Ashley_Victrola
United States
Joined 5502 days ago

416 posts - 429 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Romanian

Message 17 of 77
07 July 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
I like how his method looks exactly like the OP's "not a method". I'd also like to say that it took him a HECK of a lot longer than 4 months. Heck, it takes a BABY, primed for language learning, more than 4 months to learn through saturation!

No offense dude, but your whole post (even the title) reads like an infomercial. Anyone else agree?

Edited by Ashley_Victrola on 07 July 2009 at 6:04pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5875 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 77
07 July 2009 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
He never said he could write or read though, and he never claimed to have gained native fluency. I don't see it as very unlikely. Remember, the Norsk Experiment was done by studying and listening to the language while this method seems to be based on complete immersion into the language.

I'd say the post seems to be written by someone who's very enthusiastic about his method. ;)

Edited by mrhenrik on 07 July 2009 at 6:16pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

fairyfountain
Zimbabwe
Joined 5924 days ago

254 posts - 248 votes 
5 sounds

Message 19 of 77
07 July 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I agree with mrhenrik. It is possible, he never said he had reached native fluency.
3 persons have voted this message useful

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5719 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 20 of 77
07 July 2009 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Pues, yo me tardé como un año para lograr fluidez, a lo mejor su metodo de hablar pocho si le ayudó. ¡Que suba un video en Youtube pa' callarnos la boca!

Andale compa porque aqui hay puro grillero nada mas.
1 person has voted this message useful

tapachula111
Triglot
United States
Joined 6075 days ago

22 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 21 of 77
07 July 2009 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
If you happen to be bipolar I can understand and believe everything you say-         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;      Regards, Paul
1 person has voted this message useful

healing332
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

164 posts - 211 votes 

Message 22 of 77
07 July 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Actually Sex and Lucia was one of the movies I watched maybe 30 times..I rewind a movie scene maybe 5 times..just absorbing the words.but it must be a scene that you love..not every scene..I have discovered a world of foreign films that blows hollywood away..

I would watch 1 or 2 times with English subtitles then would never use subs again. I just start speaking..In the USA Spanish is everywhere and free . In New york where I am for a few months a year everything is free.. every pimpleur is free..teach yourself is free..In the library every tv show from Steinfield to the x files are in Spanish and free..

My motivation was 4 guys hitting the clubs every weekend meeting Latinas...People LOVE when you tell them you are learning their language..they light up and love it!..

I think pimpluer(for free) and FSI is all you would ever need ..if you want to study a bit

Just speak the language and read it ..I do not even use Spanish any more and have not for 3 years and still understand everything when i hear it..I am engaged to a Scandanavian and am now doing the same thing in this language..

You do not need a phrasebook( a movie is a 90 minute phrase book) your brain knows the new language already..it just does not want to do this it wants the easy mother language ..just keep feeding it ..

Just live as a Frenchman..or Latino.. I speak Scandanavian words to my sister in America even though she understands nothing and Jeg vet inte in this language ..she laughs..She loves the word "Myket bra"...

I love Peter Bailey an older singer in Denmark..and I love Ingmar Berman movies in Swedish..I hang on their words and replay it many times..One of the best movies I have ever seen is "Evil" it is a Powerful Swedish movie i have seen it 10 times only 1 time with the English then all Swedish..my sitter was walking around saying rota..rota..rota...(the main character was called a rat for not fighting a bully back) she does not want to speak Swedish but my movies had her saying these words..
she turned to me and said they are calling him a punk right?..I said close ..a rat..
How could she know this..she was absorbing the movie without even trying to learn swedish

Key: Speak the language even one word per English sentence from day 1! People give you so much love when they see you are trying to speak their language..
Use pimpluser(free)or FSI(thanks to this site..i found out about fsi..fsi is outdated but simply skip what sound old when you look at the English side)

I think when you just start speaking the Brain just starts understanding...I say goodbye to my mom "Hejdor" (goodbye)she does not understand but i do it anyway

Again.. anyone can do this it and it worked for me
* Again fluency for me is to hold a conversation with anyone on the street at anytime easily without thinking about it*

I believe in living as a Dane..Latino..Swed.Frenchmen..from day 1

This worked for me and I hope it helps someone

Edited by healing332 on 07 July 2009 at 9:30pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

healing332
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

164 posts - 211 votes 

Message 24 of 77
08 July 2009 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Anyone can do this..I would never pay a dollar..koner..peso for any language programs
Francois Gougin learned fluent German in 6 months and showed everyone how to do it..and its FREE Like Pimluer he said all learning is in the EAR not the eye..just start speaking!

I started my day today with a call to my mom     

Hej..Hur mor du?..
Answer from mom..Who is this?..

Just start speaking and disecting movies..do not try to translate ...LOVE the foreign words in the movie...read your morning paper in the new language..play with the words..Live as a Latino..Frenchmen..Dane..now!

..Do not translate just love the movies..rewind..often..on scenes that you like or words you like..never think I am studying new language. Watch the same movie 10 times over a week..only 1 or 2 times with subs just to get the concept of the film

Throw in a free FSI course or Free Pimpluer and you will have mastered the language in a couple of months

Some how i believe speaking in the new language to anyone(even those who dont understand) activate the brain to understand this new language)

here is Gouins experience

Francois decided that the best way to learn German would be
to memorize a German grammar book and the 248 irregular German verbs. He
isolated himself in his room for ten days, and successfully memorized the
book and the verbs. Emerging from his ten-day isolation, he wished to test
his new linguistic knowledge. He hurried to the university and went from
one class to the next. Gouin recounts his experience:
-----
        But alas! In vain did I stain my ears; in vain my eye strove to
interpret the slightest movements of the lips of the professor; in vain I
passed from the first classroom to a second; not a word, not a single word
would penetrate to my understanding. Nay more than this, I did not even
distinguish a single one of the grammatical forms so newly studied; I did
not recognize even a single one of the irregular verbs just freshly learnt,
though they certainly must have fallen in crowds from the lips of the
speaker.

8 months later he was translating in front a public audience of Germans..fluent in German

Here it is public domain which means FREE!! read chapter 12..13..14..
http://books.google.com/books?id=ymViNnvQYaAC&printsec=toc&s ource=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version