Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4167 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 73 of 118
05 February 2014 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
The last few days have not been so good for studying. I've been missing out on speaking time so its been
less motivating. Just keep swimming Ryan..

German - Listened to 15 minutes of podcast and that was it. I did get a few songs in but I didn't count those.
No Duolingo today for German.

Spanish - 38 minutes of Anki and 10 minutes of Duo.

French - 15 minutes of Pims, did 10 minutes of Duo but failed my lessons. Still counting this tough!!
1 person has voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4167 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 74 of 118
05 February 2014 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Wanted to post this excellent resource for Spanish podcasts (free with text and audio) for later use. The podcasts
are very long, at approx an hour. Need to see if I can split into several chucks:

http://www.spanishpodcast.org/podcasts/

I've imported this into LingQ but I'm transitioning away from using the LingQ app on my phone to listen to these
podcasts. The app takes too long to open (maybe because I have too much stuff in my playlists) but the big issue is
that it takes a long time to switch languages. The advantage to using the LingQ app is that the listening time gets
automatically recorded. But some of my Spanish podcasts take time away, actually come in as negative time! I've
asked technical support why, and we've trouble shooted and no answer. So I'm switching over to my itunes playlists
and going to manually enter my time in LingQ.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4671 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 75 of 118
06 February 2014 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
I have the same problem with the LingQ app on an android mobile. I think it is a buggy app. Need to be fixed.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5668 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 76 of 118
06 February 2014 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
It's hard to limit yourself to one language when you want to study three, but that's ok. It's hard to decide when you feel comfortable saying you "know" a language, anyway.

Good luck and if you have any questions, ask away. I look forward to following your progress this year, and hope i can join in with some French and German of my own. :)

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4167 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 77 of 118
06 February 2014 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Bjorn wrote:
I have the same problem with the LingQ app on an android mobile. I think it is a buggy app. Need
to be fixed.

Hey Bjorn, I've disliked the app. It has such potential though. I like the flashcards of the day but I simply can't
modify which flashcards of the day appear, for new cards I can't get the most important words, words from a
specific course/lesson, etc, it just randomly comes from my lingQ stash. I'm not quite sure how the SRS system
works. I just trust Anki too much. I'll just enter my time manually from here on out.

Do you like LingQ? Has it worked out for you?

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4167 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 78 of 118
06 February 2014 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
It's hard to limit yourself to one language when you want to study three, but that's ok. It's hard to
decide when you feel comfortable saying you "know" a language, anyway.

Good luck and if you have any questions, ask away. I look forward to following your progress this year, and hope i
can join in with some French and German of my own. :)

You've been very helpful sir..

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4167 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 79 of 118
06 February 2014 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
I've been watching the Steve Kaufman youtube vids on his progress with Korean in the 90 day challenge. I admire
that man, he simply knows what it takes to learn languages, hard work and consistency. He seems very motivated
too. The opportunities he finds to speak Korean in various restaurants, skype, etc, are excellent. He has definitely
inspired me. My fault is that I bounce around so much and don't focus or listen with the intent to absord. I also
don't get enough practice in. He's at 3 hrs/day for one language. I'm at 2 hours a day for 3. No worries, I'm just
going to simply meet my goals in 2014. I will quantify my goals in the next few weeks. Here is my progress
today:

German - met duo goals with about 20 minutes. I had a streak of over 50 days meeting my duo goals here and
that ended yesterday. Was kind of upset with that. No matter, I won't let it happen again. Got about 30 minutes
of Anki and listened to podcasts for about 15 minutes.

Spanish - met duo goals with about 10 minutes. Got in 18 minutes of Anki and 20-30 minutes of listening to
podcasts. Will consider starting the Learn Spanish Like Crazy here soon after I evaluate it.

French - Got into Duo but didn't met my goals. I am seriously behind. Perhaps Friday that will be a day devoted
purely to French, catching up on Duolingo and remotivating myself to learn this language.

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4671 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 80 of 118
07 February 2014 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
ryanl321:
I gave up Lingq on Android mobile,seems to be working on a mini iPad.

To early to say how effective Lingq is.
I subscribed to Lingq because of GEOaudio, I just love those travel letters.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version