Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Eric’s Mandarin Log (see post 1 for course list)

Tags: Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
141 messages over 18 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 17 18 Next >>

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 141
10 December 2010 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
How about the TV? It's very good for the languages' learning in my opinion: you can watch the Chinese TV with subtitles (it's possible in English, or only in Chinese for the deafs?) Anyway, your wife can watch the programme in Mandarin therefore it's okay I think.

I get to watch a lot of subtitled tv here. Some shows even have both Chinese and English subtitles (occasionally Malay, too.). It hasn't helped my listening very much because actual conversational speed is way beyond my abilities right now but it is great for learning and maintaining characters.

Kuikentje wrote:
You better not practise the language with your son because he would learn your mistakes, and it's better he learn English. Good luck from Kuikentje.

No problem here. He interacts with a native Chinese speaker all day (his grandmother) so it would be nearly impossible for me to screw it up!

Let just let me add something about a child's ability to learn and to repeat sounds. If anyone has used Chinese with Ease the review lessons have a lot of pronunciation practice, usually a walk through different words to emphasize the different tones and initials that are hard for English speakers to pronounce. When I play it in the car, my son, who is about 20 months old, is able to repeat them spot on. It is incredibly fun and cool to see and hear!

1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 141
21 January 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Wow! How great and cute. I'm wonder about your son, with a Chinese mother and American father, which he look like, or a mix?

Some people think he looks Asian others Caucasian. To me he looks mixed but mostly Caucasian.

He gets a lot of looks! Even though Singapore has a lot of foreigners I guess a mixed baby isn't all that common.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 52 of 141
21 January 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Wow it's been over a month since I've updated my log. Since my last update I've complete the Michel Thomas Chinese Vocabulary course. It's called a vocabulary course but it's really just a continuation of the Basic and Advanced courses. I don't think I fully digested it so I will have to repeat it at some point.

I've also been listening Earworms. I find it quite enjoyable though others don't. I think some of them are better than others. I lucked out in that Mandarin is one of the good ones.

I took a break from the DeFrancis books. It's time to get back to those.

I recently found out that my employer is sending me to Taiwan in March! I wonder if people will understand my pronouciation.
2 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 141
25 February 2011 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
I am continuing with the second volume of Assimil right now. I'm up to about lesson 65. I am finding the new lessons MUCH easier so if anyone is struggling with volume I, stick it out! I find that I understand the dialogs better, and, of course, there are fewer new words per lesson.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 54 of 141
06 May 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
I haven't posted in a long time. Work was busy for a while but now I have more time. I've continued with Assimil (will I ever finish it?!) and have taken up Pimsleur again. I started from Lesson 1 although I have done Volume I once already. I'm setting a goal of finishing all three volumes along with Assimil by the end of the this year.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 56 of 141
06 May 2011 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Yes, I went and had a very nice time.

I don't remember seeing the Hello Kitty airport. What is it?

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version