Triglot
United States
Joined 6128 days ago

122 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Slovak

Message 1 of 139
14 December 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,

I'm wondering how many of you have problems with natives of your target language being ungrateful of your efforts.

Since I've been in Slovakia, I've had numerous people make fun of and otherwise ridicule my mistakes, no matter their seriousness. I really didn't expect such a harsh reception and it is somewhat discouraging.

How do you deal with these types of people?

-Robert
4 persons have voted this message useful

LanguageGeek
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5895 days ago

151 posts - 159 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, Hungarian
Studies: French, Russian

Message 2 of 139
14 December 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
So far I never heard good things about Slovaks...

My advice is to study Hungarian instead: Friendlier people, richer culture and much more glorious history. ( not just 20 years...)

Slovaks: Don't flame me, I won't even bother to respond

5 persons have voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5822 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 3 of 139
14 December 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Uh.. maybe you're just not in the right company. There are morons in every country (though, admittedly, some places yield higher concentrations ;p.)

Edited by Sennin on 14 December 2008 at 3:40pm

nissimb
Tetraglot
Groupie
India
tenjikuyamato.blogsp
Joined 6202 days ago

79 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Marathi*, Hindi, English, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Esperanto, Indonesian

Message 4 of 139
14 December 2008 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Yes, in my case, the Japanese. Although I would not call them "ungrateful", as nobody made fun of my mistakes when I was in studying in Japan and spoke Japanese with them. They were just unappreciative and disinterested. I always felt that their attitude was like "you are interested in Japan and have studied Japanese, so what?". I had really wonderful experiences with Koreans and Indonesians, even though my knowledge of Korean and Indonesian was (and still is) pathetic.

Goindol
United States
Joined 5862 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 5 of 139
14 December 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Why do you feel entitled to gratitude?
26 persons have voted this message useful

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5786 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 139
15 December 2008 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
I don't know why you think you should get gratitude, the greatest respect, something I would hope for, is just to be treated as and spoken to as any other random person on the street in the local or national language of a place. It's pretty rough in China. You have the people who take no particular interest in you (not implying they should), and then you have the people super enthusiastic to meet you. The problem is the ones super enthusiastic are exactly the ones you don't want to meet because you'll have nothing in common. They want to go on and on about America TV shows, Britney Spears, and Justin Timberlake, and if I cared at all about that why would I have come to China? Then when the realize you are not the "stereotypical X" they were looking for and worse yet you study Chinese, you'll really feel despised.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 7 of 139
15 December 2008 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
rlf1810 wrote:
Hello all,

I'm wondering how many of you have problems with natives of your target language being ungrateful of your efforts.

Since I've been in Slovakia, I've had numerous people make fun of and otherwise ridicule my mistakes, no matter their seriousness. I really didn't expect such a harsh reception and it is somewhat discouraging.

How do you deal with these types of people?

-Robert

No offence, but I can see the point of Goindol's response. I wouldn't expect gratitude from Slovaks just because I'd be making an effort to speak Slovak in Slovakia. After all, Slovak is the official language so all that I'd be doing would be trying to follow the rules and do as the locals do things. No gratitude expected.

In any case, your experience still strikes me as very odd. I myself have an accent, but apparently some Slovaks seem surprised that I can speak with relatively little accent (if they only knew how many years it took for me to develop my accent in Slovak!). Whatever grammatical mistakes that I make in speech (and I make plenty of them) seem offset by their overestimation of the accuracy of my accent just on hearing my uttering of a few words in Slovak.

Whenever I've been in Slovakia I've never been ridiculed (or at least I haven't been within earshot to catch it :-P) when speaking or writing in Slovak. The only things that I can think of are that you may be speaking Slovak with a thick accent or using it with grammatical errors that they deem to be worse than what a Slovak child would make. I don't know about your background, but maybe their expectations on your ability in Slovak are relatively high in comparison to mine. Do Slovaks think that you are of Slovak ancestry?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 8 of 139
15 December 2008 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
LanguageGeek wrote:
So far I never heard good things about Slovaks...

My advice is to study Hungarian instead: Friendlier people, richer culture and much more glorious history. ( not just 20 years...)

Slovaks: Don't flame me, I won't even bother to respond

Very interesting. My Hungarian friends are shocked that I speak some Slovak, while my Slovak friends are shocked that I speak some Hungarian. It seems that some people on both sides of the border still have hard feelings. :-(

For Slovakia learning Hungarian doesn't go that far. Trust me, I've tried to use Hungarian in Slovakia and got nowhere unless I had run into someone who's part of the Hungarian minority - and that was only twice in the 6 years that I've gone to Slovakia.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 139 messages over 18 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version