SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6706 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 74
13 February 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
I got Philadelphian, which is interesting - I'm not a native speaker and have never even been to America. This weekend I'm meeting people from there, so I could always ask what they think.
1 person has voted this message useful

Felixelus
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6635 days ago

237 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 74
13 February 2008 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Well I'm English native speak for England and I got:
Your Result: The Inland North
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

When I "do" an american accent I get this:
Your Result: The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

I met a New Yorker recently who loved my american accent! I guess I might be watching to much American tv... :D

MerryHearted
Diglot
United States
Joined 6544 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 11 of 74
13 February 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Hmm... I was born & raised in the Seattle area but it says I have a N Central accent. At least West was 2nd highest on the list. My dad is from PA.

I wonder what answers I gave differently from West. I messed around with the poll a bit but got further away from West, not closer to it. Highly suspicious. ;)

vista
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6192 days ago

38 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Basque

Message 12 of 74
13 February 2008 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
New England. Thats what I expected I guess, seeing as how I'm from New York. Number 8 needs more choices though because I pronounce "Mary" and "marry" similarly, but "merry" differently. Someone already mentioned that though.

Qbe
Tetraglot
United States
joewright.org/var
Joined 6932 days ago

289 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Japanese, German, Mandarin, Aramaic

Message 13 of 74
16 February 2008 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Born and raised in Michigan, got The Inland North as my quiz result. And I do call it "pop". "Soda" is used in baking.

After a while you can distinguish other accents from around the region. Ten years ago I was working a tech support job in Minnesota when a customer from Ohio called. She said, "I didn't know you guys were in Michigan." When I told her that we were in Minnesota, she said "But you're from Michigan. I can tell by your accent."

My wife and I lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota for 15 years and we never really felt that the people around us spoke differently. However, when we moved back to Michigan it really felt good to hear the familiar sounds of the "Michigan accent" around us.

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7115 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 74
16 February 2008 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Canadian. I knew that there were light differences from "General American" (usually defined as a Midwest accent), but never thought you could actually tell from a quiz. The thing that has always struck me is how people in Vancouver speak the same way as I do, but how people across the border in Michigan and in New York definitely don't sound the same.

Thanks for the quiz!

-----------------------------

I just assumed it was the same quiz and didn't even look at the link! The link on this site actually gave me the West.

"Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta."

Here's the link that correctly identified me as having a Canadian accent:
http://www.memegen.net/view/show/2313

"Canada. You probably get irritated when British people and Europeans think you're from the States, but over here we wouldn't make a mistake like that.

If you're not Canadian, you're either a Minnesotan, or you're a Westerner who over-thought some of the questions on the quiz."

How the Accents sound different

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 15 of 74
17 February 2008 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
victor wrote:

Here's the link that correctly identified me as having a Canadian accent:
http://www.memegen.net/view/show/2313

"Canada. You probably get irritated when British people and Europeans think you're from the States, but over here we wouldn't make a mistake like that.

If you're not Canadian, you're either a Minnesotan, or you're a Westerner who over-thought some of the questions on the quiz."

How the Accents sound different

Southern. Love it or hate it, your accent says you're probably from somewhere south of the Ohio River.

If you're not from the South, you probably were overanalyzing the questions. Take the quiz again but don't think so hard next time.

---

Yet more proof that my Canadian accent has really disappeared, annoyingly. I've noticed that I tend to either sound vaguely German, or have a weird American-South accent, which is something I entirely can't explain; it's not particularly Texan, and I never lived anywhere else in the South.

noybf
United States
Joined 6184 days ago

34 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 16 of 74
17 February 2008 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

This quiz is pretty accurate. It figured out my accent correctly and where I am from (Western NY).

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version