Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 113 of 118
05 January 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:

¿Cómo fue tu viaje a Costa Rica? Me parece un país muy bonito y oí que haya millones de
mariposas allí. ¡Qué maravilla! - me gustan mucho las mariposas, y los pájaros también
claro y ya lo creo que en Costa Rica haya pájaros de colores magníficos.

Hola "Kuikentje", :-)

No hay ni que decir que fue un viaje maravilloso, y bien valió la pena. Disfrutamos
mucho de nuestra estancia – pasamos ahí diez días inolvidables, llenos de aventuras!
Como ya sabes, Costa Rica se destaca por su biodiversidad la más rica del mundo; por
eso vimos muchas mariposas, pájaros, iguanas y otros animales! Además teníamos suerte,
porque el clima fue templado y no llovía mucho.

Si de mí dependiera, nos habríamos quedado mucho más tiempo en Costa Rica. Me encantan
los ticos (Y los tiquismos! Tuanis!), las frutas desconocidas, las bosques, los
volcanes, y las playas. Quedé impresionado por muchos aspectos de la cultura. Lo que
más me gustaba era el ambiente relajado y el ritmo lento de la vida. Espero que podré
regresar pronto. ¡Pura vida, mae!

1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 114 of 118
06 January 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
I'm happy to see you have returned! You were one of the first here to encourage me with my own language log and I liked reading yours, too. But I understand how sometimes other things must come first and glad to see that you made good progress while you were away. Welcome back!

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 115 of 118
07 January 2011 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Hi Meramarina! Good to "see" you again. I hope all is well; I recall seeing a post or
two from you discussing some health and employment issues. Is everything back to
normal?

I took a week off from work to come to Toledo, Ohio, in order to be with my daughter.
On January 3, I became a grandpa for the first time! (at the tender young age of 42!)
My daughter had married a Lebanese man, so I've been learning some Arabic words and
phrases from him and his friends (mostly, ahem, "off color" words). My grandson will be
raised bilingually, Arabic and English.

I had plenty of time for reading Russian while sitting around the hospital waiting for
baby to come out and play. I finished Turgenev's Ася (Asya) as well as the
equally unhappy Первая Любовь (First Love), the other novella in my adapted
reader. The latter work is apparently considered one of his best, but I preferred the
quiet, melancholic atmosphere and the emotional impact of the former. I encountered a
mountain of unfamiliar vocabulary in both, as one would expect with nineteenth-century
lit -- adapted or not. I'll do a word count one of these days for my "million words"
goal.

The mom of one of my former Latin students loaned me a novel in French to read while on
this trip: Dai Sijie's Balzac et la Petite Tailleuse Chinoise. I'm on page 50ish
of 220ish, and I'm finding it's a charming, easy read, offering a glimpse into the life
of two young "intellectuals" during the Chinese Cultural Revolution. The French has
turned out to be so straightforward that I bet it would be a great choice for
intermediate students of the language who want to dip into modern literature.

In case anyone read my previous post in which I asked for help identifying the forum
member who wrote a "million words" log last year, never mind. I answered my question
myself: it was "Doviende."

Total word count: I don't know yet.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 116 of 118
11 January 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
WORD COUNT

Turgenev, Ася (adapted): 9,800
Turgenev, Первая Любовь (adapted): 10,700
Dai Sijie, Balzac et la Petite Tailleuse chinoise: 47,500

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 117 of 118
11 January 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Hey, congratulations on you first grandchild! You are VERY young to be a grandpa, but you'll be there to see the child grow and learn, and that will be exciting and I'm happy for you and your family.

As for me, no, the health and employment problems are likely to be with me for good, but I'm doing my best to cope with the setbacks by catching up on writing, upgrading my technical knowledge, looking for the next assignment, and of course continuing with language study.

It looks like you are working on several languages. I'm trying to figure out how to balance work on multiple languages. I watched a video by Professor Arguelles recently, and I think he said that language study, in a way, becomes more difficult in terms of maintainance with the third or fourth one (if I remember correctly), although you become a more effective language learner overall. This certainly is true for me so far, but I'll get used to it with more experience. Was this a problem in your studies?

I'm not a word counter because I'd count all day. And probably all night, too. It would wreck my life, really!

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version