learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 41 of 236
02 February 2014 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Nice to see you here, Kuji.

Well, I watched my first episode of Tatort today. I had never heard of it before but I kept coming across it all the time since starting to read the logs of other members of Team Spaß so I wanted to check it out. It's a shame the website only allows people to watch it after 8 o'clock (9 o'clock my time) since I prefer watching crime shows not quite so late at night. Anyway, I watched last week's episode about the swimming coach who was supposedly also a pedophile, and I quite liked it. I watched it with subtitles but I didn't like how the subtitles were different, usually shorter. My goal was to understand the spoken language and subtitles didn't always help with that.

I have never watched crime shows or read detective novels in German so my vocabulary was somewhat lacking but I didn't want to pause the show to look up unfamiliar words. I could understand 80-90% anyway. There were quite a few expressions I didn't know, for example something to do with dem Ruder, but I could guess from the context that it meant to get out of control. All in all, I think it would be useful to keep watching this show since I don't watch anything else in German at the moment.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 42 of 236
03 February 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm flying to Germany next Monday for a business trip. Therefore I need to study German even more.

If you want free e-books in many different languages (though not Korean sadly), check out bookza.org. It seems Russians are behind this project.

I'm tired today so that's it. Gute Nacht!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 43 of 236
07 February 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
I've been working on my German. I have almost 2000 words in my list now and I started to read The Little Prince on Wednesday. I'm about one third through it. I've read it once before but that was a long time ago when I was still a child so I don't remember much. Well, I'm reading the book extensively now only looking up the occasional word. In a few months I'll go through it again reading it intensively. I'll also be reading Erich Kästner's books, I loved them as a child.

I'm up to lesson 2x21 of Warum Nicht. Reviewing basic grammar in this way has been helpful so I intend to finish the course. Next week I will see how good my active German really is. I'll be in Darmstadt from Monday till Friday so hopefully it will give my German a bit of a boost. Then again, I'll probably be mostly surrounded by my Latvian colleagues anyway. We'll see.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 44 of 236
12 February 2014 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Last week I managed to finish both my current grammar book chapters (in German and in Korean) but mostly I was preparing for my trip and didn't have a lot of time (or enthusiasm) for studying.

Now it's my third day in Germany and I've had to use it very little - only when checking into the hotel, buying lunch and a little bit at work. As expected, I don't feel comfortable speaking German at all, it's difficult to get anything out of my mouth. Buying the first lunch was the most difficult. Checking into the hotel was easier because the Warum Nicht series take place at a hotel so I had had lots of practice. Then later I discovered that the TV in my room didn't work properly (the picture quality was very bad) so I knew I had to go to the reception and complain. I spent some minutes trying to compose what to say in German (something like "I habe ein Problem mit meinem TV, das Bild ist schlecht") and then I went there and said it, and they told me that I'd have to move to a different room because they can't fix it right away, and well, that was it. Quite easy.

It is a funny feeling though when people speak German to me and expect me to understand it. I hadn't been in a foreign country in a while so I had forgotten what it's like. It makes me want to live up to the challenge.

I had planned to do some studying in the airplane but I had forgotten how loud it is while flying and I didn't want to torture my ears by putting on something even louder so in the end I only did some Anki reviews.
2 persons have voted this message useful

xgraphicheart
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 4167 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Latvian*, English

Message 45 of 236
14 February 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
If you are looking for korean music k2nblog.com uploads new albums as they come out ^^
Soribada is a site like itunes. MelOn, Bugs!, Olleh, Naver are some other streaming
sites.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 46 of 236
15 February 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link and welcome to the forum! Nice to see another Latvian here.

I'm back home now. Yesterday, when I was traveling, was a good day for my Anki (but the backlog is still there) but not good for anything else studying-wise. Overall this trip confirmed what I already knew about my German and there were no huge surprises. It's too bad I didn't have a lot of opportunities to practice it.

My favorite Korean song at the moment is 겨울 고백 (Winter Confession) by various artists. It's not Christmas anymore but I want to learn the lyrics for this song anyway. So today I studied them and entered many new words into my Anki deck. The problem is that I couldn't find an English translation of the lyrics anywhere so I decided to try my hand at it. I know I probably have mistakes and omissions there so I'd be grateful for any corrections. Please!

첫눈이 내리던 날 나는
That day when the first snow was coming down
네게 전활 했지 oh~
I called you on the phone
가장 기쁜 소식은 다
Because all the best news
젤 먼저 들려주고 싶어서
I wanted to be the first one to tell you

내 목소린 태연했지만
My voice was calm
사실 난 떨렸어
But actually I was trembling
너를 만나서 해야 할 말이
I had to meet you and tell you something
내겐 너무 큰 진심이라서
?? Too big something??

하루종일 망설이다가
I hesitated all day long
창밖에 내린 새하얀 눈에
Then I saw the white snow outside the window
맘 설레여서
And my heart fluttered
너의 집 앞으로 난 달려갔지
So I went to your house

횡설수설 말돌리다가
I was babbling something
너와 내 눈이 마주친 순간
And out eyes met for a moment
그만 나도 모르게
I don't know how it happened either
입 맞추며 내 맘 전했지
?? I decided to kiss you??

벌써 일년이 된 것 같아
I think it's already been a year
너만 생각한 건
I've been thinking only about you
이런 내 맘 넌 몰랐겠지만
You probably didn't know how I felt
내겐 여전히 큰 진심이 있어
?? Something is still too big??

많이 생각 했니
Did you think a lot?
내 고백의 대답
The answer to my confession
오늘은 꼭 나 듣고 싶어
I definitely want to hear it today
my love 내 맘을 알아줘
My love please understand how I feel

(The rap part, too difficult)
아 아 목소리 테스트
배우가 된 듯 대사도 체크
시나리오도 모르는 여배우와 고백을 눈앞에 둔 남자의 만남

포근한 날씨 예감은 so good
배경은 너의 집 앞 완벽한 설정
대사만 치면 ‘컷’소리 나올 텐데
난 왜 고백씬을 키스씬으로 만들었나
자자 준비 action

그 동안 난 기다렸나 봐
I must have been waiting all this time
내 맘이 커진 그 시간 동안
My heart grew bigger during this time
난 간절하게
I earnestly
내 맘이 너에게 닿길 바랬어
Hoped my heart touched you

오늘도 난 여기 서있어
I'm standing here today
우리 첨 만난 그 거리에서
On the street where we met for the first time
수많은 사람 속에
Among many people
니가 멀리 보여
I see you far away
내게 걸어오는 너
You're walking towards me

나를 보며 웃는 너
You're looking at me and smiling

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 47 of 236
15 February 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
내겐 너무 큰 진심이라서
?? Too big something??

진심(眞心) = one's true heart, one's true feelings

My guess would be something like "because my feelings for you were so strong"

Quote:

입 맞추며 내 맘 전했지
?? I decided to kiss you??

전하다 = to tell (someone something), to relay (a message), etc. Several examples in
the dictionary seem to imply that the past tense can be used similar to the English "said
{speaker}".

My guess: "While our lips met, my heart said" (I'm assuming the section that follows is
supposed to be *what* the heart said)

Here is a similar example from Daum that makes me think I'm at least on the right track:

"I feel happy because I'm unique," he said with a big smile.
"전 제가 특별해서 행복합니다."라고 그가 활짝 웃으며 전했습니다.

EDIT: Based on druckfehler's post, I would like to correct my guess to: "While our lips
met, I told you my heart."

Quote:

내겐 여전히 큰 진심이 있어
?? Something is still too big??

Based on my shot at the previous similar line: "The feelings I have for you are as strong
as ever."

Edited by Warp3 on 16 February 2014 at 2:35pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 48 of 236
16 February 2014 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:

너를 만나서 해야 할 말이
내겐 너무 큰 진심이라서
Because the thing I had to say when I met you was too big of a sincere feeling for me.
(I tried to be as literal as possible. Warp3's translation sounds far more natural, though.)

하루종일 망설이다가
창밖에 내린 새하얀 눈에
맘 설레여서
너의 집 앞으로 난 달려갔지
After hesitating all day long, my heart fluttered at the white snowfall outside the window, so I went running to your house.

입 맞추며 내 맘 전했지
I kissed you and showed you my heart / I showed you my heart by kissing you
-> I'm pretty sure that 마음을 전하다 means to show someone your heart/tell someone your feelings.

아 아 목소리 테스트
Ah, ah, testing my voice (I'd think)
배우가 된 듯 대사도 체크
As if I had become an actor, I check my lines
시나리오도 모르는 여배우와 고백을 눈앞에 둔 남자의 만남
The meeting of the actress who doesn't even know the scenario/script and the man facing his confession

포근한 날씨 예감은 so good
Mild/cozy weather premonition so good?
배경은 너의 집 앞 완벽한 설정
The background in front of your house, the perfect set
대사만 치면 ‘컷’소리 나올 텐데
???
난 왜 고백씬을 키스씬으로 만들었나
Why did I turn the confession scene into a kiss scene?
자자 준비 action
Aaand... ready, action!

Edited by druckfehler on 16 February 2014 at 1:31pm

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version