United States
myspace.com/bobandbiRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5912 days ago

51 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 33 of 74
10 March 2008 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
I'm from NC as well, but the Midland was slightly higher than the South. Kind of odd, as I don't think anyone could mistake my accent for anything other than southern. It wasn't off by much though, so I'll give it that.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy on 10 March 2008 at 5:01am

1 person has voted this message useful

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6061 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 34 of 74
11 March 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
My accent is North Central. "Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot." <- Well, I AM a Canadian. In my world it's the same accent I hear on TV...

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5132 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 35 of 74
13 October 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged 

Midland accent.
"You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas."

Close but not quite. I'm from Europe. ;-)

"You have a good voice for TV and radio."

Well I guess that makes sense, seeing as I got my accent from watching American films and TV.

jasoninchina
China
Joined 5028 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 36 of 74
13 October 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent.

Dead on. Very fun quiz.

Desacrator48
Groupie
United States
Joined 5105 days ago

93 posts - 127 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 37 of 74
14 October 2010 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
My Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

--------

Well, I am from the West, born and raised in the suburbs of Los Angeles. I was really hoping I wouldn't get any other result than this, and fortunately I didn't. I already knew I had the generic American 'accent' and at least now my thoughts are confirmed.

From what I read previously, this does seem like a very accurate quiz based on the satisfaction of other people with their results.

Also, I'd like to point out how easily the quiz can determine your accent simply by how you pronounce two similarily spelled words. This brings to mind a radio bit I remember here in L.A. where two local radio guys were debating how two words should sound the same as opposed to how they should be pronounced differently as advocated by a guy from...Philadelphia, haha.

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5268 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 38 of 74
15 October 2010 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
My result: the Inland North.

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you
step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from
Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

_____

Born and raised in California. I've never been east of the Rockies. So...huh.

This quiz brought to my attention the fact that I distinguish between long and short
vowels. I pronounce "cot" and "caught" slightly differently, for instance, the latter
having a longer vowel sound. I didn't use to pronounce vowels differently based on
their length; it's only since I've begun studying languages in earnest that I've picked
up pieces of other accents. And in everyday speech I don't normally differentiate
between the pronunciation of "cot" and "caught," but when the question is put to me, as
in quizzes like this, I realize that yes, I do articulate these sounds differently.

Apart from some joking around, I've never referred to soda as "pop." ><

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 39 of 74
20 October 2010 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
I got a Midland accent, though I'm from upstate New York. That makes sense though, since here we speak a more generic American accent than our neighbors in New England or New York City.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6746 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 40 of 74
20 October 2010 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
Born and raised in southern California, and I got the West :)

Honestly, I couldn't even imagine how any of those were supposed to be pronounced differently, besides 'caught' with the /ɔ/ which doesn't exist in my dialect (I learned about this sound for the first time in a phonetics class, and even now when trying to pronounce it I have to visualize a New Yorker or British person saying 'law' or something like that).

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version