5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 73 of 169
30 September 2009 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
delta910 wrote:
What if someone just wanted to go and be an interpreter like myself. I have never really thought about doing anything else my whole life really. I have never been interested in being a business interpreter actually. I want to go on and major in(or double major not sure yet) in Arabic and Spanish. I would like some opinions.

For working as an interpeter you need to have an excellent memory and be stress-resistent. I think it can be quite an interesting job, but I don't fulfil the criteria. There are other fields of interpreting such as justice, politics, army.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 September 2009 at 9:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5956 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 74 of 169
30 September 2009 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
delta910 wrote:
What if someone just wanted to go and be an interpreter like myself. I have never really thought about doing anything else my whole life really. I have never been interested in being a business interpreter actually. I want to go on and major in(or double major not sure yet) in Arabic and Spanish.

I would like some opinions.

You could go to Defense Language Institute to save yourself money from college. They teach only language and all crammed up in a year or so, so that you learn it much more efficiently than if you are learning it through 4 year period.

But it might be dangerous if they send you to Iraq to do interpretation.

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5956 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 

Message 75 of 169
30 September 2009 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
JasonBourne wrote:
'09 graduate
Economics Major w/ Japanese Studies Minor
Magna Cum Laude
$30,000 debt
ZERO job prospects

Education: worthless since 2009

the zero job prospects is just for the recession right? When the economy gets better you might get a job?

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5956 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 

Message 76 of 169
30 September 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Belardur wrote:
sebngwa3 wrote:
Sorry about my inaccurate info on the salaries of professors' salaries.

No one is upset, or, at least I'm not, LOL. Where did you get those numbers, anyway?

It was based on what I saw in a paychart of a certain not very prestigious university (Professor about 40k) and a prestigious university (Instructor 30-something thousand)

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5377 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 77 of 169
01 October 2009 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
sebngwa3 wrote:
delta910 wrote:
What if someone just wanted to go and be an interpreter like myself. I have never really thought about doing anything else my whole life really. I have never been interested in being a business interpreter actually. I want to go on and major in(or double major not sure yet) in Arabic and Spanish.

I would like some opinions.

You could go to Defense Language Institute to save yourself money from college. They teach only language and all crammed up in a year or so, so that you learn it much more efficiently than if you are learning it through 4 year period.

But it might be dangerous if they send you to Iraq to do interpretation.

Where is the DFI? I'd love to study there for fun lol :D

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 78 of 169
01 October 2009 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
I thought that the DFI was only for military personnel. I didn't think that citizens could study there.

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5956 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 

Message 79 of 169
01 October 2009 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Yes, I meant you could join the military and go to DFI. I read that if you get Chinese you are safe doing translations in the States but if you get Arabic you have to interpret in Iraq which can be dangerous: "They'll send you to Iraq, Afghanistan, or Korea every other year if you are an linguist. If you are a Chinese language linguist, you are in good shape, though. You'll be deployed to Maryland for 4 years" http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ak2hI4QhV0PD NzOK0iIyAOexSAx.;_ylv=3?qid=20090926230616AA5yvZJ

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5956 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 

Message 80 of 169
01 October 2009 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Here's what a Chinese linguist has to say about how good being a Chinese linguist is in the military:

Another big exception to the general uselessness of military training is language school.

If anyone is seriously considering the miitary, reserve linguist is the only way to go, seriously. I am currently in the reserves, the army paid hundreds of thousands to teach me to speak chinese. My unit isn't deploying till 2013 at the earliest, and I get paid full time salary plus a hefty housing allowance to translate chinese open source documents from my home six hours a day, as well as do one hour of language maintenance (i.e. watch movies in chinese) and 1 hour of PT. I get paid to practice chinese and work out. On top of that, I get paid to go to any further language training I want, including 6 week immersions in Hawaii, 3 week immersions in China, and other cool programs all over the country (like 1 weekend per month an hour from my sister's house, and 1500 miles from my house). On those trips you get a hefty per diem rate in addition to regular pay. When I do move back by my unit (which I will pretty soon) I will have to start working there, but the atmosphere is extremely relaxed. Show up sometime between 8 and 10, leave somewhere between 2 and 4:30. My direct boss lives over 1000 miles away and mainly just cares that I get stuff translated (which is fun). If I decide I don't want to do this anymore, I will go back to school to study acupuncture, and the army will cover the full cost of my tuition, plus 1000 dollars a year in books and fees and close to 2000 dollars a month in housing allowance (it is more in many areas of the country). I'm actually trying to decide between this and going back to study advanced mandarin for a year. My unit even offered to send me back for a second (er..third) language.

If you are female it is even better. My wife got 2 years of language and SIGINT training, a TS/SCI clearance, and 80% of the GI bill, and is now getting out with an honorable discharge for pregnancy. It is pretty hard to get out before your contract is up if you're a male and still get an honorable discharge, but unlike most of these people seem to think, it is extremely easy to get out if you don't mind a general discharge (that's right, general-under honorable conditions, not "other than honorable" or "dishonorable"). There are dozen's ofways, consistently fail PT tests, say you can't stop drinking, family care plan issue, etc etc etc.

If you are smart, you can get a good deal from the army, but you will have to shovel some bullshit to get through the initial training, and the unit you end up with determines your experience. If you are active duty, you have zero say in the matter. The bottom line is the army will do everything it can to make sure it gets more from you than you get from it. The vast majority of the time it succeeds.
*just to clear it up, if you get a bad unit, nothing the army can give you is worth the bullshit. With a good unit like mine though, they treat you well and respect you. They've earned my respect to the point that I actually want to finish my contract now (as opposed to previous plans to get the language and get out) and I feel like giving something back. A lesson of duty, respect and leadership that the majority of the army sorely needs. You do learn a lot about leadership in the army. Usually through examples of what not to do, though there have been a few amazing counterexamples in my career.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version