Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Eric’s Mandarin Log (see post 1 for course list)

Tags: Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
141 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 17 18 Next >>

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 113 of 141
23 February 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
All done with Volume II. Not sure what I am going to do next, maybe continue on with Volume III.
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 114 of 141
26 March 2013 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
I've taken it easy in the last month, feeling lazy. I was able to work through Chinese for Beginners, though. The book contains little to no grammar, instead focusing on dialogs and vocabulary. There are 16 chapters built around touristy dialogs on trasportation, eating out, etc. (The edited dialogs came to about 20 minutes of audio.) I have two criticisms. One, there are only two voice actors and often they play different characters without changing their voices. I found it distracting. Two, they include too much useless vocabulary. For example, one chapter dedicated to tourist attactions in Beijing. I skip over this kind of specialized vocabulary. Overall, I think it is a worthwhile resource, particurlay for the cost.

I started Volume III of Pimsleur. It will feel realy good to finish it.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 115 of 141
02 April 2013 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
I've finished lesson 5.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 116 of 141
08 April 2013 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
I've finished lesson 10.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 117 of 141
13 April 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Done with lesson 15.

cacue23
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4109 days ago

89 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: Shanghainese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Cantonese

Message 118 of 141
13 April 2013 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Whoa, this is a long stretching post. I read the beginning of the post and noticed that you had problems with the 2nd and 3rd tones. That's 5,6 years ago and I'm not sure if you are still having problems with that, but I'll try to explain it anyway.

When English speakers pronounce a word, say "go", there is at first a flatten-out period, and then the tone gradually glides down, so it sounds something like "沟怄" (gou1 ou4 - no it's not a meaningful word). In Chinese though, the tone goes straight down, as in the similar sounding Chinese character 够 (gou4). It's not so distracting in the 4th tone, but if you attempt to pronounce the 2nd tone, the flatten-out period will sound "different" from the general trend and be mistaken for going downward, which, combined with the general trend of going upward, will be mistaken for the 3rd tone, since the latter goes down and then up. If you listen to Chinese speakers speaking English, you'll probably notice the difference, which sometimes has quite a funny effect.

Edited by cacue23 on 13 April 2013 at 6:55pm

cacue23
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4109 days ago

89 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: Shanghainese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Cantonese

Message 119 of 141
13 April 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
"Before a fourth tone syllable and before the classifier ge, qi1 (seven) and ba1 (eight) take a second tone."

I believe that this happens in dialects, specifically, those of the 3 north eastern provinces of China. But since this course is supposed to be on Mandarin, I don't think you should speak according to this rule.
2 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 120 of 141
14 April 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
cacue23 wrote:
newyorkeric wrote:
"Before a fourth tone syllable and before the classifier ge, qi1 (seven) and ba1 (eight) take a second tone."

I believe that this happens in dialects, specifically, those of the 3 north eastern provinces of China. But since this course is supposed to be on Mandarin, I don't think you should speak according to this rule.

In fact, since then, I don't recall seeing this rule in any other books and so I don't use it. Thanks for the explanations!

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version