Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Eric’s Mandarin Log (see post 1 for course list)

Tags: Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
141 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 17 18 Next >>
TRENDY
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4979 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 73 of 141
07 June 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric, i`ve seen that you got the Modern Mandarin Chinese grammar, i am considering buying it since i read some rave reviews about it.
What do you make of it?
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6196 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 74 of 141
07 June 2011 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
I haven't used it yet, Trendy, so I don't know. I bought it because I liked the Italian version of the book.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5776 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 75 of 141
07 June 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
For the first half of level 1, there are about four and half minutes of dialog audio.

If you are interested, I can give you the number of dialog/summary minutes in levels 3-6 as well as the number of individual dialogs/summaries. It will probably be several months before I buy level 7.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6196 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 76 of 141
07 June 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, that would be helpful.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5776 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 77 of 141
08 June 2011 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
These are the regular dialogs/summaries minutes for CLO for levels 3 to 6. The extra audio material is not presented in these numbers.

CLO     Repeat/Slow Regular Speed     # Dialogs/
Level     Minutes        Minutes      ;  ;  Summaries
3        53.3        19.5         &n bsp;   39
4        41.1        19.1         &n bsp;   25
5        33         &nbs p;22.4          &n bsp;      22
6        59.4        38.5         &n bsp;   30

Interestingly enough, the audios have no beginning/end music nor announcement that it's CLO. I'm used to PopUpChinese and ChinesePod dialog only audios identifying the material as theirs.

I can't seem to get rid of the extra characters...hopefully it's still readable.

Edited by Snowflake on 09 June 2011 at 5:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6196 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 141
09 June 2011 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Snowflake. The dialog audio really ramps up in level 6. For levels 1 through 6 there is about 110 minutes of audio, based on 10 minutes of audio in level 1, which I am still editing. That's not bad.

Do they use the same two native speakers throughout?

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6196 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 79 of 141
09 June 2011 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
I'm completely stoked because I found a resource that may possess extreme awesomeness...

As I've written above, I've been rooting around for a book to follow up on Assimil. I ruled out TY Chinese quickly and thought the Colloquial Chinese by Qian was good enough, but I was really that excited by it. It's kinda typical of the current courses out there. A lot of silly exercises and audio with a lot of English in it. I have read that the old Colloquial Chinese course by Ping-cheng T'ung and David E. Pollard is pretty nice. You can see a preview here:

Colloquial Chinese by Ping-cheng T'ung and David E. Pollard

It looks like it has a similar Assimil dual text approach, and the format looks quite nice, something that I really value. There also seems to be a lot more listening drills than Assimil and a more structured grammar approach. Plus, it's supposed to be pretty funny to boot. Seems like a great book. You can even get copies for a reasonable price.

The only problem as usual for these old books is the audio. Amazon sells a cassette for about $30, but I wasn't sure how I was going to digitalize it. I bought the text anyway figuring I would still get some use out of it.

The lack of audio was still bugging me though so after some googling to see whether it was available somewhere, I found this page from Columbia University:

Columbia University.

The audio for the book?! But I don't think it is. I think Columbia recorded the dialogs and exercises from the books themselves because there is over 5 hours of audio, all in Chinese! The quality is also really good.

To summarize: There is a relatively cheap looking book out there *with audio* that may be a very nice follow up or substitute to Assimil. We shall see...

Edited by newyorkeric on 09 June 2011 at 9:33am

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5776 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 80 of 141
09 June 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
Thanks, Snowflake. The dialog audio really ramps up in level 6. For levels 1 through 6 there is about 110 minutes of audio, based on 10 minutes of audio in level 1, which I am still editing. That's not bad.

Yup. Even though there is not a 1:1 ratio of separate audios to lessons, I've been pretty happy with the amount of audio, vocabulary and material covered. There's been enough times where the material included things which I thought wouldn't be needed anytime soon and then overheard those terms used in conversation.

newyorkeric wrote:
Do they use the same two native speakers throughout?

The regular speed separate audios mostly feature Kirin and Raphael. There are a few other native speaker voices used here and there. The slow/repeat material so far has only Kirin's voice.

Some other things...as the levels progress the silent gaps in the repeat/slow material give way to very brief pauses. And summaries are introduced which have more complex sentences. The summaries are like mini lectures. I like having the dialogs with more casual language and the separate summaries.

Edited by Snowflake on 10 June 2011 at 4:37pm

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version