Joined 3785 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 105 of 119
04 January 2014 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
There was a scientific study done regarding intelligibility between
Spanish speakers and Portuguese speakers. Pretty high for different languages but if
there is an emergency or a need for very accurate interpretation, I would not be
comfortable speaking with a Portuguese speaker. Writing, a lot more so. But even then
some things would be missed if the false friends weren't known.

Spanish speaker understanding Portuguese: It was like 50%.

Portuguese speaker understanding Spanish speaker: It was like 58%.

The difference was statistically significant.

Edit: Go to the link the page for the study. The direct pdf link wouldn't work for some
reason.

http://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/mutual-intelli gibility-in-the-romance-
languages/

Isnt that amount of understanding good enough?

I based my statements on a couple of Portuguese acquaintances. Regarding Spaniards,
they said that Spaniards understand what the Portuguese are saying, but pretend not to.

I honestly didn't read the study word for word. However, I'm pretty sure that it was just 50-57% word comprehension. That obviously doesn't get you very far in terms of understanding details. Your comprehension of the total message will be piss-poor if you understand half of the words.

Edit: I couldn't find the exact details in the study pdf. It is probably word comprehension since you can't really define global understanding, I believe. I saw a wiklipedia discussion about mutual intelligibility and some people wrote, "I've been STUDYING Spanish for three months and I am understand Portuguese really well/easily."

The issue, again, is that beginners think they know a lot but they really don't know much at all. With three months of "low-key" studying you won't understand much of a language, let alone a relatively similar one that is still a distinct language.

Edited by culebrilla on 04 January 2014 at 12:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4078 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 106 of 119
04 January 2014 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:

Also I notice that quite a few seem to speak below B1 Spanish to people in Portugsl
because they do not know Portuguese, just because probably Spanish have more speakers,
Spain are a bordering country, and Spain have more political influence. But I think
that this would simply be especially insulting to a Portuguese person, especially given
that Portugal and Spain have been competing countries throughout history. It is like
saying, "I do not know your language, but I know a bit of an 80% related language of a
political
rival that you may or may not know how to speak, so I shall speak to you therewith even
though my speech is broken and hopefully you can communicate with me."

The alternative to the aforementioned broken communication is no communication at all
(I am assuming no English).

That is not the issue, the issue is that it is strange to be at A2 Spanish at most, go
to Portugal or Brasil on holiday, speak broken Spanish either assuming that the
Lusophone interlocutor can understand Spanish completely, or assume that because
Spanish has more political influence and more speakers, that Lusophones all somehow
learn Spanish to an advanced level and not vice versa.

English is an international language now, and not just because the USA have so much
political power that they can somehow force all countries by decree to learn it, but
the combined forces of the big five, viz. UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the
old 57 Empire and Commonwealth countries, as well as the science, technology, business,
etc. in thecombination of all Anglophone countries, in addition to polylingual
institutions in Europe. It can, just like Latin, cease to be used and diverge into
various completely separate languages like how Latin diverged into Spanish, Portuguese,
French, Romanian, Catalan, Galician, Valencian, Italian, etc. I personally prefer that
English did not become so international and was simply a random language used in
England, I prefer the linguistic content of Old English with its
five cases,
three genders,
the [dual form, etc.,
but that is a different topic.

Broken Spanish and English are not required to communicate in the Lusophone world, i.e.
no communication and communication via English or Broken Spanish are not the only
choices. There lays, of course, the probably more principled option of simply learning
some Portuguese before travelling there. It would be akin to a non-native German
speaker who is A2 at most to attempt to speak German in the Netherlands, because it is
"mutually intelligble", or speaking French whilst on holiday in Italy since it "looks
similar on paper".

A Lusophone in Portugal could simply say, <<Não falo inglês, nem espanhol>>. It is his
or her country, and cannot be excepted to know either language despite the fact that
English and Spanish hold higher political influence and more speakers.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 04 January 2014 at 3:26am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 107 of 119
04 January 2014 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
gRodriguez wrote:

One more thing, you probably didn't mean to, but you sounded racist on the French
comment.

But that French stereotype is true (I dont know how you got a racist vibe). A (very
basic french speaking) friend of mine, after living in a region where French was spoken
told me he had finally found a secret to communicating in English (when the Frenchperson
also knew English). "parlez vous anglai?" almost never worked. Its only when he spoke in
broken French, murdering the language, that the Frenchperson would start speaking in
(good) English. I have similar anecdotes from other people.
It's not racist because French is not a race, but I would say it's quite nationalist. (I hate when the two are lumped together!) The whole point of stereotypes is that they're beyond the category of true or false. Most of the time it's possible to find some examples for a stereotype, but they don't make it "true", and the examples may well be a disproportionally noticeable minority.

Your experience doesn't turn the stereotype into a universal truth. I haven't even heard about the French agreeing to use their good English only after you hurt their ears with your French. I would assume that those who actually speak good English don't mind using it? BTW I always thought it was pointless how guidebooks teach you to say "do you speak English/French/German/Russian" in the local language. If the person speaks it, they will understand the question in that language. Just acknowledge that you don't have a superiority complex (especially with English), for example say you are sorry you don't speak the person's native language. A demonstration is not necessary, and if you happen to pronounce a pre-learned phrase well it will be confusing that you know a bit of the language but don't want to speak it.

(I think this might have happened to your friend. You say his overall level was poor, but being in the country he got to hear the correct pronunciation a lot, and if he asked the same question many times he probably learned to pronounce it well too. Also, it's often good to explicitly say "I don't know how to say this in language X".)

Edited by Serpent on 04 January 2014 at 3:21am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 108 of 119
04 January 2014 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
culebrilla wrote:
I saw a wiklipedia discussion about mutual intelligibility and some people wrote, "I've been STUDYING Spanish for three months and I am understand Portuguese really well/easily."

The issue, again, is that beginners think they know a lot but they really don't know much at all. With three months of "low-key" studying you won't understand much of a language, let alone a relatively similar one that is still a distinct language.
Beginners in Spanish rely heavily on their English (and in some cases maybe their high school French or Latin). Portuguese and Spanish have more or less the same level of similarity to English, so in the beginning it's quite plausible to understand Portuguese as "well" (actually as badly) as Spanish.

Edited by Serpent on 04 January 2014 at 3:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3870 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 109 of 119
04 January 2014 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Your experience doesn't turn the stereotype into a universal truth. I haven't even
heard about the French agreeing to use their good English only after you hurt their
ears with your French. I would assume that those who actually speak good English don't
mind using it?

Yes, its not a universal truth, but I get to hear such anecdotes a lot. Its not just
English. I heard another anecdote from a German expat who had been communicating in
broken French with his neighbor, only to discover months later that the neighbor spoke
perfect German, but did not want to speak in German.

Serpent wrote:

BTW I always thought it was pointless how guidebooks teach you to say "do you
speak English/French/German/Russian" in the local language. If the person speaks it,
they will understand the question in that language.

I think it is the polite thing to do. Like Cristianoo gets bent that people speak to
her in Spanish, and wants people to ask her before before they say anything in Spanish.

Edited by Gemuse on 04 January 2014 at 3:59am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 110 of 119
04 January 2014 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
I think a large proportion of people who have spoken broken French in France have had negative
experiences. That is not racism. That is just stating the facts. When I started out learning French I
experienced two reactions from them. In the beginning when my French was bad, 98% of the people I met
regarded me as garbage, and would not even make an effort to try and understand what I said. After I
learned to speak fluent French I was treated like a queen.

Nowadays when I go to France (mostly Paris) what irritates me the most is that I start out speaking French
with people at a reception, a restaurant or a shop, but the second they see my name they go into English.
This is mostly a Paris thing though, and probably due to the vast amounts of foreigners. In the rest of the
country they are happy to just speak French with you.

We have touched upon the attitude of the French many times, and at least when I was younger there was a
vast difference between the French and any other nation I had encountered - with the possible exception of
the English/Americans. Those were the only ones who expected you to be fluent in their language, and
regarded you as an idiot if you were not. The difference of course being, that a lot of people do speak
English, and significantly fewer speak French.

As for using one language that you speak badly in order to communicate with someone who speaks a
related language - well you do what you can. If I had a guy from China who spoke Swedish or Dutch, the
chances of us being able to communicate in any way would be a lot higher if he used those languages than if
he used Mandarin. Whenever I need to ommunicate with someone from a Slavic speaking country, I will try
Russian if we have no other language in common. I know most young people do not speak Russian, and my
Russian is still very weak, but for a Pole, if he had to chose between me speaking Norwegian or Russian, he
would probably go for Russian.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 04 January 2014 at 8:45am

6 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 

Message 111 of 119
04 January 2014 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
That's weird. I always thought of us Americans are being pretty welcoming compared to most others. We are definitely more superficial than a lot of other people, I've noticed. We will smile and ask how people are more than the Europeans I've met in Europe, for example.

Sucks that you were treated poorly when your French wasn't good. :(

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 

Message 112 of 119
04 January 2014 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
I saw a wiklipedia discussion about mutual intelligibility and some people wrote, "I've been STUDYING Spanish for three months and I am understand Portuguese really well/easily."

Beginners in Spanish rely heavily on their English (and in some cases maybe their high school French or Latin). Portuguese and Spanish have more or less the same level of similarity to English, so in the beginning it's quite plausible to understand Portuguese as "well" (actually as badly) as Spanish.

No, but he was saying that he understood "almost everything." Don't know what you don't know.

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version