Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4017 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 89 of 232
01 February 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Hi Jeffers, I am doing the 6WC this time as well. I had intended to use this for an intense grammar review and textbook exercises, but unfortunately will not find the time to do this as intensely as I would have loved to. I will still participate, though - if it motivates me to do ten minutes more than I would have done without, I have already won! I will only log the "active" learning time, not counting listening or reading.

All the best for your goals!

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 90 of 232
01 February 2014 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Suzie wrote:
Hi Jeffers, I am doing the 6WC this time as well. I had intended to use this for an intense grammar review and textbook exercises, but unfortunately will not find the time to do this as intensely as I would have loved to. I will still participate, though - if it motivates me to do ten minutes more than I would have done without, I have already won! I will only log the "active" learning time, not counting listening or reading.

All the best for your goals!

I think I can understand why you would only log active learning time, but I would encourage you to think again about not counting listening and reading activities. Seeing your numbers go up is a motivation to keep doing more of both! At least for simple minds like mine. ;)

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4017 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 91 of 232
01 February 2014 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Oh yeah, I completely agree, Jeffers! And I am counting that time anyway, for me, long-term. But I have done a lot of reading and listening so far and just would like to force myself to focus on the brain-melting part right now, to push me out of my comfort zone. It's an experiment, we'll see how things go^^

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4997 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 92 of 232
03 February 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Are Suzie and Jeffers the only two Deuxième members taking part in the Six Week Challenge?

Team Deuxìeme:

Might anyone be interested in a little February mini-challenge of our own? Trawling through some of
the
other team threads, and from last year's Pax team, here are some ideas (in no particular order):

A: "Get addicted: aim to do 30 hours of target language study this month, or study every day for an #
of minutes that you can decide for yourself" (from the Rare Languages team, as a tie-in to the 6WC.)

B: Post a song (or more). Choose one/ all of the options: translate it, learn the lyrics (or only one verse if
you're a beginner). (From the Russian team, and from last year's Pax.)

C: Food/ recipes: One/more options: post a recipe, either in French or English, and translate it. Prepare the
dish, and post picture. (inspired by Enrdbrow's log, and last year's Pax.)

D: Word of the Week: Share a new/favourite word/phrase/idiom each week: . it can be a quirky, difficult,
beautiful, amusing, or unusual word which you found ; or something that you learned a long time ago, and are
delighted to unexpectedly come across now; or something that has an interesting story or usage behind it.   
Or perhaps it could be a word which you have an interesting story about - perhaps a "false friend"
which you used incorrrectly, to your later embarrasment? (Inspired by the Chinese team, which had a
suggestion for writing about a hanzi character.)

February's a short month, and we're a little late starting, so if anyone's interested in any of the above, let us
know soon...! I won't hold votes for this <smile> . If no one's interested, the ideas can certainly keep till the
following months...

I myself favour Option D. It should be "doable" for all levels of learners; isn't difficult to actually do; - plus, it'll
benefit the rest of the team - we'll expand our vocabularies!

And one favour to ask of you folks posting on the team thread: if you're posting in French, would
you mind including an English translation as well? - This'll help the team members (and visitors to the
log) whose French is at a lower level. Or alternatively, a short English summary of whatever discussion you
might have in French? It's not a biggie, but would help to keep the thread welcoming; being faced with posts
which one might not understand can be a tad intimidating.

Edited by songlines on 03 February 2014 at 6:11pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3909 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 93 of 232
03 February 2014 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
My suggestions:

Anyone could chose 1+ of those below:

For intermediate/adv:

1. Read a book with at least 200 pages and post what it's talk about (few lines).

2. Write a text starting with If I were a <profession> I would... one could chose any
profession, including unrealistic, improbable etc.

3. Chose an object, call someone and describe it by skype without saying the name. The
other person should then come here and write the object's name in English.

For beginners:

1. Read a news from a newspaper and explain it here in English.

2. Conjugate a list of 30 verbs (1 per day) in Indicatif: Présent, Passé composé,
Imparfait, Futur proche (aller + verbe) et Futur simple

What do you think?

Edited by Cristianoo on 03 February 2014 at 7:01pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 94 of 232
03 February 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
I like the idea of posting a song, and the word of the week idea. I already do at least 30 hours most months. :)

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4677 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 95 of 232
03 February 2014 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
I love the idea of a mini-challenge.

I tend to burn out on the constant timing & twittering that you need to do for the 6-week
challenges.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5264 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 96 of 232
03 February 2014 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
okidoki,

I don't really totally understand the concept of the 6wc when already doing the TAC, thus
I will simply try to do more hours of study than I did in January, Feb has less days and
this will keep me on my toes as i've started Feb a little slow :) Jan I did 101hrs study
of my courses, Feb i'm aiming to better that, i'm going to attempt to reach 140 hrs in
Feb, but know this is not likely to happen but i'll try. Getting somewhere between the
101 for Jan and the rediculous (140) would be a pretty decent accomplishment for me.

PM

This discussion contains 232 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version