Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Eric’s Mandarin Log (see post 1 for course list)

Tags: Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
141 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 17 18 Next >>

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 97 of 141
12 February 2012 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
I decided to buy the first level of Chinese Breeze readers. Each book uses 300 characters to tell a story. It comes with audio, too. I really enjoy focusing on learning characters and reading right now so this seems to be the right choice. Someday I will spend time on speaking but not yet.
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 98 of 141
03 July 2012 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
It's been a long time since I updated my log. I'm still chugging along when I find time. This year has been a bit on the crazy side. We went through a 6 week period with no child care for our two kids. Work has been crazy hectic but combined with some very positive outcomes there. I did a lot of traveling this summer: Kuala Lumpur, Phuket, Hong Kong, Edinburgh, and London. I also took a long break from the forum after becoming somewhat disillusioned with some moderating issues.

Language wise I have been slowly working through Colloquial Chinese. I still think it's a great course though I don't know any else on the forum that has used it. It seems like a natural choice after Assimil. The dialogs and grammatical structures are much more complex. In fact, listening to Assimil now I realize how simple and slow the dialogs were. I guess that's progress. I am also considering trying to mix in Beginner's Chinese. I am very bad at multitasking two courses at once so I don't know how that will go.

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4511 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 99 of 141
15 August 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Hello, Thanks for a good and Interesting log. It's nice to see that after so long you are still continuing on.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 100 of 141
15 August 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I also took a long break from the forum after becoming somewhat disillusioned with some moderating issues

I am very glad that you have returned now! I was worried that we'd lost you for good, and I know how much work you do to keep the forum functioning as well as possible.

I have been wondering if I might take something of a respite myself, not quite as much as yours perhaps, but when the forum is threatened, I go into overprotective mode and spend too much time here. I have to wonder if this is even a wise thing to do. As inspiring as the place and the members are, it's only a forum. I certainly don't plan to desert it or anything, but I expect that at some point, ordinary life will make a little break necessary, anyway.

Your travels must have been a great way to spend your forum vacation! I must do this one day when I can. I've never seen the Asian locations you mentioned, but some of the photos I've seen are magnificent. They are so far away that they seem very exotic to me - Edinburgh and London, well . . . sorry, UK! Still fine places to visit, though.

Glad you are back!

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 101 of 141
26 November 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
Oh, thanks! I don't think I read your posts at the time maybe due to the notification system not working well at all...

I've kept up the Chinese studies albeit at a snail's past because work has been so busy. I redid Pimsleur I, I did a short 4-hour Collins audio course, and completed Colloquial Chinese by Qian (the new one). I've made an effort to step back to some easier courses that were lying around collecting dust anyways. With that in mind I am now starting TYS Beginners Chinese before ~hopefully~ moving on to the regular TYS course and then Colloquial Chinese II, also by Qian. Also, I will continue with Pimsleur in January.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 102 of 141
26 November 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
meramarina, I am also very sorry to hear what you went through. I can't imagine what it was like.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 103 of 141
01 December 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I"m finished 5 of 21 chapters in TYS Beginners Chinese. After editing out the English and the exercise there is about 50 minutes of dialog which isn't too bad. Overall, the audio is on par with the new Colloquial Chinese course as are the grammatical explanations. The biggest difference is that the TYS course doesn't include characters or translations of the dialog. I found both useful when doing the Colloquial Course.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 104 of 141
11 December 2012 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
I have finished chapter 10. Chapter 11 is about characters and has no audio so I will skip it. Interestingly, all the grammar that is introduced is introduced in chapters 1 through 10. The remaining chapters 12 - 21 just have dialogs and some cultural notes.

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version