Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Sarnek’s Log - TAC ’15 (Rätsel, Sleipnir)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 21 22 Next >>
Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4003 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 65 of 176
31 July 2014 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
New update:

As stated before, I'll continue to prioritise Swedish over German in the course of this
Summer, although, I must say, it's going quite well with both languages. I've begun
using native materials (media, in
particular), especially for Swedish.

About the book I'm reading, it's going incredibly slowly, but hey, I'm enjoying it
overall.

So far I've watched 3 Swedish films (with ENG subtitles): I rymden finns inga
känslor
, Himlen är oskyldigt blå and Patrik 1,5 and the first episode
of the TV series Solsidan, for which I
haven't been able to find any good ENG/ITA subs, and since it's comedy and quite light,
I've decided to watch it without subtitles altogether.

I've made it my policy to read stuff in my TLs whenever the occasion presents itself.
For example, I wanted to know more about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and I'm now
reading it in Swedish. Perhaps not the best
of topics at this stage, but whatever.

I'm also following the series "Peter Apelgrens semesteräventyr" on SVT, which not only
is fun, but I also get to listen to a variety of accents from all around Sweden.

Last but not least, I've finished watching the series "Welcome to Sweden". Not much
Swedish there, but I deem it useful to listen to Swedes speaking English to catch
patterns of their prosody.

I'm trying to speak as much as possible, too, even on my own. I do this not only to
become more fluent but also to get my vowels right as much as possible since there are
only 5 vowels (a, ɛ, i, ɔ and u) in
my regional variant whereas Swedish has 20+. I generally use Sharedtalk.com, but it's
really hard to find Swedes there, so I mostly use it to speak with Germans. Suggestions
on websites to chat with Swedes are
welcome.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Sarnek on 31 July 2014 at 2:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4003 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 66 of 176
15 August 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Mid-August update.

August has turned out to be quite a poor month language-learning-wise so far, and I
don't
see it getting any better. I should have expected it though: with an heavy exam to get
ready for in September, there's little to no time (unfortunately) to dedicate to
languages. And that little time I prefer to spend it on something else (unfortunately)
*rant mode on* BECAUSE IT'S TOO DAMN HOT!!!*rant mode off*. Anyway, when I do have
time, I
just watch something on SVT or listen to klartext. I have to admit though, that I'm
completely neglecting German, which can't be good.

Edited by Sarnek on 15 August 2014 at 6:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4003 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 67 of 176
05 September 2014 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
This summer has been a (half) complete disaster for my languages. Half because I
still got to practice somehow, but not so much as I wished I could.

A new year is about to begin, I need to focus.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 68 of 176
12 October 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Hej! Hur har du det?

How's Swedish coming along? And what about the new (university) year?

Hör av dig!

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4003 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 69 of 176
12 October 2014 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Hej!

It's crazy but I haven't been able to find a good half an hour spare to write a full update.

For the moment I can say that I'm satisfied overall with my languages, but I want to set much higher goals for this
year. It's going to be tough, but challenging and fun as well.

In my Swedish class we're going to read a book (yay!) which is called "Det är så logiskt alla fattar utom du". In
German class we have a new teacher, who seems to be better than last year's.

Anyway, that's all for the moment, I hope to find the time to write a more exhaustive post as soon as possible.

Ha det bra!

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4003 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 70 of 176
16 October 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Hallo.

This is a little something I've written to better stick into my head a few German idioms and words. Some may seem a
little "forced", especially the last sentence, I guess, but I hope you'll be able to understand what I tried to
mean. As usual, corrections and suggestions are more than welcome.

Hänsel und Gretel

Ein Tag sind Hänsel und Gretel in der Wald spazierengegangen. Zunächest haben sie ein sehr verlockendes, Marzipan
Haus gesehen. Gretel wollte in das Haus gehen, aber Hänsel sagte "die Legende lautet, dass in diesem Haus, eine Hexe
lebt". Gretel antwortete "Das ist nur eine alte Legende, man kann davon ausgehen, dass das Haus frei ist. Komm,
gehen wir!".

Als sie das Haus angekommen hatten, prüfte Gretel das Haus, und versuchte sie, eine Stück des Hauses zu essen. Dann
sagte Hänsel "Achtung Gretel, unsere Leben stehen auf dem Spiel!". Da kommte aus das Haus eine alte, wütende Frau,
die ihnen fragte, "Schmeckt das Haus gut? Sie müssen jetzt aber aufhören!" Die Kinder antworteten "Bitte schöne
Frau, können wir bitte fortsetzen?" Die alte Frau hat darüber für einen kurzen Augenblick nachgedacht, und dann
sagte sie "Das kommt darauf an. Also, machen wir eine Vereinbarung: wenn ihr heute Aben mit mir das Abenbrot esst,
könnt ihr morgen fortetzen, mein Haus zu essen".

Zum Abendessen haben sie viel gegessen, und Hansel sagte "Ich kann nicht mehr, das ist über meinen Umfang hinaus!"

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4003 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 71 of 176
11 November 2014 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Little update.

I'm not posting as often anymore as I haven't really changed my routine that much, besides having finished Assimil. What I'm trying to accomplish at the end of each day right now looks
somewhat like this:
- Wake up early and go for a walk whilst listening to some swedish podcasts.
- Read as much as I can, from every possible source (Wikipedia, Books, Comics, Ikea Instructions...)
- Watch as much television as possible: I didn't think it was so important, but getting to know a country's culture really boosts the language-learning process up.

Now, this "list", especially applies for Swedish, and I've successfully (so far) been able to stick to it every day. As far as German is conncerned, well, I haven't been able to find
A2-B1.level podcasts, nor
German streaming websites for television, they are mostly banned in Italy and if they aren't, they have no subs or stream some really old programs (suggestions are extremely welcome).

Speaking is not at the top of my prorities right now (even though it should be), because it's really hard and time consuming to find both native speakers willing to speak with a non-
fluent learner and a common,
interesting subject to talk about.

Books that I'm reading:
Right now I'm reading "Det är så logiskt alla fattar utom du", and I've got a few chapters into it. It's going a lot smoother than "Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och
försvann", which may be either
because I've made some actual progress or because it has a much easier topic. I like to think it's the former :P, but the latter is more plausible. Either way, I'm enjoying it, which is
the most important thing.

Books I'm planning to read:
I've found one of the books my father used to learn German himself: "Die Kameliendame". I need to find/make the time to actually pick it up and get started with it, despite the outdated
ortography and its complexity.

Television:
These are the programs I watch on a regular basis:
- Vem Vet Mest? A very fun and educational Quiz-show.
- Portkod 1525. A jättebra TV-series. 100% recommended.

Plus I might happen to stumble upon a few others from time to time.

Apart from this, which is what I do "on my own", there's a lot of homework I do for classes.

I'm feeling like I've made some good progress overall, I just wish I had more opportunities to speak.

Edited by Sarnek on 11 November 2014 at 8:17pm

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4003 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 72 of 176
13 November 2014 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Another German story I wrote:

Eines Tages spielte im Haus ein Kind mit einen Ball. Der Ball ist durch ein Fester
geflogen und hat es zerbrochen. Sein Vater ärgert sich darüber und hat seinen Sohn aus
dem Haus getreten. Dann machte sich der Vater viele Sorgen: Er war sehr unruhig denn
er wusste nicht, wo sein Sohn war.
Danach entschied er sich, nach seinem Sohn zu suchen. Er ist in einen Wald gegangen
und hat viel gerufen, und hat gehofft, seinen Sohn zu finden.
Unglücklicherweise hat er seinen Sohn nicht gefunden, und ist nach Hause
zurückgegangen. Als er in den Nähe von dem Fenster stand, hat ihn ein Ball getroffen,
der das andere Fenster zerbrochen hat.
Aber diesmal hat sich der Vater nicht über seinen Sohn geärgert, sondern er hat ihn
umarmt.

Das Ende.

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version