Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Eric’s Mandarin Log (see post 1 for course list)

Tags: Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
141 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 17 18 Next >>

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 141
01 June 2011 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Trendy. Are you doing the active phase?
1 person has voted this message useful

TRENDY
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4972 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 66 of 141
01 June 2011 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Hi again newyorkeric, i`ve been taking two lessons each day and when i was done with the first part i went back to the very first lesson again, i did the same with the second part that as i said recently finished.

What i´ll try to do now is each day go through seven lessons in a quick review and then move to the audio of these lessons. I want to stick with it during the summer and by october try to make some drills with other material i´ve seen available on the net, after that i may consider chinespod and buy a couple of chinese grammar books i checked the other day in an international language bookshop which deal with the language in a deeper way, i should be more involved with audio/video by visiting on and off cctv china even though this is not my first aim right now since i consider myself a begginer yet and i´d like to become more familiar with vocabulary/expressions of common use before plunging into the listening comprehension thing. After that try to expand my knowledge in any other shape or form.

Edited by TRENDY on 01 June 2011 at 10:44am

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 67 of 141
04 June 2011 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
I've started thinking about the next course to work on. I'd like to do an audio heavy course like Assimil, but I think I will have to take a short, mental break from that type of course. I will still have to revise Assimil for a while because I understand probably about 90% of it right now. I'd like to get close to 100% before moving on.

So I've decided to work through Colloquial Chinese. The audio isn't as challenging as Assimil so I will still be able to focus on revising Assimil. Plus, I think I need some more explicit grammar explanations now. I've edited the audio to remove all English and am left with 32 minutes of mostly dialogs.

I considered Teach Yourself Chinese as well. But I've found the course to be inferior to Colloquial Course. Some chapters are missing audio. And the quality of the stock is really low. But the most offending part is the way they have the dialogs displayed. The formatting is just so bad that I can't read for more than a couple of seconds without getting annoyed and tossing the book aside.

OK rant over.

Edited by newyorkeric on 05 June 2011 at 5:05am

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 141
06 June 2011 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I'm halfway through level 1 of CLO. I'm considering buying some premium materials, particularly the dialog-only audio when I get to level 2. It's $19.95 for the Review Audio of the 60 lessons of a level, which includes the dialogs among other things. I'm not sure if it's worth it. According to Adam, the creator, there are about 20 dialogs from the lessons. There are also new dialogs not included in the free lessons that use the same vocabulary.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 69 of 141
06 June 2011 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Since you're pretty far if not almost finished with Assimil, it seemed odd to me to be looking at beginning podcasts. Why not look at say intermediate level material?!

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 141
06 June 2011 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
That's a good question. It never occurred to me to start at a higher level. OCD maybe? I guess I would worry that I'd missed something important.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 71 of 141
06 June 2011 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
That's a good question. It never occurred to me to start at a higher level. OCD maybe? I guess I would worry that I'd missed something important.

I look at it this way.... Language is fluid. And there's no such thing as covering every single eventuality, as much as we may try. If it's important, you'll run into it again and can address it at that time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 72 of 141
07 June 2011 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
I'm finished lesson 98 of Assimil. Just seven more to go!

I've decided not to buy the dialogs from CLO for now. Instead, I'm editing the dialogs out of the lesson MP3s, which are free. For the first half of level 1, there are about four and half minutes of dialog audio.

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version