culebrilla
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 33 of 119
22 December 2013 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
DaisyMaisy wrote:
I saw something today that made me think of this thread: I was riding the streetcar on my way to work, and it happens that the recorded announcements of each stop and the usual, "be cautious crossing the streets" etc are given in both English and Spanish. An older gentleman got on and must have been hearing this for the first time because he made a statement like, "Did you hear that? Don't people speak English?" in a rather rude way. The response of everyone near him was to stare at his rudeness and one person said "So?". He got the message pretty quickly and said something to the effect that he was just kidding. I think he would have been the type to say unpleasant things to others, but fortunately he had no supporters on the streetcar, so he shut up.

A bus driver was fired here a few years ago for berating a Spanish speaking woman (incorrectly as it turned out) for not having paid her fare. She made statements about the woman not speaking English (also incorrect). A complaint was filed and the racism aspect was key in her being terminated. Interestingly this same driver had a prior incident of shouting at a young Spanish speaking woman with a crying baby on a crowded bus and telling her to get off the bus if the baby wouldn't be quiet. The woman got off the bus, as did the rest of the passengers, in protest of the driver's actions. Made me happy that people sided with the woman and got off with her!

You could have given him a history lesson and told him what languages were spoken before English in large swaths of the US. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 34 of 119
22 December 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
culebrilla wrote:
Not really discrimination, but I remember in middle school my friends that took French would make fun of us since we studied Spanish. They would say, "A lot of people speak Spanish but you'll just be able to speak to poor people."
Not really discrimination? Just because it wasn't directed at you?

Also, ignorant monolinguals exist everywhere. Cool down a bit please :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 

Message 35 of 119
22 December 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
Not really discrimination, but I remember in middle school my friends that took French would make fun of us since we studied Spanish. They would say, "A lot of people speak Spanish but you'll just be able to speak to poor people."

They weren't that "mean" to me; their comments were, I think, said partly in jest. Only they and God know what they were thinking when they said it.

I don't see where I was animated or needed to "cool down", to be honest. It's very hard to see a person's emotions when you're just reading a message, you know.

It's not limited to Americans. A lot of other language speakers really need to improve their language ability in their native languages before moving on to foreign languages. You know, complicated things like the difference between "there/their", "its/it's", "your/you're".

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4078 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 36 of 119
22 December 2013 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
Not really discrimination, but I remember in
middle
school my friends that took French would make fun of us since we studied Spanish. They
would say, "A lot of people speak Spanish but you'll just be able to speak to poor
people."

Better to be poor than ignorant.

But are not La Francophonie composed of some countries that have severe financial and
economic problems anyway, just like countries of the old Spanish Empire? Quite a few
countries of all European Empires are in some economic trouble and extreme poverty is
present in some form compared to Europe--whether they be Francophone, Hispanophone,
Lusophone, Anglophone, Netherlandophone, etc. A few exceptions whereof I can think are
Singapore, Hong Kong, Martinique, etc., so it does not differ by language.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 22 December 2013 at 9:09pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 37 of 119
22 December 2013 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
It's funny how perception of a language differs due to the location. That comment about poverty would never
have been made here, as for us Spanish is connected to Spain which for the larger part of my life has had
quite a strong economy. The few Latin -Americans we see here are either political refugees, and get respect
for that regardless of their economic situation, or are tourist. And tourist that can afford to go to Norway are
not exactly short on money.

If anything, Spanish is considered an exotic language that almost everyone would like to know.

And even though I in general think that joking is a good thing, I think I would have been hurt if someone said
something like that about my native language.
6 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4078 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 38 of 119
22 December 2013 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
True, Spain have generally had a good economy, there are massive amounts of northern
Europeans there for holiday, many retirees there, and each time I look at the
destionation maps from UK airports in the flight magazine, there are sometimes more
than
20 flights from Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds-Bradford, Glasgow, and definitely Heathrow
Airports. If I remember correctly, Spain are the number one destination for holidays
for
the UK, so poverty is usually not in mind. The economic crisis has been essentially no
earlier than 2008-2009, and still, it is not as if there are massive favela-style
neighbourhoods in Madrid and Barcelona. Also not all of Hispanic America have such
poverty--anyone that has been to Santiago de Chile will notice that the city looks like
some sort of a mix of Barcelona, Los Angeles, and Toronto, and Chile have a very strong
economy and fairly high standard of living.

In any case, people affected by <la crisis> in Spain still have a higher standard of
living than most of the world, and even some of Europe as well.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 22 December 2013 at 11:55pm

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 

Message 39 of 119
23 December 2013 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
Serpent wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
Not really discrimination, but I remember in
middle
school my friends that took French would make fun of us since we studied Spanish. They
would say, "A lot of people speak Spanish but you'll just be able to speak to poor
people."

Better to be poor than ignorant.

But are not La Francophonie composed of some countries that have severe financial and
economic problems anyway, just like countries of the old Spanish Empire? Quite a few
countries of all European Empires are in some economic trouble and extreme poverty is
present in some form compared to Europe--whether they be Francophone, Hispanophone,
Lusophone, Anglophone, Netherlandophone, etc. A few exceptions whereof I can think are
Singapore, Hong Kong, Martinique, etc., so it does not differ by language.

Check the stats and the latin american countries are WORLD'S away much better off then the African countries, excepting a very select few. And these exceptions are Arabic speaking in addition to Nigeria and South Africa.

People in the US just tend to look down on Spanish because they see poor migrants and associate them with the language. They don't know that Latin America has, I've read, the greatest income inequality in the world. So there are a lot of rich folks in Latin America also. Carlos Slim, a Mexican man, is sometimes the richest man in the world depending on stock values.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5014 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 40 of 119
28 December 2013 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
[...] Spain are the number one destination for holidays for the UK, so poverty is usually not in mind. The economic crisis has been essentially no earlier than 2008-2009, and still, it is not as if there are massive favela-style
neighbourhoods in Madrid and Barcelona.

Oh, but they are all around, and Madrid and Barcelona have the biggest ones. Sure, Brazil's favelas look way bigger in the documentaries and movies I've seen, but it's all a matter of perspective -- when it comes to facts, however, we have big poor neighbourhoods here too, and I think it's the same with most big cities everywhere. We're just seeing how such locations are possibly not very appealing to tourists in most places.

Quote:
Also not all of Hispanic America have such poverty--anyone that has been to Santiago de Chile will notice that the city looks like [...] In any case, people affected by <la crisis> in Spain still have a higher standard of living than most of the world, and even some of Europe as well.

Again, a matter of perspective. I have a close friend and a cousin working in Chile. They both say being there is like travelling 40 years back in time, poverty is all around, etc. Still, they got jobs and can earn a living there, even with 'low salaries', while they would be unemployed had they stayed in Spain. Who's 'poorer'?

WRT comments on how speaking Spanish (or whatever foreign language) will only enable you to speak to 'poor' people, I've never had that in the past -- nowadays people like that wouldn't like my reply if they got one.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version