https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6461 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 1 of 54
04 March 2007 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
I would like to know if you use some sistematic approach to learn languages with DVD movies.It seems a good method for learning real native speech and conversations.

With the book+unabridged audiobook method, it seems very insteresting.

I read this method:

1-Watch the movie in your own language with captions in your target language.

2-Watch the movie in your target language with captions in your own language

3-Watch movie with audio and captions in your target language.

4-Watch movie only with audio in your target language.

I have read people who record the audio with audacity and after the listen the movie with his mp3 reproductor.

Do you know any good method?
1 person has voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6324 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 54
04 March 2007 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
What would be great is if you could watch the movie with accurate subtitles. For this I think you would need a multisystem TV and a DVD player because most region 1 DVDs don't have this option. I do have one DVD, a Soviet film called "Come and See", that has a somewhere around 5 different language tracks and over 10 different subtitles. I've yet to examine the accuracy between the subtitles and language tracks.

Not sure how it is over in Spain, but in the States it is almost impossible to find a multisystem TV and DVD player at a department store.

Just out of curiosity, what is the copyright law for material produced in the Soviet Union? The movie "Come and See" is distributed through Kino Video, but I wonder if it would be legal to record the audio and post it on the internet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6890 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 3 of 54
04 March 2007 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Do you know any good method?

That method seems quite detailed to me! I'm not one to think it out that much and just watch a film in another language.

There's relatively cheap DVD decoding software out there that does away with the region restrictions for a computer I might add. AnyDVD is one of them. Also, region-free and multi-zone DVD players are easily available online if they're not in a store.

I might add that the rules of this site wouldn't allow the posting of copyrighted material.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6461 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 4 of 54
05 March 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
In Spain we usually have movies with Spanish and english audio and captions. It is frequent to find with french, italian and German. We are DVD region 2.

I have found this thread:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=1593&PN=0&TPN=1

badger2
Finland
Joined 6397 days ago

156 posts - 156 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 5 of 54
07 March 2007 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
In Spain we usually have movies with Spanish and english audio and captions. It is frequent to find with french, italian and German. We are DVD region 2.

I have found this thread:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=1593&PN=0&TPN=1

I just wanted to commend you on your English. When I read your post, the flow came across as "native speaker".

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6461 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 6 of 54
08 March 2007 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
badger2 wrote:
I just wanted to commend you on your English. When I read your post, the flow came across as "native speaker".

Thank you, but I am far from fluency.

What I am doing right now is:

1-Watch the movie in my own language with captions in target language.

2-Watch movie with audio and captions in the target language.

3-The second step more slowly, writing unknown words,checking dictionary or watching again tracks with audio in target language and captions in may own language to understand slang or difficult expresions.

4-Watch movie only with audio in your target language (one or more times).

Doing this I am learning dialogs by rote.

What do you think about this approach?

curon
Bilingual Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6675 days ago

31 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh*, German, Italian, French

Message 7 of 54
08 March 2007 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
I have done this with French and Italian. But I took it a step further and recorded the dialogues onto mp3. I have done about 70 films and I have found it hugely beneficial. The amount of vocabulary you pick up is enormous. You learn the vocab in context, and so when you come across the word again, you remember the scene, the actors involved. Somehow this stays in your mind for a much longer time than by using conventional methods. Good luck with the method. I think you are on the right track

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6461 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 8 of 54
08 March 2007 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
curon wrote:
I have done this with French and Italian. But I took it a step further and recorded the dialogues onto mp3. I have done about 70 films and I have found it hugely beneficial. The amount of vocabulary you pick up is enormous. You learn the vocab in context, and so when you come across the word again, you remember the scene, the actors involved. Somehow this stays in your mind for a much longer time than by using conventional methods. Good luck with the method. I think you are on the right track

Great! 70 films are a lot. How long did you need to watch those films? It seems I need a week every film.

And how do you use the mp3 recorded dialogues? Do you edit and listen only the dialogues or you listen all the audio film without editing it? How do you work that?

Thank you.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version