119 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 65 of 119
02 January 2014 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
The thing is that people from the USA consider their 50 states to be basic knowledge while Europeans disagree ;)
5 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4085 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 66 of 119
02 January 2014 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
I would feel extremely embarassed if I thought that Paris, the capital of France, were
instead the capital of Chile, Greece, Malaysia, or New Zealand.
2 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3792 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 67 of 119
02 January 2014 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The thing is that people from the USA consider their 50 states to be basic knowledge while Europeans disagree ;)

I'm from the US and no, I couldn't name 50 states easily right now off the top of my head. 50 is a LOT; especially to locate. All those tiny states in the NE.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 68 of 119
02 January 2014 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
Most people don't know that Portuguese is spoken in Angola, Mozambique, Capo Verde, and Macau, for example.

I'd say that most people don't know that Portuguese is spoken in Brazil... if I earned 1 real each time that someone asked if we spoke Spanish...haha

When I was doing a Portuguese course in Rio in 2008 there was a Welsh woman there. She had come to work as a volunteer in the favelas but was having 2 weeks language classes first. She had told everybody back home she was looking forward to learning some Spanish, and only discovered she would be learning Portuguese once she had arrived!
5 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 69 of 119
02 January 2014 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
There's a famous fail when Zhirkov was asked how he communicates with Roberto Carlos and other Brazilian teammates, and he was like "yeah, they don't speak Russian or English, only Brazilian". And it wasn't just a slip of the tongue or anything, it seems like he honestly thought there are two different languages, Portuguese and Brazilian. And it's not like he can prove his point by using the Swadesh lists or pronunciation differences...

But I've come across Brazilians who insist that they speak Brazilian and not Portuguese.
1 person has voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3792 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 

Message 70 of 119
02 January 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
fabriciocarraro wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
Most people don't know that Portuguese is spoken in Angola, Mozambique, Capo Verde, and Macau, for example.

I'd say that most people don't know that Portuguese is spoken in Brazil... if I earned 1 real each time that someone asked if we spoke Spanish...haha

When I was doing a Portuguese course in Rio in 2008 there was a Welsh woman there. She had come to work as a volunteer in the favelas but was having 2 weeks language classes first. She had told everybody back home she was looking forward to learning some Spanish, and only discovered she would be learning Portuguese once she had arrived!

No way. That can't be a true story, right? Crazy. Maybe she was joking?
1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4446 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 71 of 119
02 January 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Have you seen the scans of blind maps of Europe filled out by american students? Made me laugh. Of course, a lot of europeans may have trouble as well but it seems to be more of an issue when it comes to people in the US.

I remember being given a blind map of the US (as a visual help) and being asked to note all the states. The teacher, who has been to the US several times, complimented us on listing nearly all states and said that most US folks would have trouble with a similar exercise with European countries. Not placing them on map. Just listing them.

Note that a country is much more important than a state - the Europeans being expected to know the US states is just like being expected to know all Russian oblasts. Unreasonable.
6 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3792 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 

Message 72 of 119
02 January 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Quote:
Have you seen the scans of blind maps of Europe filled out by american students? Made me laugh. Of course, a lot of europeans may have trouble as well but it seems to be more of an issue when it comes to people in the US.

I remember being given a blind map of the US (as a visual help) and being asked to note all the states. The teacher, who has been to the US several times, complimented us on listing nearly all states and said that most US folks would have trouble with a similar exercise with European countries. Not placing them on map. Just listing them.

Note that a country is much more important than a state - the Europeans being expected to know the US states is just like being expected to know all Russian oblasts. Unreasonable.

People know the most about the most influential countries. That's just the way it is.

China is in the news a lot more than, say, Burkina Faso so most people know a little bit about Chinese culture or general information than less influential countries.

In Spain my apartment mates knew a lot about American television since it was all they watched on tv. I didn't even know what "House" was because I don't watch tv. But most Europeans that have access to a tv watch a lot more American shows than vice versa. Don't like it? Just stop watching it. One of my european friends complains to me sometimes about the dominance of US programs in their country. Well, produce a show or something or don't watch it.

Also I don't think anybody expects Europeans to know all the US states; that knowledge is really kind of inconsequential. It is probably expected to know the names of some like California, New York, Florida or Texas. Just like how most people know the names of certain cities like Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice, and know what countries each are found in.

Edit: But most Europeans that have access to a tv watch a lot more American shows than Americans watching European shows.

Edited by culebrilla on 02 January 2014 at 11:37am

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version