some sort of homebrewed superchallenge about which I'm currently thinking on my log. I find it more convienient to concentrate on rigid, but easily measured, milestones than on general knowledge indices such as the CEFR or exams like the HSK. Not that I don't want to use them from time to time. But a superchallenge-like process involves a daily routine that could help me, hopefully, to reach the next level.
2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 22 of 102
27 November 2013 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
My tentative goals...

Spanish - start it and reach conversational level. I think it's realistic given that I know two similar languages, I already understand some of it, and I live in a city with tens of thousands of Spanish speakers.

Italian - reach a more advanced and fluent level. I plan to visit Italy at least once.

French - find the time to at least keep maintaining and practising it, and hopefully keep slowly improving. I still feel like my French is almost where I'd like it to be but not quite.

I'd also like to learn a bit more Greek after having learnt some very basic stuff this year; I don't see myself having much time for that but if travel possibilities come up then I'll make some.

As always the main difficulty is going to be time! From experience I've deliberately made my goals a bit vague and flexible because what I'll want to achieve and be able to achieve could change a lot based on my social life (if I were to make friends with French people then I'd focus more on French, etc.), travel plans, and commitments for other interests and work.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4461 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 23 of 102
27 November 2013 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
My tentative goals:

Arabic - keep learning it to be able to converse with natives to a degree

German - keep refreshing it so that I don't forget the basics. Stop mixing den/dem up - ... hopefully reach the A1 level.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4159 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 24 of 102
27 November 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
My goals:
Japanese: I want to have studied ~2200 words with my current method, by the conference
in Berlin, so that I'll have studied 8000 words then. Not sure if that'll be enough, so as for a bit
more vague goals, I want to be able to say I know this language before 2015.
Mandarin: 5000 words with the current method by the conference, and 8000 by the end of
the year.
Na'vi: Not sure if I'll have enough energy and time to do this one too, but if I'd learn mere 5
words a day, I could know the whole vocabulary of the language before the end of the year.

This discussion contains 102 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version