119 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 14 15 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 81 of 119
02 January 2014 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And I bet you got it right when you heard about the Russian troops in
Georgia.

Only because of football actually, hahaha... you know that FIFA World Cup 2010 had this
map where they showed info about the football history of a certain country... very useful
because they didn't just point out Greece or Brazil but also Cape Verde and Angola and
India and such
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3916 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 82 of 119
03 January 2014 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
stelingo wrote:
fabriciocarraro wrote:

culebrilla wrote:
Most people don't know that Portuguese is spoken in Angola,
Mozambique, Capo Verde, and Macau, for example.

I'd say that most people don't know that Portuguese is spoken in Brazil... if I earned
1 real each time that someone asked if we spoke Spanish...haha

When I was doing a Portuguese course in Rio in 2008 there was a Welsh woman there. She
had come to work as a volunteer in the favelas but was having 2 weeks language classes
first. She had told everybody back home she was looking forward to learning some
Spanish, and only discovered she would be learning Portuguese once she had arrived!

No way. That can't be a true story, right? Crazy. Maybe she was joking?

No, I'm afraid to say she wasn't

If you want to really really piss off a brazillian, ask if we speak Spanish in Brazil.
=)

Once in Greece, a man selling souvenirs asked where I was from and started to speak in
spanish with me. It was nothing to be bothered, he was trying to be nice and even
trying to use his Spanish with someone... but It pissed me off... I had to pretend I
wasn't angry in order to be polite.

I don't know why we get so bothered, but we do. Well I do... if someone say that he
knows we speak portuguese and asks me if he could speak Spanish with me, I would gladly
accept that... but I find it rude when someone assumes that we speak Spanish and start
to talk in Spanish right away. Am I being childish?

Edited by Cristianoo on 03 January 2014 at 12:54am

3 persons have voted this message useful

gRodriguez
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3823 days ago

44 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, Galician
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 83 of 119
03 January 2014 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Cristianoo wrote:
stelingo wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
stelingo wrote:
fabriciocarraro wrote:

culebrilla wrote:
Most people don't know that Portuguese is spoken in Angola,
Mozambique, Capo Verde, and Macau, for example.

I'd say that most people don't know that Portuguese is spoken in Brazil... if I earned
1 real each time that someone asked if we spoke Spanish...haha

When I was doing a Portuguese course in Rio in 2008 there was a Welsh woman there. She
had come to work as a volunteer in the favelas but was having 2 weeks language classes
first. She had told everybody back home she was looking forward to learning some
Spanish, and only discovered she would be learning Portuguese once she had arrived!

No way. That can't be a true story, right? Crazy. Maybe she was joking?

No, I'm afraid to say she wasn't

If you want to really really piss off a brazillian, ask if we speak Spanish in Brazil.
=)

Once in Greece, a man selling souvenirs asked where I was from and started to speak in
spanish with me. It was nothing to be bothered, he was trying to be nice and even
trying to use his Spanish with someone... but It pissed me off... I had to pretend I
wasn't angry in order to be polite.

I don't know why we get so bothered, but we do. Well I do... if someone say that he
knows we speak portuguese and asks me if he could speak Spanish with me, I would gladly
accept that... but I find it rude when someone assumes that we speak Spanish and start
to talk in Spanish right away. Am I being childish?

Kinda, but so am I. Now imagine having a Japanese getting his language confused with Chinese when those are as related as English and Arab (in others not from the same language family).

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4328 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 84 of 119
03 January 2014 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
I once had a pretty nasty altercation with a Neo-Nazi in Germany, after I had seen him abusing a Vietnamese guy in Asian store I used to go to. He had said something about immigrants not being welcome, so of course when I came in the fray, he got super angry with me and started threatening me with all sorts of things. Unfortunately, my German wasn't sufficiently good at the time to reply in kind.

This video Melbourne (my home town) shocked me when I saw it last year. Apparently this all started because some French girls were singing in French at the back of a bus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6J6PF47CM

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3792 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 85 of 119
03 January 2014 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
That's crazy and also kind of unexpected to me. I didn't think that English speakers from Australia would look down on a French speaker, somebody from a fellow first world country. I would probably expect racism to occur between black/white or people from very different cultures but not from Western cultures.

Actually, take that back. I know that there are still a lot of Chinese still bitter about what happened in WW2 with Japan and how they are still pissed because a lot of Japanese textbooks gloss over the MANY atrocities committed by the Japanese imperial armed forces. Here in the US as an Asian I don't feel it as much, although personally I still am a little resentful of what happened in WW2. It's not the fault of the Japanese that were born after 1945 and that didn't have anything to do with it, of course.
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4085 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 86 of 119
03 January 2014 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
In the UK I have heard some comments of rivalry, some more than rivalry that are
offensive, about France, usually due to historical reasons and battles, such as the
Norman Conquest, the Napoleonic Wars, the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in Québec in
1763, King Henry VIII, and other silliness that apparently causes rivalry in teenagers,
despite some events happening almost one millenium ago. Even more strange is that
France
are something like 40 km away from England and share quite a bit of culture between
each
other. I never understood it, and France for me is one of my favourite places to
holiday.

Also I notice that quite a few seem to speak below B1 Spanish to people in Portugsl
because they do not know Portuguese, just because probably Spanish have more speakers,
Spain are a bordering country, and Spain have more political influence. But I think
that this would simply be especially insulting to a Portuguese person, especially given
that Portugal and Spain have been competing countries throughout history. It is like
saying, "I do not know your language, but I know a bit of an 80% related language of a
political
rival that you may or may not know how to speak, so I shall speak to you therewith even
though my speech is broken and hopefully you can communicate with me."

Edited by 1e4e6 on 03 January 2014 at 2:55am

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3792 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 87 of 119
03 January 2014 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
In the UK I have heard some comments of rivalry, some more than rivalry that are
offensive, about France, usually due to historical reasons and battles, such as the
Norman Conquest, the Napoleonic Wars, the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in Québec in
1763, King Henry VIII, and other silliness that apparently causes rivalry in teenagers,
despite some events happening almost one millenium ago. Even more strange is that
France
are something like 40 km away from England and share quite a bit of culture between
each
other. I never understood it, and France for me is one of my favourite places to
holiday.

Also I notice that quite a few seem to speak below B1 Spanish to people in Portugsl
because they do not know Portuguese, just because probably Spanish have more speakers,
Spain are a bordering country, and Spain have more political influence. But I think
that this would simply be especially insulting to a Portuguese person, especially given
that Portugal and Spain have been competing countries throughout history. It is like
saying, "I do not know your language, but I know a bit of an 80% related language of a
political
rival that you may or may not know how to speak, so I shall speak to you therewith even
though my speech is broken and hopefully you can communicate with me."

Yes they were competitors but they were also allies in the Iberian Union that they formed. All of the colonial powers of the day were both allies and enemies depending on the best political union they could form. From England, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Germany, to Spain, there was a lot of competition and a lot of alliances going on.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4085 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 88 of 119
03 January 2014 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
I also had a Brasilian classmate in university who complained to me that everyone tried
to speak Spanish to him as well, and usually A2/B1 at maximum. He knew Spanish, but could
not even communicate because his interlocutors could not follow. Then the other problem
was that I knew Portuguese, but only the European form, and he had problems understanding
me as well. He said that I spoke like Carminho and that the grammatical constructions
were odd to him, i.e. he said that he never heard anyone say to him, Ver-vos-ei
amanhã
, but that he saw things like that in an old book.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 03 January 2014 at 3:39am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version