Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Eric’s Mandarin Log (see post 1 for course list)

Tags: Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
141 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 17 18 Next >>

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 89 of 141
08 July 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! Yes, I'm from NY and am going to visit there and then follow the retirees down to Florida.

The jet lag can be terrible if you don't time your sleep right. I'm going to try some sleeping pills this trip. Lucky you're studying European languages! The flight is at lot more enjoyable from the east coast.
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 90 of 141
01 September 2011 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
I haven't posted in my log for a while though I'm still trying to fit in as much studying as I can. I'm up to chapter 7 of Colloquial Chinese. I have also decided to learn some characters. I've memorized the first 10 chapters of the Matthews and Matthews book, 172 characters out of 800 plus in the book. Their approach really suits me, and I feel like I will be able to finish the book by the end of the year.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 91 of 141
10 September 2011 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Been busy with work lately. Up to 192 characters.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 92 of 141
21 September 2011 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
Continuing on with the characters. I'm been thinking about something Vlad has written. He said (paraphrasing) that you should learn characters after learning the meaning and the pronunciation of the word. I think this makes a lot of sense based on my experiences these past few weeks. I find that it is very easy to remember characters of words that I already know. Otherwise, it is quite difficult to learn randomly. In this case, you need to learn the character itself, the meaning, and the pronunciation. I may start skipping words I don't know and come back to them as I learn them from other contexts.
2 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 93 of 141
04 October 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Up to about 300 characters, about 1/3 through the book. I've spent less time on Colloquial Chinese. I'll probably not dedicate much time to it until I finish the Mathews' book. I'm considering using the character version of Colloquial Chinese when I return to it.

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6394 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 94 of 141
04 October 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Eric,

if you keep up learning characters the way I've been trying to (after you've learned how
to say them), if you can, please let me know how you've been doing and what your
retention rate was.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 95 of 141
05 February 2012 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
It's been awhile since I updated this log. I got a bit burned out on SRSing and characters and took a break. Then I used a month to review and to work through two more chapters. So now I've completed half the chapters of the book (20) and have about 400 characters in Pleco.

I think now I am going to try to mix in another course to try to keep from burning out again, maybe Pimsleur or something else.

Vlad, I am finding that the characters of words I know are for sure sticking in my brain better, though this may also be due to the fact that I can recognize them when I see them on TV. I am also mixing in some "unassociated" characters. I have to spend more time on them, but my recall is still not too bad.

Edited by newyorkeric on 05 February 2012 at 5:29am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 96 of 141
05 February 2012 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
I think now I am going to try to mix in another course to try to keep from burning out again, maybe Pimsleur or something else.

In my opion you have chosen the right solution to the problem. I also work with two textbooks and I alternate them in my study. When I have reached a certain dead point I change textbooks and continue with the other one until I go further with the first one. The material which you use should be varying because otherwise the cramming gets boaring and that includes the risk of burning out.

Fasulye

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version