William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6068 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 65 of 77
24 December 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I think you could learn a language to a functional level in three months. Fluency - no. Not even basic fluency as opposed to advanced fluency.

Edited by William Camden on 24 December 2009 at 7:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

RichF
Diglot
Pro Member
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5242 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 66 of 77
27 December 2009 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
I just read this post, and thought I would say hello for the first time here. I have been studying Spanish for year, and always was told that I have a great grasp of the language, and at times can "sound" native to non native speakers. This does not make me fluent, but makes gives me a strong command of the language. I can communicate with anyone about anything, and have given college lectures. That said, I have a hard time knowing the difference between some of the more subtle ways of expressing Spanish in the past and conditional forms of the subjunctive, for example. Until I can really master some of those finer points, I would never call myself fluent. Anque la majoria de la gente piensa que hablo fluente, nunca voy estar satisfecho haste que hable mucho mejor que ahora. Es un gran processo, y seria mejor te tuviera un poco humilidad, no?

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7172 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 67 of 77
27 December 2009 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Good morning Richard, and welcome to our forum!
I think you will find subjunctive constructions really easy to master by using the numerous subjunctive drills found in FSI Spanish, which you can download for free. In most cases it's just about changing one vowel in the verb to indicate possibility or thought. Very elegant and you can build on this to learn French or Italian later on. Do you watch many movies in Spanish with Spanish subtitles? There are loads of Mexican movies you can buy on Amazon, many very good. It helps understand the subtleties of the real life use of Spanish. Good luck!

RichF
Diglot
Pro Member
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5242 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 77
28 December 2009 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:
I think you will find subjunctive constructions really easy to master by using the numerous subjunctive drills found in FSI Spanish, which you can download for free. In most cases it's just about changing one vowel in the verb to indicate possibility or thought. Very elegant and you can build on this to learn French or Italian later on. Do you watch many movies in Spanish with Spanish subtitles? There are loads of Mexican movies you can buy on Amazon, many very good. It helps understand the subtleties of the real life use of Spanish. Good luck!

Thanks for the nice welcome. I understand the subjunctive well (am using FSI, lesson 43 at the moment), and certainly can use it when speaking slowly-now it is about integrating it into rapid speach. You are 100percent correct about the drills, they have served me very well. Now, its about doing it over and over. I read a lot of news and BBC mundo, and travel to Latin America four or so times a year. I speak as well as some people who refer to themselves as fairly fluent- I hold a high standard for myself!

Thanks,

Rich

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5604 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 69 of 77
28 December 2009 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
dbh2ppa wrote:
Enhorabuena! Aunque sería bueno que demostraras tus nuevas habilidades de hablar en español, por aquello de los escépticos, porque es demasiado común que en estos foro aparezca gente de vez en cuando profesando una nueva formula mágica para aprender idiomas sin realmente conocer el idioma, o a veces incluso sin darse cuenta que, aunque creían saberlo, su habilidad en el idioma es casi inexistente.
En todo caso, si has logrado realmente alcanzar fluidéz en el español en tan corto tiempo, te lo aseguro, no eres nada menos que un genio.

Bueno... Yo aprendi Español solamente mirando revistas en el baño, pero ahora nada mas que puedo hablar mierda :)

Edited by ChiaBrain on 28 December 2009 at 9:11pm

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6168 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 70 of 77
28 December 2009 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Caps lock is cruise control for cool. Cool story bro!

Edited by zerothinking on 28 December 2009 at 9:09pm

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5381 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 71 of 77
04 January 2010 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
RichF wrote:
administrator wrote:

Thanks for the nice welcome. I understand the subjunctive well (am using FSI, lesson 43 at the moment), and certainly can use it when speaking slowly-now it is about integrating it into rapid speach. You are 100percent correct about the drills, they have served me very well. Now, its about doing it over and over. I read a lot of news and BBC mundo, and travel to Latin America four or so times a year. I speak as well as some people who refer to themselves as fairly fluent- I hold a high standard for myself!

Thanks,

Rich

Where exactly is the subjunctive in FSI Spanish? Like what Lesson?

hypersport
United States
Joined 5677 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 72 of 77
04 January 2010 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
Which FSI are you referring to? Both Basic and Programmatic deal heavily with the subjunctive, present and imperfect.

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version