88 messages over 11 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 81 of 88
12 March 2015 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
My total time is the same as normal but the 6WC encourages me to focus on a specific language more than I would otherwise. If I make a poor choice it can also be frustrating though, like with Romanian and Czech last year.
1 person has voted this message useful

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4190 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French, Esperanto

Message 82 of 88
12 March 2015 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
In terms of hours spent, I think I did well...this last week I got a little distracted with Esperanto, but I think I've made very good progress with my target language (German)...In fact I'm really pleased.

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4426 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 83 of 88
12 March 2015 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
I think I've done very well. I lost my way for a week or two and studied very little because I felt I
needed a break, but have focused heavily in the last two weeks. I've made lots of improvement. I just
need to do more speaking.
Even with all the hours I've managed to log, I really haven't been sitting down for large chunks of time
and studying. Most of my time logged is just me doing things on public transport or whatever it may
be, so I do think it is sustainable.

Once the challenge is over, however, I will be taking a little break I think. I'll keep doing the bare
minimum but I'm going to have a little rest. Doing that for a while in the challenge actually really
helped me stay motivated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

csidler
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
chadsidler.com
Joined 4625 days ago

51 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 84 of 88
13 March 2015 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Not to be that person, but... I wondered how some people could already have
logged ~27 hours of study in the first three days of the challenge. That would mean that of these first
three days, this person has spent *over a full day* studying languages non-stop. Furthermore, I
checked the tags that they've logged, and TV accounted for about 14 hours of the total time. I don't
object to TV as a study method, but I do find it very hard to believe that someone could have
realistically already spent 26 hours (because of the 6WC convention of adjusting time spent watching
TV/movies down to 50% of the actual time) just watching TV, PLUS an additional 13 hours of other
language study -- a total of ~39 hours. This would mean that out of the ~3 days (~72 hours) that the
challenge has been ongoing, this person has already spent nearly two full days studying non-stop. I
wonder, since the person is an HTLAL member, if they could confirm (if they have time!) that this is
indeed what they have been doing.

Sorry, I don't mean to be confrontational. I just want to make sure that the challenge is fair for
everyone, and I'm legitimately curious how you manage to squeeze in that much study time!

I'm guessing your comments were referring to me. I've just moved to Europe, not working, living
alone, and French is one of the languages I need for future work etc.

When you find a series like 24, It is very easy to get into it and watch a whole lot of episodes.

And when it is snowing outside.. and you don't have any commitments in the short-medium term
except to improve your languages.. then it's very easy to spend your time on it. much better than
wasting it on Facebook!

Straya wrote:
I dont want to be rude to @csidler, but mate if you can sit and listen to 220 minutes
of
german with 100% of focus, and doing no other activity, ill eat my own hat, seriously.

while this is completely personally regulated, i feel some are rather liberal with their
marking of hours

PS It was I, who logged 5000 minutes of french, as an experiment because i want sure if
you could put in whatever you want. Personally i think most people arent honest with
their markings but hey thats on them, not like you win a prize anyway :) Im glad
people are pay attention though

I remember seeing that person log the 5,000 minutes and thought wtf surely it must be a mistake. but
meh. At the end of the day if you are lie about what you do then you are only cheating yourself. The
whole point of this is to dedicate time to the language so that you can improve yourself!

My German is at a C1 level so I have no issue listening/watching things in German I enjoy. That
becomes a bit of a danger though, because it's very easy to do something in German rather than
work on the target language.

I also don't log in any of my personal encounters/drinking/conversations in German etc. Only what I
do alone.

epictetus
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3684 days ago

54 posts - 87 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 85 of 88
15 March 2015 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
I have tracked a total of 230 hours in Spanish. 150 of those are from one-on-one instruction and the remainder are from flashcards,
reading (fiction, newspapers, magazines), verb drills, grammar exercises, and writing commentaries on articles.

I have not included hours spent watching TV/films, listening to podcasts, casual conversation with my host family (or people in the
countryside or on buses) nor have I counted the general din of Spanish in the street, on the radio, at football games, and so on. I
wouldn't know how to account for it all.

I suspect that puts me in the lead for target language hours?

Arguably, many of my 'school hours' were purely conversational but with a teacher/tutor it should count 100% on account of the
constant correction, the focus on particular structures, and so on.

I'm impressed with how much people were able to do without the advantages and support I had. Well done to all :)

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4136 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 86 of 88
15 March 2015 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Last day, and I find out I was overtaken by Sarnek, who posted a whooping 1260 minutes (or 21 hours) in German. I guess they are collective study hours because s/he doesn't post often... but man, what a way to get overtaken on the last lap.

However, I'm glad this time I actually made it to the goal (last time I dropped out). In my heart of hearts I had hoped to finish in the top ten, but I guess that's a goal for the next 6WC. I'm really satisfied with the hours I put in for my target language, I finished the basics on Duolingo and did A LOT of hours on Italki... and thanks to all that I really felt a change between the beginning and now.

Anyway, time to wind down, modify strategies and keep going. Congratulations to everyone who finished the challenge!

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 87 of 88
15 March 2015 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
I finished 5th with 10056 minutes (167h36), which averages 3h59 per day. That's my worst score ever. I studied less because:

* I'm already very pleased with my levels, and there isn't much I am eager to improve in. (good thing)
* For things I am eager to improve, I lack the materials, so I just wait. (bad thing)
* It was obvious I couldn't win Csidler and Serpent, so I settled for 3rd to 5th place and worked accordingly. (poor sportsmanship, bad thing)
* I spent more time cooking, walking and exercising. (acting more like a normal person, good thing)

During the Challenge, I learned and Memrised 922 new words extracted from novels and other reading material, and Memrised a few hundred from other people's decks. Good thing :)

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3791 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 88 of 88
16 March 2015 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
I finished right behind at 6th. I was running 10th to 13th throughout most of the challenge, so 6th was a surprise.

The challenge helped me mostly finish my basic text and grammar and now I'm going back to fill in the gaps and make sure I truly know the basics.

I'm assuming the next one starts in May?

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version