Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Mind Portal...The Language Project!!!

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
84 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 10 11 Next >>
Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5751 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Japanese, Swedish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 49 of 84
31 July 2008 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Pavilion wrote:

I expect that Cainntear was disagreeing rather vehemently with the suggestions made by Jozen-Bo, which is upsetting and feelings can run high. You're both clearly highly intelligent people and feel strongly about things. That makes it really interesting for readers such as myself, but at the same time there's no need for anyone to upset anyone else!

Jozen-Bo, in my humble opinion you have every right to present these ideas with enthusiasm, and Cainntear, you have every right to oppose them. As I see it, that's what's been happening.

Let's not get upset, but keep the discussion going. I for one am intrigued by the Language Project.

Thank you Pavilion, your words are refreshing and appreciated! :)

----------------------------------
apparition wrote:

When I say 'crazy', I mean it endearingly. It's 'crazy' in the sense that it's so very different than anything else I've seen. Since I have yet to see if it works, I'm not going to go so far as to call it 'innovative' or anything. I guess I just don't have a neutral way of saying 'very different'.

As for the plane analogy, let's just say I'm waiting to see the plane off the ground. :)

Strange, weird, unusual; do these words function? So or so, I now understand what you meant and I thank you for clearing that up!

As for the plane analogy, I am going to go get that first plane finished today since I am already so close to finishing it. It introduces 800 words, enough to speak like a toddler who still doesn't understand the formalities of the language, though, did we as children start out with the full vocabulary and understanding of the formalities? The following maps will be focusing more on these. Yeah, let's see if this flies!

On a side note, it has become clear that by using eye glasses I can see a crisper image, and considering how important a role the eyes play, and how it is easier to absorb when the images are clear, I will soon be getting a pair of reading glasses (I don't need to, but I do see better with them).

---------------------------------------------
patuco wrote:
Pavilion wrote:
Jozen-Bo, in my humble opinion you have every right to present these ideas with enthusiasm, and Cainntear, you have every right to oppose them.

That's right, but let's keep it civil please otherwise this thread will be closed.

Thank you.

That I value this thread and I value the productive environment that civility brings, I will be taking these words to heart.

Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5751 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 50 of 84
09 August 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I have been considering to arrange several languages into a larger set, though it would cost more to print. I am seeing the possibility to arrange rows that change as they go into the outer rings, if down properly perhaps I could get roughly 50 words into each ring, condensing English and German into the middle because I am mare familiar with these, then allowing for 11 other sets. If one map fits 800 words, then 16 of these would do what one map does, yet providing groups of 50 at a time to make the steps shorter, while more varied.

I am somewhat stranded at the last 250 words at the moment, so I am spinning what I have so far, which I have done now three times. The first time I got a head ache, though the next two times none at all. At high rates there is almost nothing to see visibly, though at slowly rates the words begin to appear, and as it gets very slower, they are easy to read from any angle- something about the spin make this easier.

I am carefully noting what I sense as problematic, for beginners not all the text is the same size, and the larger words jump out first, are easier logged into the mind, and make viewing the smaller text words more difficult. Printing this out shall be most preferable, as the size of the text can be better controlled and this should put an end to this problem.

Another big one is that I lack reading glasses and have to move my head close enough to read, which ruins basically almost everything. So in order to solve this I will be getting a pair in the next days. I have discovered that it is easier to recognize geometric patterns and shapes more clearly at high speed rotations and and longer distance, when they add up like text they suddenly get blurry, but if they aren't text- (a yin yang for example) I see more clearly from the same distance the image. I have noticed this a long time ago actually, though now its disturbing this experiment.

It appears I'm on my own, which is one of the reasons I am pondering to make maps that teach 13 languages at a time instead of 1, though the lessens being much, much shorter. As I consider this...it seems like more fun...yes then I will have to apdate my stats here very soon...this will go very quickly given a month or so after saving for a computer for the graphics...another idea comes to mind (whistles)!!!

!!!Yes, many ideas are coming in!!!...

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5751 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 51 of 84
10 August 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
This place appears to have many very useful resources to draw upon, as the aim of this experiment it to maximize efficiency into observable results. Therefor I will be mixing knowledge gathered locally and internally to route out the quickest means possible to gaining a broad spectrum of languages to build on.

I noted the Enigma here speaks 22 languages fluently, which is truly amazing. The next is around 12, he or she is the only one with such a high stature, which leaves me wondering how much time did this person use to learn so many languages? Its good to know for a few reasons.
I speak two languages currently, so adding 11 more to my studies will bring me up to 13 if I can get them down. This will put me on the charts, though my aim is to go further and take Enigma's title (who as I see it is currently the word champion here...).

It will take a while perhaps, its a long distance to go, this isn't a 1 week race (yes I am competitive). I will see how far I get in two years, then I will continue to push further with what I got while adding a new set of 12, then after 2 more years another set of 12, and at least one more set of 12 if not more.

This will leave me at 49 languages, though I can say for myself 50 because the Mind Portal day code is a language without words, like sign language is...by the way sign language is included and I am going to see if I can coordinate visual queues to help me get the hand motions down...though later, as my hands are full with the current list.

This is the order:

English        2nd group        3rd group        & nbsp; 4th group
German..........Bulgarian.........Sign Language........Hawaiian
French..........Cantonese.........Slovak...............Green landish
Spanish.........Croatian..........Turkish..............Gaeli c (Scottish)
Dutch...........Czech.............Tzotzil..............Portu guese
Polish..........Danish............Tzeltal..............Basqu e
Finnish.........Greek.............Tibetan..............Afrik aans
Swedish.........Italian...........Zulu.................Farsi /Persian
Norwegian.......Hebrew............Thai.................Korea n
Russian.........Icelandish........Pashto...............Latin
Arabic..........Hindi.............Mayan Languages......Mongolian
Sanskrit........Romanian..........Lithuanian...........Swahi li
Japanese........Cherokee..........Indonesian...........Taiwa nese

(...+ the evolving self produced revolutionary revolving mind portal calendar secret day code...
=50 Languages...!!!)

After this I can say I speak 50 languages. I don't just want to beat Enigma, I want to squash this person...to prove a point and rub it in some. I also threw in Gaelic as a present for Cainteer, who spiced this thread up with so much controversy that when I do succeed it will burn that much more the point across.

This is going to work, I am thrilled about it. It will be work, but my brain is finding new structures and working out the transmission patterns. I have already figured a way to produce finished maps in roughly 1/8 the time, bringing production by hand down to about 2 hours a map. It involves using the double concentric method (I love making up new terms to describe new sequences), which is to introduce 28 new concentric lines and then to fill out word rows in each, one English, one German, one French, and so on. This allows 4 rows of 13 languages and provides enough space for roughly 125-150 words if not a few more (I am underestimating this time).

If I choose the words correctly from what I gathered about Lexemics, then with the first single map I can get access to roughly 40% of all the words used in 13 languages - that's pretty freaking awesome! I am stoked! Exponential functions of nature kick arse!

I am not just going to spin fast, which is the unfortunate presumption people make, I will roll the wheel slowly while I read the words across in a normal line, its lazier and more convenient then turning pages in a book. Then I will spin fast in between for fun. I will also be listening and reading books when my vocabulary grows to a given point. Basically I will be experimenting around to find out what works and how to combine methods to reduce time and increase results. The actual plans are so complicated that I don't think I'll bother to go over them fully this time.

If there is still anyone interested, (if all the paranormal stuff didn't scare you off-) at this point the experiment is still open to those who wish to participate, because I want to move quickly and sharing maps will speed things up even more, though I am now much calmer, because I am aware of how to gather more even quicker then before, and I am confident that in time Enigma will be eating my dust (I have to hype it up a little...for the dramatic effects).

I will still use the spiral method to finish those 3 Finnish maps, to see if my results in this particular language excel and by how much, though it will be included in the array maps as well. Other then those 3, I won't be generating spiral word configurations by hand for language maps anymore and will wait until I have a program to speed up productivity.    

Some information I encountered at this sight is going to come in very handy:

The result is that:
the    75 most common words make up 40% of occurences
the   200 most common words make up 50% of occurences
the   524 most common words make up 60% of occurences
the 1257 most common words make up 70% of occurences
the 2925 most common words make up 80% of occurences
the 7444 most common words make up 90% of occurences
the 13374 most common words make up 95% of occurences
the 25508 most common words make up 99% of occurences

This shows clearly that vocabulary frequency follows both the law of Pareto (80% of occurences by only 20% of words) and the law of diminishing returns.
So yes you can probably read any text with only 3000 or 5000 words, but you will always miss some key words. You can't really say that all you need is 3000 words although this certainly gets you to a more or less autonomous stage in your learning, from which you can learn many words by their context.
Lexemic dictionaries also exist for other languages but are hard to find. Non-lexemic frequency dictionaries are useless as they would list you every single variation of words. They are not usable by a language learner.
You can use such a dictionary (with the words and the frequency) to discover new, frequent words which you can learn, or to estimate the size of your vocabulary.

-Language Learning Forums

I can get over 75 words (150-200...) into the first map 13 times, for 13 languages. That will give roughly 40% access to each one of them. By the time this expands to 3000 words over 15-20 maps, I will have roughly 80% access. Does one see where this is going and why I then slow down to add new groups, while continuing just slower with the developed ones? I am looking at rationals and statistical percentages to speed things up as much as possible, and this bit of information is EXTREMELY USEFUL to know, so I would like to thank the Language Learning Forums for providing it!

The means are becoming so much clearer so much quicker that I am getting a very, very good feeling about this. If I can generate those 3000 words for 80 % even quicker then 2 years time, then I will begin to move into the next list even sooner then scheduled. I am not sure how I will continue with the first groups, but it will be done. Maybe by then there is a computer program that will allow me to flash through the groups while positioning them on a slow spin (I find that a slow spin is very easy and comfortable to working with, the motion is important thought, because things that move tend to get our attention...think about when a bird flies out of nowhere in a quiet field- your attention tends to follow the motion). I'll let it rest here...

Sincerely,
Jozen-Bo

Edited by Jozen-Bo on 10 August 2008 at 8:10am

Polyglot2005
United States
Joined 6976 days ago

184 posts - 185 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 52 of 84
11 August 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Jozen-Bo wrote:

Why do you bother to tell me you are declining? Why not simply say nothing? Why do you feel the need to publicly announce your declination? What is the purpose of that?

If you doubt my methods, my goals, my sincerity; what does this do? It's more opinions, and not results.

Mr. Bo, may I ask you a question: What purpose did it serve to start this thread? You should start with yourself, report your results and then offer up the idea to open minded people. I understand you want people on board with your idea so you can gather some results but as others have said, an idea lacking scientific support of any kind is going to be a hard sell.

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5751 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 53 of 84
12 August 2008 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Polyglot2005 wrote:
Mr. Bo, may I ask you a question: What purpose did it serve to start this thread? You should start with yourself, report your results and then offer up the idea to open minded people. I understand you want people on board with your idea so you can gather some results but as others have said, an idea lacking scientific support of any kind is going to be a hard sell.

The purpose of this thread is many. One of the reasons is to make more people aware this is happening. Another is to give any who are able-minded access to the experience themselves. That's enough for now, I am tired and don't feel like going over all the reasons at this time.

My results after spinning 600 words 4 times...roughly 10% or 60 of the words are sticking. I learned a lot from making this map, made many mistakes...

I am not to concerned at this time anymore with anyone else getting involved, I figured out how to move as quickly as I want to without their help. Did you miss that part I wrote about speaking 50 languages in about 5 years? WHO-T-F speaks 50 languages? I got to thank Marcus...and Enigma (the word champ) both, as encountering them brought about the reactive thoughts how. I will be doing some networking, I have many friends of many languages and I will be setting up to speak with them in their own soon, the hardest part shouldn't really be so hard, if I move with consideration for my time.   

I am no longer concerned with finding scientific support, it won't be long until science is racing to figure out what the heck is really going on. Thank goodness I am just some internet shadow... The Mind Portal will ultimately sell itself, if those are the words you choose to use. Why would I have any reason to doubt this after what I have seen? Heck, it will cause a global economic boom this planet has never seen before, stock brokers will drop turds in their pants.

I better run, lot's to do...

Edited by Jozen-Bo on 12 August 2008 at 3:08pm

autodidactic
Bilingual Triglot
United States
tinyurl.com/cunningl
Joined 6411 days ago

100 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Kazakh

Message 54 of 84
12 August 2008 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Este tipo esta loco.

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6372 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 55 of 84
12 August 2008 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
:-)

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5751 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 56 of 84
14 August 2008 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
autodidactic wrote:
Este tipo esta loco.

Gracias por el buen reír!

He dicho suficiente por ahora ...

Vlad wrote:
:-)

(: (: (:

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version