Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 89 of 236
22 March 2014 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Warp3, thanks for the '샵' explanation, I had been wondering about that as well.

druckfehler wrote:
문자 번호는 #8910 한통에 50원이고 긴 건 백원. 콩이랑 플레이어 K랑 볼륨 공용 앱은 공짜입니다.

Thanks. But what does it mean? "긴 건" - a long message so you have to pay twice the price? But with some specific apps it's free of charge?

Quote:
I guess she uses the last 3 digits of the cellphones from which the messages are sent...

Ah. I had the impression that the messages were usually longer than text messages, I thought they were e-mails or even paper letters.

Quote:
After the jingle she says:
케이비에스 쿨에프엠 유인나의 볼륨을 높여요 함께 하고 계십니다.

This is what I wanted to know the most. I thought there would be some interesting expression there but it's just "함께 하고 계십니다" heh. I guess it means "we're doing it together"?

Quote:
And another EDIT: the -고 오다/가다 structure is quite commonly used. Here's an explanation. It doesn't have to mean that you're walking somewhere after doing something, in our case I guess it means something like "we'll be back after listening to..."

Thanks, that makes sense.

And again, thanks a lot to both of you. I didn't know the listeners were sending text messages at all but now that I do I listened to the December 30 podcast and I was able to recognize many of them. I'm still a little puzzled though about how it works, I mean the presents that she gives out. At first she reads from the list (with all kinds of 'sets' in there) and then, what? People write what they want to have and she just gives it away? Or is there some kind of task attached to it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 90 of 236
22 March 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Thanks. But what does it mean? "긴 건" - a long message so you have to pay
twice the price?

That would be my guess. Here in the US the limit on SMS (text) messages is shorter than
the limit on MMS (multimedia) messages, so perhaps if you send a long enough message to
that number it has to send as MMS and thus has a higher fee.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 91 of 236
24 March 2014 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Analyzing the podcast has been fun but now it's time for a little update. Last week I was focusing quite a lot on Korean grammar. In addition to listening to some TTMIK lessons from levels 8 and 9, I also finished chapter 18 of my textbook and got through all 123 slides of the intermediate lesson 6 on KLEAR website. The major focus of this lesson was on reported speech so now I have reviewed all those 는다고, 라고, 냐고 and 자고 constructions, with 는다면서요 thrown in for good measure. Also 아무리 + -도 and a couple others. I like these slides because they're condensed, they focus just on grammar and it's great for review.

Speaking of -는다면서요, I learned it only recently and I was amazed (again) at how Korean seems to have a separate ending for everything. In this case, if you take a verb, for example "to work", and add this ending to it, it means "I heard you're working. Is it true?" Two sentences in English and just one word in Korean. It's amazing and that's why I love it.

It's all nice and well to study grammar but I miss watching dramas so this week I'll spend some time checking out the new ones and see whether there's something I like. I'm thinking God's Gift, Bride of the Century, 13 Days. I'm still watching Wonderful Days but the subtitles are two weeks behind. Argh. Still, I like it too much to watch it without subtitles so I'll continue to wait for them. I plan on doing approximately the same thing I did with Good Doctor - watch half an episode (maybe two thirds) without subtitles and then the same (whole) episode with subtitles.

I will also spend some time on German this week, I haven't made much progress lately and I want to change that.

Edited by Evita on 24 March 2014 at 12:21pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 92 of 236
27 March 2014 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
It's been two years since I started studying Korean so it's time for some reflection.

Vocabulary: A year ago I set the goal to have at least 3500 words in my Anki deck. Reality - only 3140. But the good news is that I'm still working with Anki and I hope I can keep it up for another year. I'll set the goal for the next year to 4500 words. It's more achievable than this year's goal, I think.

Listening: It's hard to define specific goals for listening, except "to listen for x hours", and I didn't have a goal for that. My goal was to be able to make more sense of the Iyagi podcasts and I think I have mostly achieved it but not quite. My listening comprehension has improved a lot in the sense that I can recognize familiar words and grammar constructions even if they are spoken at natural speed. However, the number of words I recognize is not that high, maybe only half of those I have studied with Anki. This is the part where I had hoped to do better. I put it down to not reading enough and therefore not having much of a context for the words in Anki.

Grammar: I don't remember having a specific goal for grammar. If I had it I probably failed it. But the good news is that I reviewed the basic level grammar a lot by working on my Anki sentence deck so I feel confident that I know it well and would probably be able to use it correctly when writing, not just recognize it. But next year I should really put some focus on grammar. These will be my goals:

- Finish at least 4 textbooks (not counting My Korean which should already have been finished)
- Know all the grammar patterns from "Korean in Use" Intermediate passively and 50% of them also actively.
- Be 100% familiar with TTMIK's levels 5-9.

And what else is left... Speaking and writing wasn't a goal for me this year and won't be the next year either, except from maybe shadowing a little or reading grammar sentences out lout. I recently started following some ten celebrities from Korea on Twitter so hopefully I won't get lazy and will actually read some of their tweets. I generally don't use Twitter much though.

I debated whether to include a goal to read a book in Korean but in the end I decided against it. Since my first overall goal is to understand Korean dramas I will focus primarily on studying spoken text. And I also need to leave some time for other languages so a book will have to wait until the next year.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 93 of 236
30 March 2014 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I wanted to write a nice update tonight but then my new shiny phone fell down and cracked the screen. Now touching the screen doesn't work at all so basically I can't do anything with the phone. I'm so bummed I can't write about anything else now. It was so stupid of me. I just hope the repairs don't cost too much, I've read horror stories about 100 and even 200 dollars.

It's a good thing I keep my Anki decks more or less synchronized so I didn't lose many reviews today, I can continue doing them on the computer. But it's not what I'm used to doing so I don't know how I'll manage that. I hope they can fix my phone quickly, I'll try to find a service center tomorrow.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 94 of 236
31 March 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
And my fears came true - the repairing of the phone will cost me 190 euros. I almost started crying when I heard that. But what's done is done, you can bet I'm going to be a lot more careful with it from now on, also buy something like this. They always have them in dramas, they're smart.

Now here's my update. A week ago I said I would watch some dramas and study some German, and I did exactly that. Not so much the German part as the drama part LOL. But I did do some new Warum Nicht lessons from level 3 and read a couple of chapters from The Little Prince. I tried reading it almost intensively so I got tired quickly. And I don't find the book particularly interesting.

The best part of the week was the weekend because I finally started my Hanja project. I'm really excited about that. Eventually I'm going to publish my Hanja Anki deck as well so I spent a lot of time thinking about how best to set it up and which hanjas to start with. Here's how it looks now:

The small hanja at the top is the radical. I thought attaching labels to every field would make the screen too cluttered so I omitted most of them.

I don't know how fast I will go, I'm not setting any targets for myself yet. Since this is my first experience with Chinese characters, I don't know how good I will be at remembering them so I need to give it time to find the best pace for me.
4 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 95 of 236
01 April 2014 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
I'm looking forward to your Hanja deck! Looks great! :)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 96 of 236
01 April 2014 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
That's a nice layout on the Hanja cards. :)

RE: Smartphones: I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the first thing I did when I got it was to
buy an Otterbox Defender (in fact I bought it right in the phone store and left with the phone
already inside). My cousin had the same model of phone and dropped it recently which
pretty much destroyed the screen. Once he finally got the replacement phone from his
accidental damage insurance, it didn't take much for me to convince him to buy an Otterbox
of his own to keep that from happening again (at least so easily). I have a similar case
(Gumdrop DropTech) on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 since it was even pricier than the
smartphone (and the smartphone is company-owned, unlike the tablet that I bought with my
own money).

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version