Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 225 of 236
15 June 2015 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Chuseok could be interesting, though. I would love to celebrate it. Maybe there's some kind of host family program over Chuseok where you can join a family celebration? Just an idea.

And reading about train tickets - in Korea I thought taking the bus was a lot more comfortable (and cheaper), so maybe that's an option as well. They have some buses with very big, comfy seats, actually you'd have more space on the bus than on the train :D
But over Chuseok, there will probably, be no bus tickets left either and the roads will be horror...

But there's enough to see in Seoul for a week or 2, so it probably won't be too bad if you're stuck there over the holiday ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 226 of 236
19 June 2015 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
The big day is here! I've published my Hanja deck. It's just the beginning, of course, but it's nice to finally have it done.
2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4391 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 227 of 236
21 June 2015 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
You've still got a bit of time left, but that's great news that you'll go to Korea! It's gonna be your first time isn't ? Then it'll be time to make use of all that hard work you've put
in Korean ;)

I agree for Chuseok, could be good but I'd probably stay in Seoul at that time because the roads really are crowded. I've seen pictures and it's a mess. Both buses and trains are usually
fully booked months beforehand. If you go to a small village or island though, that could be doable and pretty nice :)

Also, congrats on your hanja deck! Let's see what you've got for us!

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 228 of 236
26 June 2015 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
The way I'm thinking right now, I will stay 1 night in Seoul, then 1 night in Sokcho (near Seoraksan), then 5 nights in Seoul (during Chuseok), then 4 nights in Gyeongju, then 2 in Seoul again. Since Chuseok is in the middle of it, this is the best schedule I could come up with. I'd like to visit Andong as well but probably won't stay the night there. Or maybe one... We'll see.

What I do know is that I will leave Busan and Jeju Island for the next time. I don't want to make quick 1-2 day trips to big cities, I want to stay for a while in each of them and enjoy them properly.

I have also picked up my Korean studies a little bit. I finished the first level of Quick Korean and I'm up to episode 79 of Let's Speak Korean. I've also restarted working on my sentence deck and I'm still in chapter 2 of my Russian textbook. I wanted to finish it by September but obviously that is not going to happen. It's better to not make any goals.

I have also been working on adding hanja to my vocabulary deck. I find that this is best done at work when I have some free time because at home I have more interesting things to do. I've gone through more than 500 notes already but there's still so much left. I wonder what the percentage of Chinese-origin words in my deck will turn out to be. I knew that some 하다 verbs like 따뜻하다, 똑똑하다 are not of Chinese origin, but I was surprised to see that 걱정하다 and 조용하다 belong to this group as well.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 229 of 236
29 June 2015 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
I'm suddenly having lots of enthusiasm to study Korean. I've finished chapter 2 of my textbook and I've watched the first four videos of Quick Korean level 2. These videos are the first time I've tried to intensively listen to Korean for any length of time so it can be draining but it's also really useful. Level 2 has more complex example sentences so I have to concentrate in order to keep up. I pause often to read the (Korean) subtitles or look up words or add them to Anki.

I have a question though. Here's a sentence from Naver: 그는 나에게 이름, 나이, 주소 등을 물었다. What does '등' mean here?

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 230 of 236
29 June 2015 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
등 means etc.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 231 of 236
29 June 2015 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Ah, thanks. Somehow I didn't see this meaning in the dictionary when I checked it.

By the way, I'm still listening to Yoo Inna's show regularly. My comprehension is slowly improving, but I still can't process phone numbers as quickly as I should, so I've started practicing saying the numbers on car plates that I see during the day. Maybe that will help.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 232 of 236
30 June 2015 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
your itinerary sounds good! I also like to stay in places a little longer - and I think it wouldn't make sense to stay in Seoul for less time :) I haven't seen Busan or Jejudo yet. Maybe next time ;) But I don't know when that will be...

Regarding Sokcho and Seoraksan, - if you're mainly interested in going to Seoraksan I'd say find an accomodation nearer to the park, if possible. It does take some time to get there (about an hour or 1 1/2 if I remember correctly). Sokcho also looked nice (though not spectacular). It probhably depends on whether you want to hike in Seoraksan or maybe just take the cable car and a walk. I'd recommend both. Cheonbuldong Valley is breathtaking for a hike (and if that route seems to long I recommend hiking Geumganggul - great views and if you don't dislike heights going up to the cave is an interesting expierience).
Regarding accommodation there's a youth hostel relatively near the park (two bus stops I think) as well as a hotel. The motel recommended by the tourist info is not that great... old and not very clean :D

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version