Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 33 of 236
27 January 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
I also liked the KLEC books, but found them too late, when they were already too easy.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 34 of 236
27 January 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
I have no idea what 멜론 is (I'm guessing the Korean version of Billboard?) but today I found the 멜론 top 100 charts on Bitsnoop. That is so awesome! All my music needs have been taken care of now. No more recording songs on the radio and looking up the names, now I'll have my pick of the songs. This is a huge discovery for me and a big step towards getting more acquainted with the Korean pop music.

On a completely different subject, I was browsing the Goethe Institute website today again and thinking about the C1 exam and other related stuff. The exam takes place twice a year, in June and in January. In the end I decided that I should aim to be ready for C1 next January. June would be doable if I didn't have Korean but I do have Korean and I'm not willing to stop studying it so I'll go more slowly with German. My goal is to do all the German studying I need to do, I mean to do it all this year and then possibly take the exam in January and be confident that I don't need to study it anymore (I don't need C2). I may apply for the Goethe Institute German classes in autumn if I think I need it, or I may just use their library to get some German books or other materials.

It feels good now that I have set a goal for my German and a timeline. I may modify the goal slightly if I go to the institute and they tell me "no, we won't accept you in the C1 class, your level is not good enough" because my real goal is not an abstract C1, it's to be able to freely communicate with my colleagues in Germany. I'm certain that this goal is achievable in one year so I should just get down and do it, no reason to postpone it. I'll be quite disappointed in myself if I become lazy or distracted and don't achieve this goal.

Edited by Evita on 27 January 2014 at 9:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 35 of 236
28 January 2014 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
http://www.melon.com
Wikipedia

Melon's chart is definitely one of the big name music charts in Korea. I'd gotten the
impression they were a music download service as well, but wasn't positive until I found
the Wikipedia link above.

EDIT: Had to edit the second link (repeatedly) since the forum software apparently strips
parentheses from URLs, so I had to change them into HTML character codes instead, and
it keeps breaking the URL into two lines...{sigh}

Edited by Warp3 on 28 January 2014 at 3:32am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5015 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 36 of 236
28 January 2014 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm not happy with the forum software either, but parenthesis are not valid URL characters.

Only a subset of the ASCII characters can be used, all others have to be encoded as '%' plus their hexadecimal representations, which in turn depend on character encoding, i.e. %80 might mean a Ç in one encoding and a Russian A in another.

When you type anything in the URL bar (of a modern browser) that supposedly contains any such characters, the browser will encode that for you for transmission. For aesthetic reasons, though, it probably won't change what you type into what it sends. That may mislead users to believe that something like "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melon_(online_music_service)" is a valid URL when it isn't.

Couldn't we just type links without pre-encoding the characters and have the forum software do for us what modern browsers do? Yes, we can dream, can't we?

That's an idea for another user script, though...

BTW, apparently your links are OK now...

Edited by mrwarper on 28 January 2014 at 7:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 37 of 236
28 January 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
I have long given up any hope that this forum's software will get updated someday so I just try to live with it. It's inconvenient sometimes but it's just the way it is. The awesome people one can meet here outweigh any technical troubles in my opinion. And let's end it here.

On topic, talking about Hanja in tarvo's log reminded me that I had wanted to check out some Hanja learning apps but it was pretty impossible to do with my old phone. So today I tried out three of them and I like this one the best. It can't be used as an SRS program and it has no English so it's not very useful for me to study the meanings of the characters but it allows me to practice drawing them and I hope that this activity will help me later to memorize these characters. I'll also be paying attention to the stroke order and try to figure out the common patterns.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 38 of 236
31 January 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
It seems many teams have monthly challenges this year. I didn't write anything for Korean because I already did it in December and I didn't want to do it again. For German, well, it's not really a challenge but I studied the lyrics for a song I didn't know before, "Tage wie diese" by Die Toten Hosen. There was not a lot of new vocabulary but I hadn't heard the expression "sich den Weg bahnen" before.

One goal I had for January was to have 2000 words in my list. I managed only about 1860 but it's still a lot of progress so I'm happy about it. At the end of February I'd like to have at least 2300 words.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6341 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 39 of 236
01 February 2014 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Today was a Korean-heavy day because it was my last day on Harukorean. I finished the second level sentence building lessons and copied some interesting sentences for later studying. For example:

배고프다고 = (Just) because they are hungry

This looks like indirect speech but has a different emphasis. Hmm, I'm keeping it for later. I've decided that once I finish my textbook I'll get back to Elementary Korean and then Continuing Korean, and then I'll tackle the three 원광 books in Russian. That should last me till the end of the year. (I'm being very optimistic, of course. The Russian books will be challenging, especially the third one, so I probably won't finish them all this year.)

And by the way: can you guess what the most useful thing I've learned from Yoo Inna's podcasts has been? It's how to say the current date. Of course I've studied it before but you need a lot of practice before you can recognize the date when it's spoken in natural speed. She says the date in each podcast so I'm finally getting this practice. Good.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4636 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 40 of 236
02 February 2014 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
The date is better than nothing, I always say.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version