Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Eric’s Mandarin Log (see post 1 for course list)

Tags: Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
141 messages over 18 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 17 18 Next >>

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 141
08 July 2007 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
After a week of chorusing, mostly while driving to school, I am feeling relatively comfortable with tones. So now I am moving on to unaspirated b, d, and g and aspirated t, p, and k. The aspirated consonants seem straightforward, but can anyone explain to me the best way to properly pronounce b, d, and g? I can't find any explanations.

As an aside, does anyone stop practicing at stop lights? When there is someone in the next lane, I don't have the nerve to continue: ma, ma, ma...

Edited by newyorkeric on 08 July 2007 at 6:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6267 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 10 of 141
08 July 2007 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
b, d, and g as in ba, dui, and gou? I just go for the "normal" b, d and g. Yeah, i have read that it's supposed to be a bit of something inbetween p/b, t/d and g/k, but my hearing does not detect it in speech.

Anyway, if you will continiue with lots of audio and chorusing, the sound will adjust itself later on.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6360 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 141
08 July 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
My performance goes way down in traffic.

johntothea
United States
Joined 6438 days ago

193 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Polish, French

Message 12 of 141
08 July 2007 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
After a week of chorusing, mostly while driving to school, I am feeling relatively comfortable with tones. So now I am moving on to unaspirated b, d, and g and aspirated t, p, and k. The aspirated consonants seem straightforward, but can anyone explain to me the best way to properly pronounce b, d, and g? I can't find any explanations.

As an aside, does anyone stop practicing at stop lights? When there is someone in the next lane, I don't have the nerve to continue: ma, ma, ma...

Maybe you could pretend to talk on the phone? :D

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 141
14 July 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Work the past week has been mostly real work and not fun work. So there hasn't been much time for practicing. I did figure a way to pronounce unaspirated p, t, and k. To pronounce unaspirated p, for example, I pronounce English b a number of times and then change to a p sound. Doing this helps me figure out what my mouth should be doing to remove the aspiration.

Next tasks: learning to pronounce z and c and moving on to FSI pronunciation tape 6, tone combinations.

Edited by newyorkeric on 16 July 2007 at 11:54am

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 141
23 July 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
My major accomplishment this week was upgrading the operating system of an old pda so I can now run Pleco. Pleco is a pretty sweet Chinese/English dictionary and flashcard software package for Chinese learners. It supports pinyin, which is essential because I am not currently studying characters.

I think I got that tricky c down now. I've read that it sounds like the ts in the English word its. After a fustrating couple of days listening to audio samples, I found that this description is a poor one since it implies that an s sound comes after a t sound. Actually the t and s are pronounced at the same time with aspiration. OK, that's enough airtime for a single letter...

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 141
31 July 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I am happy to say that I have moved on from concentrating strictly on tones and pronunciation to more fun material. In the past week I completed the first 4 lessons of Pimsleur I. Because my listening skills are so bad, before each lesson I need to memorize the vocabulary including the tones and the tricky consonants (x vs. sh for example).

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 141
21 August 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
I am now in Singapore, visiting my wife and her family and perusing bookstores for foreign language materials. The amount of Japanese materials available here is staggering.

As for studying, I listened to about 20 chinesepod lessons with transcripts in the past week. I will add any new words to my PDA flashcard program when I get home (I forget to bring the software to link the PDA to a PC. D'oh!) I am also making a list of words that I hear spoken but don't know the meaning.

But my main focus is on pronunciation. My tones, I think are pretty good, but I still have trouble with certain sounds. j, q, c, x, for example. I thought I had a start on these but my wife tells me that I am pronouncing them totally WRONG. So she is breaking me down and building me back up.

BTW, even understanding a word or two of the conversations on the street or on tv is such a confidence booster.

PS The first 60 pages or so of Heisig and Richardson's Remembering Simplified Hanzi 1 and Remembering Traditional Hanzi 1 are available for free here:
http://www.nanzan-u.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/publications/miscPublica tions/Remembering%20Hanzi%201.htm

Edited by newyorkeric on 23 August 2007 at 1:26am

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version