realizeenglish.com/
Joined 4921 days ago

37 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: French, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 49 of 74
04 December 2010 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

That's awesome because I AM Canadian! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5244 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 50 of 74
04 December 2010 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I say "soda" now that I live in California, but it picked Inland North and I was born and raised in Michigan. I gave the quiz to a friend from Utah who can't say "caught" differently from "cot" unless he pretends he has British accent. It placed him solidly in the West. Interesting how so few questions can draw the distinctions pretty well.

Edited by BartoG on 04 December 2010 at 11:57pm

Architect
Triglot
United States
Joined 5802 days ago

11 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Biblical Hebrew, Modern Hebrew
Studies: French, German

Message 51 of 74
09 December 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
I got classified as Northeast.

I grew up in New York City and now live in Boston.

I have been told by many people that I have a neutral accent, all the years in Boston have neutralized the New York accent without acquiring a Boston one.

Just for laughs (or as they would say in another part of the US, giggles) I changed my answer to the "what do you think about "Mary," "merry," and "marry" question to say that they all sound the same. That is the classical question to distinguish a Boston accent.

That changed my results to Inland North.

vanillabean
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4805 days ago

53 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 52 of 74
23 March 2011 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
RealJames wrote:
Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

That's awesome because I AM Canadian! :)

Haha, same for me. :)

Sanghee
Groupie
United States
Joined 4865 days ago

60 posts - 98 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 53 of 74
23 March 2011 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm from Florida, so it's correct :) My 2nd top was "the west" which also would be right (I was a little iffy on the dawn/don questions, don't know if changing my answer would have made a difference).

Tedmac278
Triglot
United States
Joined 4097 days ago

23 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Estonian

Message 54 of 74
20 February 2013 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Spot on! I'm from Atlanta. I'm glad this confirms what I tell people from other countries: That I don't really have a regional accent, it's just a standard american accent.

Thanks for the link!

Edited by Tedmac278 on 20 February 2013 at 1:38am

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 55 of 74
20 February 2013 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
My Result: The South 88%

That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it.

Amazing. I was born in Alabama, lived there until I was 10, lived in Atlanta until I was 15, then went back to Alabama for university and left afterwards.

Many people in the South - even people in my own family - told me that I had "proper English", that I had a standard accent. Heh, I guess they were wrong!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4686 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 56 of 74
20 February 2013 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
I was sure this wasn't going to be accurate ... I answered half the questions with a
"maybe I don't know" - and I got 77% Inland North (Great Lakes). Bingo. I'm was born and
raised in Michigan:   

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when
    you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from
    Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

And yes, I get those annoying questions all the time, though it's usually "are you from
Australia?" and occasionally "you must be from Canada."

Edited by kanewai on 20 February 2013 at 3:27am

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version