United States
Joined 6164 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 77
07 July 2009 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
Seems like on every instance the word "Spanish" appeared, it was spelled as such by the OP. Otherwise, all caps. This doesn't really add anything to this thread, but hey, it's not like it was meant to be a good one. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5473 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 10 of 77
07 July 2009 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
bsta wrote:
Im sorry but i dont believe you are fluent..ive been studying for maybe 2 years solid and im still a novice or at least i think i am..sorry matey but im not buying your genius..

I think it's possible to reach a low level of fluency within the time frame the OP claims to have done it in.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5790 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Studies: German

Message 11 of 77
07 July 2009 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
I believe that the time frame is doable, though as Paskwc says only a low level of fluency. What the OP did wouldn't work for me though. However if true kudos to him. Those of you still struggling along years after starting should start look at doing things a bit differently though...

healing332
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

164 posts - 211 votes 

Message 12 of 77
07 July 2009 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I am not a genius and there was no magic..I was motivated by women..I lived as a Latino. As an example a big story like the Micheal Jackson story I would read in Spanish. You would be surprised how much you understand even with no training. Studies show most Americans know hundreds of Spanish words without even being aware of it.

I became a Latino ..I did not study or supplement my learning with tv as the earlier poster mentioned. There was no supplement. I watched novelas..and was so excited with out ever thinking that I did not understand... I hung on every word.

I spoke Spanish every day to everyone...I lived as a Latino ..i never studied Spanish..

It is very easy to live as a latino in America..even the customer service for cellphone..telephone..everything is in Spanish! When a beautiful girl has danced with you for a while ..you better believe you are going to learn do you want something to drink...rapido

Go to any chinese restaurant in New York and all the Chinese know Spanish
they just started picking it up and they like to speak Spanish

My friends were sick of my half Spanish half English conversations but I never stopped. I once heard some guys at work making fun of me..then I heard the Spanish maintanance cleaner say "You guys are wrong.. He is really getting good.."

I do not believe in giving an hour or 2 a day to language study..I believe in living as if you are already a Latino..Frenchmen..Dane..or whatever..

Science shows food and sex are the strongest motivators..mine were Latinas
After finding this great forum..I saw that pimplesur is in my library for free..I took it out to see what it was all about and was surprised that I learn Spanish with the same lines he uses....do you want something to eat..drink..do you want to come to my house..this is what i said to girls

Your Brain is a lazy genius..but when you force it to speak in the new language it does amazing things..I see the brain as the smart rebel kid in school who will not do the work unless you push him..then everyone is shocked at how smart he is. When the brain realizes that like it or not "you are going to have Spanish in the conversation"..it finally gives in and you slowly start to understand.

Everyone can do what I did ..just start sprinkling the new language in to everyone and absorb media not watch it..Love the word "Casa"..hang on the word..do not think Casa means house..just love "Casa"

Finally when I said fluent..in 4-5 months I could hold and understand a Spanish conversation with anyone..at any time without even trying..after that it gets even easier ..you will get blanks where you understand nothing at time but it is just the brain rebeling and it comes back stronger

As a Russian girl just told me in America.."how can you not learn Spanish in America it is on every tv..billboard..train station.."

I never studied Spanish
I told my brain we have a new addition to the family..his name is Spanish..this is the language we are going to you with our first born child English..everyday he will be here..he is not leaving..when the brain realized I meant it ..i started to understand..

I am no genius anyone can do this..we limit ourselves more than we realize..take care

Edited by healing332 on 07 July 2009 at 3:39pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5790 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Studies: German

Message 13 of 77
07 July 2009 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
¿Pero es alfabetizado? Que quiero decir es ¿puedes leer y escribir? Pero si no es alfabetizado, no hablas español con fluidez. Sin embargo, felicidades si es verdad que hablas con las españolas, pero tu vida debe ser muy triste...

But are you literate? That is to say, can you read and write in Spanish?

Edited by ExtraLean on 07 July 2009 at 3:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Tupiniquim
Brazil
Joined 5879 days ago

184 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 14 of 77
07 July 2009 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 

Edited by Tupiniquim on 31 July 2009 at 11:56pm

Ashley_Victrola
United States
Joined 5502 days ago

416 posts - 429 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Romanian

Message 15 of 77
07 July 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Haha. This is interesting. But you did use a method. Maybe not a common method, just your own but the way you learn something is "the method" you took. All those bullet points of what you did are your method. Maybe it was rather haphazard and not very systematic but still. Not to mention a lot of those are part of others' methods.

Although I do have to say its gotta be BS that you didn't pick up one text or phrase book. If you didn't, then have your Spanish-speaking friends give you an ambiguous sentence. Or watch something like a speech from a politician where the context can't necessarily help you with the words. I find it hard to believe you'd understand it all.

Edited by Ashley_Victrola on 07 July 2009 at 5:40pm

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5875 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 77
07 July 2009 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Listening enough to a language will eventually have you picking up words here and there I reckon. Listen more and you'll pick up more words, and eventually sentences. Check Norsk Experiment by a Polish guy who learned Norwegian by listening and reading only.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version