Groupie
United States
Joined 6270 days ago

85 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 25 of 74
18 February 2008 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm from Florida.

1 person has voted this message useful

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6156 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 26 of 74
22 February 2008 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
Wow.. I was surprised to see how accurate it is for me:

"Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak."

I'm from northern New Jersey ;)

-Jason

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6691 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 74
23 February 2008 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
Though I don't have any kind of american accent (one of the lucky few ;o), I tried this test, based on the more or less standard UK accent that I try to mimic in my speech, admittedly with varying degrees of success.

To me there is a clear difference in pronunciation between all those alternatives, except ou in loud and about, and this came back as a "North Eastern" accent in the test.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6472 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 28 of 74
23 February 2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
My results:

"You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine."

I always thought I had an Spanish accent...:o)

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6665 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 29 of 74
27 February 2008 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
It pegged me as Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) and said it's another way of saying I "don't have an accent."

I think that's an accurate description, as I am from Nebraska, which is part of the midwest. However, I was born and raised in a town very near (almost within jogging distance if you are into marathons...or 15 minutes by car) from the Colorado border, and I've been told that's actually the West.

My entirely family is from Colorado (I'm a first generation Nebraskan) so doubtless their accent has influenced mine someone, and when I go to Colorado I hear practically no difference between their speech and mine. But, I go to university on the other side of the state, not far from Missouri, which is decidedly Midwest (Lincoln, specifically). Once again, I hear no difference in accent (nor from most of the other students on campus, the majority who are from Nebraska).

Somehow, I have noticed how sometimes members of my family tend to have a twangier sound to some of their words (like imitating a movie cowboy, I guess, for those of you who don't know what I mean), but I've never noticed that myself. After living a year in Mexico, I sometimes (like today) catch myself saying "this" but sounding almost exactly like "these" even after five years or so. I don't think living a year in Germany has really changed the way I speak, however.

In short, I'm not sure how "midland" I really am.

By the way, it said I mostly have southern qualities, which is really odd. I've barely been down there, but maybe it's because I analyzed the sounds closely before choosing an answer? Closely after that it said Western qualities, which I understand.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6456 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 30 of 74
27 February 2008 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
My result: Inland North.

It's accurate, because I'm not far from Cleveland. The only possible inaccuracy is that I call it "soda" rather than "pop." However, I went to school in New England.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6665 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 31 of 74
28 February 2008 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
I say both soda and pop. Pop is the regional word, but to me I've used them both enough that they are both "native" to me now. I recognized this once when I asked for a soda once, and the person laughed and said "You mean pop." I couldn't remember which word was the correct one to use in my region, as I was so accustomed to both. I'll probably make this mistake again.

I don't say "coke" generically though (to me a Coke is any version of a Coca-Cola), and I never say "fizzy drink" but that's more British and Australian (and I'm not sure where else) I believe.

Anyway, that's more of a dialect question than strictly an "accent" one.

Edited by Journeyer on 28 February 2008 at 12:30am

TDC
Triglot
United States
Joined 6718 days ago

261 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, French
Studies: Esperanto, Ukrainian, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Persian

Message 32 of 74
01 March 2008 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
I got south which would be correct because I'm from NC. But my next highest level was Midland, which was nearly the same level.

However, I don't pronounce "on" to rhyme with "dawn" or "don" but with "bone".

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version