Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 217 of 236
15 May 2015 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
This is just a short update. I had to read a 40 page long document in German at work this week, which is a pretty rare thing. Usually the documents I have to read are in bad English. It was a little challenging but also useful. I still dread the day I will have to speak German to my colleagues in Germany. Outside that one time I went there on a business trip, I haven't had to do that yet.

On a different subject, yesterday I was very happy to understand a full minute or more of Yoo Inna's show (of May 1st). The topic was radio and a listener had sent in a story that went something like this: "When I was young, a radio station had a show for apologizing. I had done something to my friend that I wanted to apologize for so I wrote to that show explaining the whole situation. The DJ read it and then called my friend (on-air) to apologize but the friend didn't accept the apology (he said 싫은데요). That was awkward." I probably missed some details of this story, like what he wanted to apologize for, but even just getting the main idea was very satisfying.
2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4421 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 218 of 236
19 May 2015 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Wow, now that must feel good! Even just a minute is quite the success! It's the first of many I'm sure! Being regular really is the key.

I'm pretty sure you've become better than me now :p I can't follow that much at all. Gotta get back into it!
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 219 of 236
10 June 2015 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
It's been a while since my last post. I've been doing more or less the same things, except I haven't worked on my Korean sentence deck for more than 6 weeks. Creating this deck is difficult work and I wanted to take a break from it. Doubtless I will come back to it when I'm ready.

In the meantime I've been working on my hanja and vocabulary decks. The hanja deck has 244 cards, 19 of them unseen, and I think I will finally share the deck this week or the next. As for the vocabulary deck, I didn't add new words for a few weeks to get the review count down, but I'm back to adding 6 new words a day now. It has 4592 total cards, 97 of them unseen. I also made one change in the deck options - I reduced the number of steps for lapsed cards from three to two. Now they are 45 and 195.

I've kept watching level 1 of Quick Korean and I switched from English subtitles to Korean subtitles recently. I didn't think I would learn anything new grammar-wise in level 1 but I have. If you add -네 to a person's name, it means the group of people this person belongs to, like the family or a group of friends. I think I've heard this many times in various situations but I never saw an explanation until now.

I'm also up to episode 63 of Let's Speak Korean. This is honestly somewhat boring since they talk in English, not Korean, but it should get less boring once the grammar gets more advanced.

And here is the most exciting news: I bought plane tickets for my trip to Korea! I'm going for two weeks in September. Now I have to figure out what I want to see so I can book places to stay at.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 220 of 236
10 June 2015 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Wow, great news! I guess you're probably going to spend some time in Seoul... Do you like hiking? If yes, Seoraksan might be great (but probably also a bit overrun in September). I loved it there, very impressive scenery. I also recommend Jeollanamdo - visit an island if you can. I stayed in Yeosu my first time in Korea and loved the scenery and the food. Boseong was also nice. I'm looking forward to your travel stories once you return :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 221 of 236
11 June 2015 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
I would suggest a visit to the old capital city Gyeongju (Kyongju), which still has a fair number of archeological remains within the city itself and some pretty monasteries in the neighbourhood. I arrived by train, but had to change in Taegu - no problem, everything went smoothly. I continued to Busan (Pusan), which also has fine attractions including monasteries, but it is more spread-out and less cosy.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 222 of 236
12 June 2015 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
I second Iversen about Gyeongju. Probably a must-see on a first visit. The famous temple Bulguksa is near Gyeongju - my second favorite temple. Number 1 is the temple in Gangnam, I just loved that contrast between high-rise buildings and the temple.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 223 of 236
14 June 2015 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both for the ideas, I'm still deciding on my itinerary. Also, I just discovered a complication - the Chuseok holiday is right in the middle of my trip, and apparently 75% Koreans leave the cities to go to their parents' homes, so train tickets are practically impossible to get. That's poor planning on my part. I'll probably have to stay in Seoul during that time.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 224 of 236
15 June 2015 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
Just saw the news! So excited for you <3

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version